Dallas vs HXDA

Les' "Favorite" settings for the HXDA:

Note: I set the guitar to get a good semi-clean "edge of breakup tone" with the guitar volume on any of my PRSes at around 5-6. So that's where I start. That way I can roll up the volume for a great overdriven sound, and roll it down a touch for a nice clean sound.

These are the settings I use most often; I like to get an elastic, "Duane Live At The Fillmore With A Little More Crunch Up Top" tone.

Switches, left to right: DA, DA, HX

Knobs, left to right:

HXDA Gain: 10-12 o'clock, depending on the guitar

Bass Gain: 8-9 o'clock, depending on the guitar, cabinet and room

Treble: 10 o'clock (at relatively low volumes, more treble = too much scream, but at very high volume things can change).

Middle: 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock, depending on the guitar

Bass: 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock, depending on the guitar, the cabinet and the room

Presence: 10 o'clock-12 o'clock, depending on room

Master Volume: usually around 12 o'clock - 2 o'clock depending on whether someone comes to my door with a gun telling me to turn it down. ;) Yes, it's loud this way. But vintage style amps like to be opened up (though the HXDA has a good master volume IMHO).

With hotter pickups I keep the gain lower, with less hot pickups, or if I split the pickups, I turn the gain up.

I don't do this song by song, because I write originals. So I'm not shooting for someone else's tones, except, as noted above I like the general overall sound of the Fillmore recording with this amp -- or at least what I think of as that sound in my mind's ear.

More notes:

I have an NOS early 70s Mullard in the V1 preamp tube position, and some cherry-picked-for-low-noise JJ ECC83S tubes in V2 and 3, however, I plan to install another NOS Mullard in V2 at some point (I have one on hand), along with a set of Siemens NOS EL34s made in Germany (probably by RFT). I'm waiting for the stock Winged Cs to wear out before I do that, however.

Final Note: These are settings I use with a PRS birch ply Big Mouth 2x12 with V-30s. These settings also worked with my old Mesa Recto 2x12 closed back. They might be different with other cabs.

I tried these settings Les along with my PRS McCarty 594.I was just noodling around trying to get a feel for the tone and I stumbled across the opening riff for Hells Bells by AC/DC. I've never played that song before but I feel like it just jumped out at me because that was the tone I was getting from the amp and guitar. Sounded really good! :)

I tried these settings Les along with my PRS McCarty 594.I was just noodling around trying to get a feel for the tone and I stumbled across the opening riff for Hells Bells by AC/DC. I've never played that song before but I feel like it just jumped out at me because that was the tone I was getting from the amp and guitar. Sounded really good! :)

Nice!

In the interest of full disclosure, something else that I feel is worth mentioning to anyone thinking about buying one of these high end hand wired boutique category amplifiers, is this... (It seems that I always learn these lessons the hard way.) Brand new, the Dallas cost much more than an Archon, and the HXDA cost three times what an Archon would cost. While it is true that great tone can cost a lot of money, (and rightfully so) and the old rule of "things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them" also applies (further justifying the cost) one should make absolutely certain that they REALLY want one of these amps before they commit to buying one. Basically, should you ever decide that you want to sell one of these amps on the used market, it will probably be pretty difficult to find someone who has the same appreciation for outstanding tone, and someone who is also willing to put out the money you did in order to buy the amp in the first place. (I'm thinking about the guy on Craigslist who offered to even-trade me an Archon for my HXDA. hahaha... yea, right!)

My situation right this minute is this... as a Metalhead and someone who appreciates great versatility in amplifiers, I find myself in a situation where I will be using the Archon much more than the Dallas or the HXDA. While they all sound fantastic in their own respective ways, it has occurred to me that I have amps which cost two and three times what my Archon cost but don't get played as much. That is a staggering amount of money to have tied up in something that I don't use that much (meaning they aren't my #1 preferred amps). So, the moral of the story is to just make sure that you REALLY, REALLY want one of these high end specialty amps like the Dallas or the HXDA before you buy one because the two of you are probably going to be living with each other for a very long time.

That is a staggering amount of money to have tied up in something that I don't use that much (meaning they aren't my #1 preferred amps). So, the moral of the story is to just make sure that you REALLY, REALLY want one of these high end specialty amps like the Dallas or the HXDA before you buy one because the two of you are probably going to be living with each other for a very long time.

It's always a good idea to buy what you need and will use, and not buy things that you don't!

I'll never sell my HXDA or DG30; in fact, I've been gradually investing in NOS tubes for these amps so they'll always sound top-notch. They're keepers!

I will always have a need for classic sounding amplifiers, both for my own work, and for sessions when I hire players to come into my studio to play on client projects. So for a person like me, who depends on having the right equipment for my livelihood, it's not a major investment.

For a semi-pro or hobby player, it might make sense only to have amps one will use on a daily basis. However, I'll also say this: if you hang onto the HXDA and the Dallas, and think of them as lifetime investments, you won't regret having them.

My advice is to forget about the money, and not be distracted by the next shiny object.

Realistically, the premium PRS amp heads are viewed, in the used market, at the same value...be it Dallas, HXDA, MDT, Recording, etc. The Archon's value shifts with popularity, but imo, 30-40% below the previously mentioned models. But the difference between a new Archon and a used premium PRS amp is negligible. Like buying a car, if you just have to have that new car smell and don't care about the value loss after walking out of the store, then enjoy. Otherwise, patience and persistence in your shopping can yield some really good buys that leave you with little or no remorse.

My newest bumper sticker.

You may have to have that bumper sticker custom made, Boog...

But seriously, there's no smell more magnificent IMHO than opening the case of a new PRS guitar, or amp fresh from the factory. Yummy.

However, there are certainly other worthwhile and lovely smells...;)

Agreed. It's been a while for me, but you get a mother load of Kent Island mojo when you walk into Markie's case room. It's very soothing. In fact, our brutha-from-anotha-mutha, iahawk36 sleeps in there whenever he visits. He snoozes like a baby and dreams of being a rock star.

Last edited:
Back