Custom Built For USA Only ...why?

For me the question is, what happens to the Brazz guitars that don't say 'For USA only' on them? I have a Cu22BRZ with nothing on the back. Was made in 2004. Too early for the disclaimer I guess, but I'm not planning on ever taking it out of the country for that reason.

I believe instruments before a certain date are exempt from CITES. In addition, they've amended the act to loosen the restrictions on musical instruments somewhat.

That said, the wrong agent on the wrong day...

I believe instruments before a certain date are exempt from CITES. In addition, they've amended the act to loosen the restrictions on musical instruments somewhat.

I believe that is correct. My 2004 Brazilian edition doesn't have anything written on it. I think it was from like 2007 to 2013 that they had the rough go.

I think the restrictions were lifted for all dalbergias EXCEPT Brazilian RW. I think transporting BRW is still an issue.

I think the restrictions were lifted for all dalbergias EXCEPT Brazilian RW. I think transporting BRW is still an issue.

Could very well be - it's been a while since I read about it. I hesitated for that reason, then remembered my post about keeping the average down and realized I was obligated.

I just glad all of my Brazilian guitars were made before they had to be burdened with a “USA only” label. I will continue to hand carry them across certain borders, but won’t ship them.

The guitar that I bought (pictured) was made in 2007 and has the writing. Super nice penmanship.

If it rolled out of the factory in 2007, it shouldn't have the "USA ONLY" mark. There was a bunch of 2007 guitars that were stopped in various stages of production and not completed until 2012-ish (if I remember correctly).

If it rolled out of the factory in 2007, it shouldn't have the "USA ONLY" mark. There was a bunch of 2007 guitars that were stopped in various stages of production and not completed until 2012-ish (if I remember correctly).
That sounds correct, to me.

I'm not sure about transporting, as in carrying in person. I think that's ok. Regardless, I'm just glad the Brazzy alarm didn't go off on the guitar Hans sent my way last month!

For me the question is, what happens to the Brazz guitars that don't say 'For USA only' on them? I have a Cu22BRZ with nothing on the back. Was made in 2004. Too early for the disclaimer I guess, but I'm not planning on ever taking it out of the country for that reason.
Brazilian rosewood was listed on CITES Appendix I since 1992. Appendix I is for the most endangered species and has the strictest restrictions. Ever since 1992 then the restrictions were in place for BRW.

All other rosewoods were listed into Appendix II sometime 2017 or so, which has less strict restrictions. For a couple of years shipping rosewood overseas required a CITES export permit but not an import permit for the receiving party. Recently though, I understand they relaxed the rules to exempt finished musical instruments.

But Braz remains on Appendix I. No change there.

The answer to your question is if it’s built after 1992, it requires a trail of export and import CITES permits showing how the guitar legally got into your country, before you will be granted an export permit to take it out of the country.

I'm still not clear how appendix I applies to moving guitars across borders by hand for private use.
I have 2 prs SC's with brw fretboards, and the USA only mark, here is Australia. One was purchased second hand locally, the other I had somebody bring home while holidaying in the US.

I'm not sure I'll roll the dice a second time, as I could never get a 100% clear answer if it is allowed.

Back