Custom Built For USA Only ...why?

Tahlee

Tollywood Rhode Island
I was wondering why some guitars have that written on the back of the headstock?

B1-D6-E3-AF-934-D-4-A7-F-A4-DA-383-AC93-A3828.jpg

Is it because PRS used certain woods that are allowed in the USA but not elsewhere? Could that be the Brazilian rosewood?

Thanks!

I believe all PRS brazilian RW is legally sourced. The only difference being any braz guitar not intended to be sold and shipped to overseas dealers, ie meant to be sold only to domestic dealers, would never have an CITES export permit applied for it by PRS.

The CITES export permit is the only means to ship braz overseas legally. In addition the receiving party has to apply for a CITES import permit for the guitar to legally enter their country. What a frightful mess.

But that also means it’s very likely no one henceforth can ever apply a CITES export permit for these domestic market guitars, ever, because you can no longer trace the guitar back to the original timber batch. The authorities would ask for the original timber data, and it’s not realistic to expect PRS would provide it.

Conclusion is that such guitars are stuck in the original country of manufacture permanently and it’s the same for any brand and any country. Unless you’re talking about some small boutique maker that can provide you the original timber data any given time.

Oops I’m regretting turning this thread serious. It’s.....boring I know! :p

Last edited:
All I know is that before I bought my PRS from a UK shop, I was looking at a wood library TED from Willcuts with 'For USA only' on the back. I asked if I would be able to buy it and have it shipped to the UK and they said yes. Whether the situation has changed over the last 5 years I don't know.

I believe all PRS brazilian RW is legally sourced. The only difference being any braz guitar not intended to be sold and shipped to overseas dealers, ie meant to be sold only to domestic dealers, would never have an CITES export permit applied for it by PRS.

The CITES export permit is the only means to ship braz overseas legally. In addition the receiving party has to apply for a CITES import permit for the guitar to legally enter their country. What a frightful mess.

But that also means it’s very likely no one henceforth can ever apply a CITES export permit for these domestic market guitars, ever, because you can no longer trace the guitar back to the original timber batch. The authorities would ask for the original timber data, and it’s not realistic to expect PRS would provide it.

Conclusion is that such guitars are stuck in the original country of manufacture permanently and it’s the same for any brand and any country. Unless you’re talking about some small boutique maker that can provide you the original timber data any given time.

Not boring in the least bit. Thank you. I enjoyed your post.

Hmmmm, it just now occurred to me that perhaps not everyone is following the rules about imported wood. I went to luthier classes, four hours every week for four years. I built acoustic guitars from scratch. That guy could get you any crazy wood that you wanted. Anything.

And how would anyone be able to truly verify origin and thus legality information for a piece of wood long after it's been harvested and it's been processed into an instrument or any other finished good? I'd say nearly impossible. So for that reason, I'd say it's simply a way to get tax revenue at the finished goods level.

Back