D'Addario Auto Lock Guitar Strap?

THAWK819

Has anyone tried the D'Addario auto lock guitar strap on a PRS with our pancake sized strap buttons?

I've been searching for the best strap to secure my McCarty 594 and not having much luck so far. I tried 2 PRS straps and neither felt very secure, with the ends not fitting entirely under the strap button once over it.

The best so far has been a Mono Betty strap, but even that is starting to fray at the button hole so it doesn't sit cleanly under the pin anymore.

These auto lock straps seem like they would be perfect if they can fit over the larger PRS strap buttons.

FYI... I don't want to remove the stock strap buttons to replace with any other brand of locking strap buttons. Silly as it may sound, this guitar is "perfect" to me, and I really want to keep it completely stock.

I was one of the beta testers for this strap and the strap they sent me would not fit over my PRS strap buttons. But worked very well on all my other guitars (Fender, Gibson's, etc.) Bodie

Has anyone tried the D'Addario auto lock guitar strap on a PRS with our pancake sized strap buttons?

I've been searching for the best strap to secure my McCarty 594 and not having much luck so far. I tried 2 PRS straps and neither felt very secure, with the ends not fitting entirely under the strap button once over it.

The best so far has been a Mono Betty strap, but even that is starting to fray at the button hole so it doesn't sit cleanly under the pin anymore.

These auto lock straps seem like they would be perfect if they can fit over the larger PRS strap buttons.

FYI... I don't want to remove the stock strap buttons to replace with any other brand of locking strap buttons. Silly as it may sound, this guitar is "perfect" to me, and I really want to keep it completely stock.

I use these: https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...Addario_Planet_Waves_Elliptical_End_Pins.html

If you mean these, yes I fitted them to a Heistercamp strap recently. They are shorter and less of an eyesore than most similar straplocks. Its also true that you can use a regular strap on the pins attached to the guitar. However.... These locks (on the strap) will not fit onto regular strap pins on your other guitars. Neither can you just buy more pairs of pins for your other guitars. You have to buy further entire sets just to get the end pins.

These locks work very well and are well designed & made. Like other strap locks, they rattle a bit, but not as much as Dunlops.

I actually prefer the much cheaper 'bottle washer' method of strap retainer, but of course that means leaving the strap on the guitar permanently. No good if you have a bespoke case with a snug fit.
DAddario_Planet_Waves_Universal_Strap_Lock_System.jpg

If you mean these, yes I fitted them to a Heistercamp strap recently. They are shorter and less of an eyesore than most similar straplocks. Its also true that you can use a regular strap on the pins attached to the guitar. However.... These locks (on the strap) will not fit onto regular strap pins on your other guitars. Neither can you just buy more pairs of pins for your other guitars. You have to buy further entire sets just to get the end pins.

These locks work very well and are well designed & made. Like other strap locks, they rattle a bit, but not as much as Dunlops.

I actually prefer the much cheaper 'bottle washer' method of strap retainer, but of course that means leaving the strap on the guitar permanently. No good if you have a bespoke case with a snug fit.
DAddario_Planet_Waves_Universal_Strap_Lock_System.jpg
No, I mean the elliptical shaped....see the link.

Then this is what you want:
http://lockitstraps.com/

I use them on all my guitars now. I wouldn't use 'em to swing my guitar around my neck, but they're secure enough that I trust them for everyday use. I can't stand metal strap locks.

I read an amazon review of the Auto Lock strap that said it fit perfectly on his CE24. So I ordered one today and hopefully it actually fits.

I’d be interested to know how it works when you get it. I just got a “Lock-it” brand strap and it fits... but not as easily as I hoped. It was actually a heck of a struggle to get on, especially since you have to hold the lock open WHILE trying to fight the strap pin through the opening. Since I’ve been keeping it in the hard case whenever it isn’t being played, I’m really hoping to find a secure strap option that is easy on/easy off.

I use the Auto Lock strap on a Silver Sky and two CE24's. I had to replace the strap buttons but that is cheap and quick and easy to put back if I ever need to.

Damn... hardware change is a deal breaker for me. As picky as it sounds; the guitar I wanted this for is a McCarty 594, wood library, limited run. I REALLY don’t want to change out any hardware.

Egh... back to the drawing board I guess.

I have the 2.75 inch brown leather Lock-it strap. It fits, but I find it even harder to get on to the giant PRS strap button than a standard strap.

ugh... I can’t believe there hasn’t been a better solution invented for this yet. Easy on, easy off, no hardware mod, but secure while it’s on.

Strap buttons count as a hardware change? It’s less than a two minute job. First thing I did with my 594 was put some EB strap locks on it.

It’s not at all an issue of thinking it would be difficult to change them. I fully admit I’m being REALLY picky by stubbornly sticking with the original strap buttons. My goal is to keep everything completely original; I don’t even like the idea of unscrewing the originals and putting them back in.

I’m completely looking to “have my cake and eat it too,” with something that is easy to put on and take off, yet reliably secure while it’s on.

I have two of the D'Addario auto lock guitar straps. I use them (well, one at a time) on my Paul’s Guitar and a Collings I-35 LC. The design is great. They are very easy to use and feel very secure. I am a huge fan of them.

The straps fit both guitars without modification. But the PG fit was really tight at the upper horn. Like the strap didn’t want to move—rotate—after it was on. I was worried about damaging the finish on the guitar, so I installed a little rubber washer between the strap button and guitar. This added about 1/8” to 1/4” of distance between the pancake of the strap button and the guitar. It is completely unnoticeable when the strap is on. But, it is a very tiny mod to the guitar. It’s completely reversible, but still a mod. If you don’t mind, I think you will really like the auto lock strap.

Back in the day before there were strap locks I would fashion a short leather strap to stay permanently connected to the strap button. On the other end of this small leather strap was a hook to connect to the strap. Nothing to change or unscrew.

The idea is to attach something difficult to get on/off the strap button and then make an easy connection between that and the strap.

You may want to consider some sort of a custom solution like this.

Back