Dang Velas...

OK, sure... As long as we're all drooling'... why not? :D

DH4kUHuh.jpg
The figuring on that is incredible. I was in the most Southeastern area of Brazil a couple years ago where the wood was reclaimed from old buildings. Mariscal and Bombinas were REALLY cool places!

I can't get over how much I love this dang Vela! Lately I've been on an amp kick far more than guitars. I've not only been looking at amps but swapping tubes at the house. Today, I was trying out a set.. Plugged in my favorite Strat, ok but didn't really dial in to my full liking. Did the same for the Les Paul, pretty freakin' sweet. Grabbed the Core Cu24, yup that's my good 'ol core 24. Then the Vela, man I'm in love! This guitar is amazing, if you're not part of the cult yet, drink it..

drink-weird-science0bd793928928ba35.gif

Last edited:
I can't get over how much I love this dang Vela! Lately I've been on an amp kick far more than guitars. I've not only been looking at amps but swapping tubes at the house. Today, I was trying out a set.. Plugged in my favorite Strat, ok but didn't really dial in to my full liking. Did the same for the Les Paul, pretty freakin' sweet. Grabbed the Core Cu24, yup that's my good 'ol core 24. Then the Vela, man I'm in love! This guitar is amazing, if you're not part of the cult yet, drink it..

drink-weird-science0bd793928928ba35.gif

Hail!!!

So I've been in the honeymoon phase with my S2 CU22 of late, hadn't pulled out Daisy for a bit. Decided today should be Vela day, plugged into the VHT...good gods, I still love this guitar over all others!!! Velas are still just so dang magical...from my cold dead hands...

So I've been in the honeymoon phase with my S2 CU22 of late, hadn't pulled out Daisy for a bit. Decided today should be Vela day, plugged into the VHT...good gods, I still love this guitar over all others!!! Velas are still just so dang magical...from my cold dead hands...

What’s your favorite thing about it? Also, if you could change one thing what would it be?

I agree 1000% I may not always grab it first but everytime I do it's in love all over again. I had a nice acoustic sunrise session this morning with my Vela semihollow. Sooo good

What’s your favorite thing about it? Also, if you could change one thing what would it be?

Favorite is the tone - particularly in the middle position. It can chime, twang, growl, scream or sing, and it sounds great in any position.

In my case, I'd change the color - I've never been a fan of black guitars in general, just happened to find this one and fell in love with it. Beyond that, I'd rather have a mini toggle for the coil split instead of the push-pull pot.

Favorite is the tone - particularly in the middle position. It can chime, twang, growl, scream or sing, and it sounds great in any position.

In my case, I'd change the color - I've never been a fan of black guitars in general, just happened to find this one and fell in love with it. Beyond that, I'd rather have a mini toggle for the coil split instead of the push-pull pot.
Would you ever swap either of the pickups? If so what would you change to?

I agree with this too, except Im a fan of my finish and do like black guitars. Well, black guitars are like black cars. I like them when new and clean but always end up wishing I got another color.

Hadn't thought about it, but I'd probably take a toggle over push pull too. While at it I'd swap the electronics, switch and volume pot, but keep the pickups. I'm really digging 'em. Eventually I will swap the toggle and volume pot. It's keeps getting pushed on my list, but I have both parts. Heck I have a mini toggle too, hmm...

Lots of love for the Vela here! Got mine from Sweetwater on 12/3, the semi hollowbody in Tobacco burst and I am loving this guitar!

For about 2 years I've been playing an Epiphone SG Pro and was rather enjoying it. The pickups were questionable but I never got around to replacing them but one day I'd like to. Wanted to take a step up and for the longest time I wanted a Gibson '61 SG Reissue. I even played one at my local music store and man, that thing played great. But yet......I wanted something different. Didn't know the first thing about PRS guitars and one day for some reason PRS just popped into my head. Still don't know why. Did my homework and I went to YouTube and started listening to various videos of different PRS guitars. Joined the forum here asking about a few different models and tried some used ones out at my local music store. Nice, but I wasn't totally sold. Then (drum roll) I came across the Vela on YouTube. This one really grabbed my attention and of what I could tell it had the sound I'd been looking for but could not find. There's a fellow on YouTube named Phillip McKnight who's a good player and does a lot of reviews and he compared the Vela solid body to the semi hollow body. I was sold on the semi hollwbody. He said "with the bridge pickup, there's a bit of Tele, a bit of Gretsch and a bit of SG." I could not agree more with the man. You got the clarity of a Tele and a Gretsch but you've got some muscle on the higher end of an SG. But yet, it has its own thing going on. The neck pickup is wonderful and there's no boom or drone out of it. I was beginning to think that finding a neck pickup with no boom was impossible. Not with this neck pickup!

This guitar is so comfortable to play while standing. The light weight and the way it balances is perfect for me, especially with my back. Due to an old injury from years ago I can't stand for too long of periods at a time and this guitar is very easy on my back. More so than with my Epiphone.

Finally, a guitar that agrees with me. And with all of you!

Another member of the Vela Club here. Picked up a second hand one this weekend.

Absolutely loving it...so much fun to play. Have noticed the pickup toggle is quite wobbly in the middle position. Assume it's not normal? If it needs replacing does anyone know if it's one of those 3 way angled switches?

E.g. https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/par...raft-3-way-angled-toggle-switch-nickel-p13781

I just checked the toggle switch on mine. Not wobbly at all in any of the 3 positions. But again, I just received mine on 12/3 so it's still new .Since you bought yours second hand maybe the previous owner was a bit heavy handed when using the toggle switch.

Another member of the Vela Club here. Picked up a second hand one this weekend.

Absolutely loving it...so much fun to play. Have noticed the pickup toggle is quite wobbly in the middle position. Assume it's not normal? If it needs replacing does anyone know if it's one of those 3 way angled switches?

E.g. https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/par...raft-3-way-angled-toggle-switch-nickel-p13781

The electronics in the S2 line are the weak link. A switchcraft swap will take care of it for you.

The electronics in the S2 line are the weak link. A switchcraft swap will take care of it for you.

My switch actually was not wobbling, switched to a switchcraft and now it wiggles in the middle position lol. Can’t win.

I still can't believe you sold the blue one. I mean, I thought fur sure that once you dyed your beard to match, that was going to be #1. :D

Back