Dan

Dan

Could I get some feedback , suggestions on a electric guitar for an adult beginner ? I want a USA model and i would like a all around instrument to play just for myself or with friends .

Well do you want a new instrument or a used one? I think any PRS is a big investiment, especially for someone who is a beginner. With that being said, if you really enjoy playing then by all means you should get a PRS and enjoy the heck out of it. If you wanted a new instrument I would look at a Custom 24 - its the flagship model and just super versatile. If you wanted to go used first, I would look for a CE 22 or CE 24. They are super affordable on the used market, Maryland made and just amazing instruments.

Either way good luck and welcome!

New or used...hmmm...you can find great deals on McCarty as well as CU's and CE's. I don't think you can go wrong with a CU or a CE or a McCarty, or a Mira, or a Starla.

Get a DGT. You will have the most versatile PRS and instantly be in the cool kids club! Just swap out the bridge DGT pickup for a 59/09 and now you have the best sounding PRS as well. I've been told the gold top DGT's are especially nice :)

Could I get some feedback , suggestions on a electric guitar for an adult beginner ? I want a USA model and i would like a all around instrument to play just for myself or with friends .

If you are dead set on getting a Made in Maryland PRSi, the Custom 24 is the all around quintessential model. However, everybody who's anybody knows the DGT is the one to have. Especially the DGT Standard. I don't say this because that is my current favorite, that is purely a coincidence.

Is there a weird echo in here???

But seriously, I'd urge you as a beginner to maybe start with an SE... The spirit of the Maryland instruments is there and you'll know soon enough if you wanna stick with guitar or not. Then, it would be very easy to discern which model will work best for you in the long run.

Last edited:
Screw the popularity contest.

Go to your nearest dealer and bang out some cowboy chords on anything they'll hand you. Buy the one that you can't live without.

Go to your nearest dealer and bang out some cowboy chords on anything they'll hand you. Buy the one that you can't live without.

+1 on that sentiment. That's how I bought my first guitar. Buy what feels good and sounds good to you through an amp you are likely two own. The amp can make a big difference as well. Once you're sure you'll stick with it you can always upgrade later as we all do. That said if you are set on a PRSi, Hopeful Sinner is right. The SEs are excellent instruments, most of us have one or have owned one at some point. The SE is a great entry point for new player.

This^^

+1 on that sentiment. That's how I bought my first guitar. Buy what feels good and sounds good to you through an amp you are likely two own. The amp can make a big difference as well. Once you're sure you'll stick with it you can always upgrade later as we all do. That said if you are set on a PRSi, Hopeful Sinner is right. The SEs are excellent instruments, most of us have one or have owned one at some point. The SE is a great entry point for new player.

This too^^
Hard to argue when someone agrees with me...

+100 on everything thats been said. I adore my CE and my SE and prices for a used PRS (or any quality electric guitar) have never been lower than they are right now, looking forward to hearing about your new guitar day.

Word. You really need to try some out. You may find a preference in scale and neck. I prefer the chunkier wide fat neck, and 22 frets. Others like the 24 fret wide thin necks. You may find you have a preference.

Get yourself to a guitar center, or other store which will have several models, and start noodling! (though I am partial to the Custom 22, and Ted McCarty Limited, myself!)

Start by teaching your friend a couple of basic chords and a simple run or melody. Get them to the point where they can play this little bit without looking.

Take your friend (and their wallet) to your favorite guitar store,

Blindfold them. This is important.

Plug into a neutral TUBE amp - no distortion, no reverb, no effects at all, tone controls set straight up middle.

Swap out guitars for your friend as they play the same stuff over and over on each guitar. No peeking. Have them rate them as you go, revisiting guitars as necessary. Which FEELS the best in their hands? Which SOUNDS the best to their ears? Rate them from worst to 'you can't pry this one out of my hands' .

Take off the blindfold. Stick a crowbar in their wallet and buy the one they can best afford on the high end of feel and sound.

Hung up on color? Don't be - if your friend actually takes to guitar, this is not the last one they will buy. They can get picky about color later. They have to be able to play the damn thing now and enjoy what they hear.

It is the classic Ginger or Mary Ann question. The smart money is on Mary Ann....

Last edited:
Well... you said USA model so....
I'd say either a Custom 24, or a Mira. They will both cover a wide range of tones/genres/music styles.
That being said, try 'em all because you really need to be happy with playing the guitar you like instead of cramming a certain guitar into your style/desires/pocketbook.
Best of luck buddy, and please do let us know what you decided on.
Oh... BTW... PRS is like Lays potato chips. One ain't gonna cut it.
:>)

I would ask you what sort of music do you like and what sort you anticipate playing. That way you get something that suits the kind of music you like. f you are a blues guy, I would steer you away from a Custom 24. If you are into Metal, I would probably steer you away from a Hollowbody, etc.

For the first PRS, I would definitely go try a bunch out. Only way to find out what you like. A lot of PRS are fairly versatile, but some cater to more specific styles than others.

Back