Custom orders? (Not Private Stock)

mblasick

Hi all

I've been searching the site and these forums for an answer, and was hoping that someone could give a quick response as to what to do. I'm finally going to spring for a new guitar, but I would like a different color than what is offered. Specifically, I'm looking for a P22, and the two colors that I really like are now discontinued.

My questions:
1. For any special order, must I contact a local dealer (I do know two) who would place the order for me?
2. Can I order a color that is no longer offered? I'm thinking Black Cherry or Raspberry. I can't believe that neither of those is offered anymore. In fact, there isn't a true "red" color offered at all, which blows my mind. (Not counting bursts, of course.)
3. If I can order a custom color, will it dramatically effect the price of the guitar? Or will it simply mean that I have to wait longer to get the finished guitar?

Any feedback that can be offered is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks, Homer. So Black Cherry is still available...but as part of an artist package. I don't really want to do that, because it essentially doubles the price of a guitar. I'm just trying to find out if (a) I can get a "non-standard" color on a standard model guitar , and (b) if I can order a non-standard color, how do I go about ordering it.

Thanks.

Matt

mblasick said:
Thanks, Homer. So Black Cherry is still available...but as part of an artist package. I don't really want to do that, because it essentially doubles the price of a guitar. I'm just trying to find out if (a) I can get a "non-standard" color on a standard model guitar , and (b) if I can order a non-standard color, how do I go about ordering it.

Thanks.

Matt

Please note that the prices on the artist sheet are MSRP, not actual street price so you won't be anywhere near "double the price". So not only will you get your color, you'll get an upgraded top to artist grade (just below of Private Stock), special inlays, headstock veneer as well as the option to get a maple neck/board if you'd like!

Seems worth it to me :cool:

Thank you to all. (especially Twin Fan) I did not see the 'special order option,' which is just what I need. I really don't have the $ to get an artist package. And I really just want a plain-jane guitar (not even a 10 top)...but one with a color that's not regularly offered.

Thanks again!

mblasick said:
Thank you to all. (especially Twin Fan) I did not see the 'special order option,' which is just what I need. I really don't have the $ to get an artist package. And I really just want a plain-jane guitar (not even a 10 top)...but one with a color that's not regularly offered.

Thanks again!

You can always have PTC do a refinish - but economically speaking it might not be much, if any, cheaper than just upgrading to an Artist pack. Especially since the P22 is so new and are hardly available 2nd hand.

Either way good luck!

I'll vouch for the PTC. they did a refin from black cherry to charcole burst that was fenominal. They are currently working on my me quatro. They are artist and are very reasonable. Buy a used guitar that plays how you want then get it refinished. :D

I checked with a very reliable dealer about the custom color option on a P22. I was told Private Stock colors and any colors unique to the Artist package were not available. It would have to be a color offered on a current production guitar and some of them may not be available (e.g., white wash). A change in the sunburst pattern (edge vs. teardrop) would also be an option in some cases.

Being black cherry is a recently discontinued production color, it might be worth asking if it available as a custom color. I ended up ordering a production color (amber black) P22 with a quilt 10-top since the Artist package plus the quilt upcharge was more than I was willing to pay to get the exact color I wanted.

I have a PRS Special in fire red burst and it is quite close in color to a black cherry Custom 24 I used to own. The red is slightly brighter for the fire red burst. The black around the edge is narrow and you can still see the flame pattern through black. The black burst is quite subtle. Scarlet smokeburst has a much darker and more pronounced black edge to my eyes.

special_800.jpg

Contact your local dealer... he will then relay what you want with his rep who get get an answer for you from the factory, along with the price upcharge. It only takes about a day or two...

If you don't get any answers, call or email me...

Back