Da Nasty

G-Man

So I have seen a few very nice guitars for sale with one or two teeth missing. Scratches on the tops which make them seem ugly but workable? Any experience with using super glue to drop fill these scratches as long as it is not showing raw wood?

Caveat. If I ever sold the guitar, I would fully disclose the repair.

If it's a nice guitar I'd send it to the PTC or an experienced shop, or at least get advice from them. A lot of damage can be repaired though, if you know how to do it. :)

I have tried drop filling before. It can be done, but you gotta be very careful with the sanding or you'll get down to the wood. Easier than you'd think. I wouldn't do it on V12 finish.

Use micromesh wet sanding pads etc.

This is only for poly finished guitars - not nitro.

Superglue was the right option for me. A stand collapse on stage resulted in 2 divots in the middle of the flame top of my Cu24 from bouncing on the 1/4" jack tip.

Before:
cu24-wound.jpg

cu24post.jpg

After:
cu24repair.jpg

Last edited:
Boogie,
I learned the hard way and now only use my guitar case as a stand. Murphy's Law is always lurking near an unscratched guitar.

I'd rather gig them and risk damage than keep them in a case and let them collect dust (not that you do :)). If was a freak failure (Ultimate Support stands should be avoided) but accidents happen.

I understand, Boogie. Yes, I play live all the time. That is where any accidents I have had were encountered.
I did use Ultimate Support stands and either band mates or drunks never failed to find them, no matter where they were put on stage. I switched to Hercules stands and the same things occurred. I just threw up my hands in defeat and started using the cases for protection. That saved me on several occasions in the last five years already.

In a concert, I would use stands rather then haul cases on stage, but for bar work, I use the cases.
That seems to be where the damage always crops up.

Hey G-Man...good question...I think most (nearly all) guitars are meant to be played, hence worn in. I love seeing a guitar that has been the player's number 1 for years, and he is "one with the axe". i.e.: the White PRS Ghost (??) from around here,SRV, Rory Gallagher, Willie Nelson, Victor Wooten's Fodera, etc...all good worn guitars. But, I have a gorgeous 10 top McSoapy that I wipe after even looking at it...ok, not really, but a few just should be kept gorgeous, IMHO.
There are those that state they all should be played, and I cannot argue that fact, though.

I understand, Boogie. Yes, I play live all the time. That is where any accidents I have had were encountered.
I did use Ultimate Support stands and either band mates or drunks never failed to find them, no matter where they were put on stage. I switched to Hercules stands and the same things occurred. I just threw up my hands in defeat and started using the cases for protection. That saved me on several occasions in the last five years already.

In a concert, I would use stands rather then haul cases on stage, but for bar work, I use the cases.
That seems to be where the damage always crops up.
Amen, brutha. Every time a drunk stumbles toward me it's my pedalboard that I worry about. But when it's a drunk chick lumbering close to my gear it gets tougher to do a defensive body-check. ;) Some of those girls are bigger than me!

Hell, I forgot about the pedal board and transgressors! ARGH! Mine has more of other people's foot prints on it then mine!
And of course, the band asked me to stand up front next to the lead singer!
Then there is the mic stand when other people bump into it and I get a mic in the teeth.

oh you mean butterface guitars? :eek:

Sure, I'll buy damaged/abused/neglected PRS. I do not venture into stuff like destroyed necks or the copper CE24 that was shot. See my posts about The Dog of Frankenstein. I'm tempted to have the face cracks filled in with chrome paint, because that would be an asinine thing to do.

Great info guys. Thanks! The last one I saw was a really nice MCarty with a red flame 10 top. Perfect other than a two inch scratch on the lower horn.

BTW Boogie....that is one killer top! I am really looking for something different so I am focusing my search on McCarty's or SAS. This one really caught my eye but that is one big zit on the nose. Working with the seller on price. Stay tuned.

As with my luck lately, someone snapped it up. He who hesitates is lost I guess......

Back