Custom color only with private stock orders?

Michael Scott

I’ve seen a few dealers selling PRS guitars in custom colors. And what I mean by custom, is a color that is not offered on that specific guitar model. These were just regular core models at the same price point.

I reached out to one dealer asking about ordering a Paul’s Guitar in gold top. They said they were going to talk to their PRS rep and get back to me.
Few days later I heard back and they said it’s not an option.

So then, is private stock the only way for me to get a Paul’s Guitar in a gold top?

Let me know what your thoughts are.
Thanks!

They’re so back logged due to supply chain issues and Covid that they’ve cut back on some of their services/ordering options. PS is a big leap just to get a gold top. Not worth the cost, imo. PS is all about bling and unique wood combos. Sometimes a sprayers option color will pop up. Meaning a color outside of what’s normally offered. Another option, and cheaper than going PS, would be to grab a Paul’s that you like, and have it refinished as a gold top. I would just make sure you get the back color that you want to be on the back of gold. That way you would only have to pay for a partial refinish.

I think a lot of dealers get custom colors based on what PRS offers up for grabs and they order it in, ie research and development runs that offer unique finishes. On occasion some dealers make special runs, usually of SE or S2, but I imagine it’s possible in all the lines.

PRS is known to unofficially release colors after the initial announcement of colors too. They trickle out if they think the new color seems to be popular. Take for instance the CE line: currently 8 finishes are listed. But you’ll find plenty of other finishes currently made in production. But if you want all gold? Yeah not gonna happen unless a dealer requested to do a run, which I think takes 5-25 guitars requested and takes 1-2 years turnaround time

They’re so back logged due to supply chain issues and Covid that they’ve cut back on some of their services/ordering options. PS is a big leap just to get a gold top. Not worth the cost, imo. PS is all about bling and unique wood combos. Sometimes a sprayers option color will pop up. Meaning a color outside of what’s normally offered. Another option, and cheaper than going PS, would be to grab a Paul’s that you like, and have it refinished as a gold top. I would just make sure you get the back color that you want to be on the back of gold. That way you would only have to pay for a partial refinish.

Thanks for the info

I think a lot of dealers get custom colors based on what PRS offers up for grabs and they order it in, ie research and development runs that offer unique finishes. On occasion some dealers make special runs, usually of SE or S2, but I imagine it’s possible in all the lines.

Didn’t know that. Thanks for the info

Someone say gold top? Not a Paul's guitar but man do I dig the gold top and the stripper 58 of course!

Screenshot_20211031-202722_Gallery5e82aab3f9f367aa.jpg

the DGT that I bought from John Mann‘s Guitar Vault is a WL Edition in Copperhead…. Not a stock color, but that was last year. Lead times are getting worse. To bad you don’t want a DGT. You can always find used ones with a Goldtop

It really is insane to me the turnaround times. Heck look at new editions announced earlier this year that still aren't available. I have yet to see the S2 24-08 in the wild in the US.

It really is insane to me the turnaround times. Heck look at new editions announced earlier this year that still aren't available. I have yet to see the S2 24-08 in the wild in the US.

I've seen several S2 24-08, in smaller markets too. I saw one this weekend whike traveling.. I just received a new finish announced earlier this year for another model as well. Turn times are improving.

Back