DAMMIT Mr. P!

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
For the third time now, one of the wires to the battery pack in Mr. P (P22) has come un-soldered, resulting in giggus interruptus! I hadn't opened the battery compartment in several months, and it still came loose! I bought this guitar in order to quit carrying a real acoustic, which takes up valuable space on some of the small stages we play, as well as not having to carry an extra large case in and out of the venues. When it's working, it's the bees knees, but this is getting old. Any suggestions to keep the wiring in tact PERMANENTLY?

Last edited:
3rd time? Maybe find a new guitar tech?
Any connection shouldn't be coming lose through normal use. Do you have pics of what is failing?

Hotter soldering iron and different solder. All the old solder has to be removed first, then the wire can be re-soldered using fresh off the roll 95/5 flux core solder. It takes a bit more heat to get it to flow and bond, but once it does, it stays for a good long time. You may also consider a longer wire battery harness to allow for some stress relief so that as the battery "floats" in its compartment it does not tug on the wire and solder joint.

Yeah, sounds like you (or your tech) just need to completely re-solder. I will be the first to admit I need to upgrade my soldering iron, and improve my technique.

Could be tack-soldered. Though I would ask if the wire is comin out of the solder, or if the wire is breaking. Could be that the tech is stripping too vigorously and breaking some of the wire strands. If so, the wire could be replaced with a heavier bit of wire.

All above soldering suggestions are also critical.

foam around the battery to hold it in place.

For the third time now, one of the wires to the battery pack in Mr. P (P22) has come un-soldered, resulting in giggus interruptus! I hadn't opened the battery compartment in several months, and it still came loose! I bought this guitar in order to quit carrying a real acoustic, which takes up valuable space on some of the small stages we play, as well as not having to carry an extra large case in and out of the venues. When it's working, it's the bees knees, but this is getting old. Any suggestions to keep the wiring in tact PERMANENTLY?

If possible, (I don't know, not having seen the guitars guts) but whenever possible, always make a mechanical connection before soldering. If I'm saying this correctly... what I mean is, on a pedal circuit board, I'll stick a cap through the hole, bend the lead out, then solder... make it touch the outside so it would stay in place without solder. But more importantly, with wires, whenever there is a loop connection, always wrap the wire first so you can tug it gently and it will still be connected, THEN solder. Then, anything that physically pulls on it (the weight of the battery perhaps) won't stress the solder itself because the wire is wrapped then soldered. So it pulls on the wire instead and won't keep breaking connection.

I'm not a soldering guru, but properly heated solder, clean connections and the use of flux where possible will improve the flow of solder in the joint.

Back