Custom Core Trems

Dakota3711

Hey All,

About 6 months ago I had a chance to discover PRS by getting an incredible deal on a new 2019 Custom Core 22 in Trampas Green. I kick myself now after all these years for not giving any consideration to PRS! Although it may have been kinder to my pocketbook, I think of the years I’ve missed out on playing such an incredible guitar.

Well I started to look for a Custom Core 24 because I needed to have that owl... and I was so impressed with my 22. I wasn’t sure between the standard Trem or the Floyd. I play out and a few songs we have I use the trem quite heavy on. I had seen a few articles online saying that the current trems on the PRS line will hang with the Floyd’s almost just as well. I get that it won’t be perfect as there is no locking nut.

Turns out that I had another great opportunity to obtain a new PRS. This time is was a 2019 Custom Core 24 10 Top in Charcoal “Hybrid”. It has the standard PRS trem on it like my 22.

I’m looking for any heavy trem users out there for tips on how to keep it in better tune. I have cranked the springs in so that I cannot pull up on it. When I do any dives, it seems like the strings stay sharp when it returns to the zero position. If I use my fingers and pull the strings up away from the neck, they drop back down to almost the correct pitch. I’ve tried using some nut lube, but that’s not really helping.

Any tips or thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated!

The trem is designed to float. The only PRS set up for decking is the Silver Sky. Putting it all the way back like that is probably causing it not to sit in the notches in the screws.

I haven't ever had tuning problems with the PRS trem in it's standard config, as the nut is graphite impregnated and the tuners lock. I even have one from '91 with a trem uprout, like a Floyd, because 90s.

Were you having problems with tuning when it was floating?

Both of my core trems hold tune just fine when set up to float. I just use a little lube in the nut slots before a session, and hardly ever go out of tune, even after "dive bombs". Like Black Plaid said, it's not really designed to be decked, so you may be causing more problems than you are solving by doing so.

As long as you didn't go to a thicker gauge string, you should be fine...
Being a brand new guitar, I'd over-play with the trem to get the proverbial juices flowin' for a few minutes, but you should be ok to whammy all day long.

Thank you all for your replies. I have returned both trems to their float position according to the PRS tremolo page. Both guitars are strung with 9’s, so I didn’t go to thicker strings. It seems to be just the lower 3 strings (E, A, D) that are not returning to pitch. They are staying sharp.

I moved away from floating trems and never looked back. If you have the ability to get your hands on a custom/standard 24 with a stoptail, it's the only way to go in my opinion.

My issue was less with returning to pitch after bends or using the trem, but way more to do with playing in drop D or drop c# (or any other odd tuning) that requires you to retune the entire guitar afterwards. It's a pain. Not PRSs issue at all, it just comes with the territory of floating trems. Love PRS, but man do I wish they would just make it an option to get a stoptail on a Custom 24 nowadays without having to go private stock.

I'm very interested in this myself, because I am having the same issue on one of my guitars. My 24-08 (out of nowhere) seems to be returning slightly sharp on the wound strings after moderate trem use.

It's never been an issue in the past and just started. The trem is floating as it should be, I've checked the relief and it is correct, and I've tried new strings. It's kind of weird that it sprouted up out of nowhere, so I'm super curious for any tips.

Other than this isolated issue, I have never had a problem with the PRS trem system. It's always returned to pitch perfectly after moderate to heavy trem use - provided of course strings had been thoroughly stretched, ect.

I'm very interested in this myself, because I am having the same issue on one of my guitars. My 24-08 (out of nowhere) seems to be returning slightly sharp on the wound strings after moderate trem use.

It's never been an issue in the past and just started. The trem is floating as it should be, I've checked the relief and it is correct, and I've tried new strings. It's kind of weird that it sprouted up out of nowhere, so I'm super curious for any tips.

Other than this isolated issue, I have never had a problem with the PRS trem system. It's always returned to pitch perfectly after moderate to heavy trem use - provided of course strings had been thoroughly stretched, ect.

Have you tried some sort of lube on the nut? It almost sounds like it’s lost a bit of it’s self-lubrication.

Thank you all for your replies. I have returned both trems to their float position according to the PRS tremolo page. Both guitars are strung with 9’s, so I didn’t go to thicker strings. It seems to be just the lower 3 strings (E, A, D) that are not returning to pitch. They are staying sharp.

Sounds like it could be binding at the nut.

Try this: Use the vibrato, confirm the strings are sharp, then pull the string up out of the nut and put it back. If it's at the correct pitch afterward, there's a problem with the nut.

I use my prs trems pretty aggressively.

I do lube the nut slots and put a little dab of lube on fulcrum screws.

When I restring I make sure hole in tuner is in line with the string. Pull it tight and tighten there. Least amount of string on the tuner the better.

Once up to pitch I go crazy with trem. Extreme both ways up and down. Give those strings plenty of opportunity to decide were the want to be.

Mine never work as well as a floyd but quick string changes and the feel of the prs trem is worth it to me. It does work pretty well.

I have an 89 cu24 that does not stay in tune with trem use but I really don't want to fool with it.

There are some guys on here that really know how to set em up to rock though.

Most of my trems stay in tune beautifully once they’re broken in. I’ve had a couple of Floyd’s, and absolutely prefer the PRS. I Just hope you didn’t adjust the trem screws with the springs still connected.

Have you tried some sort of lube on the nut? It almost sounds like it’s lost a bit of it’s self-lubrication.

This was gonna be my next move. I didn't have anything to lube it, so I have some coming. Looking at it, I couldn't see any binding in the nut, and the strings lifted and sat in the slots easily enough, but that doesn't necessarily omit the likelihood of excessive friction.

We'll give it a go (hopefully) tonight and see what happens....

I will say, our winter here has been all over the place and the humidity is very, very low, so I'm almost certain that has something to do with it. I do have a humidifier going in my guitar area, but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep the super-dry conditions at bay. I also keep my guitars cased and keep the humidipacks in the cases with them, so there's that.

Anyone know if excessively dry conditions can effect the string binding at the nut?

Most of my trems stay in tune beautifully once they’re broken in. I’ve had a couple of Floyd’s, and absolutely prefer the PRS. I Just hope you didn’t adjust the trem screws with the springs still connected.
Which trem screws are you referring to? The six that the bridge rocks on or the two below on the spring claw?

Back