Custom 50 Question: Changing from 6L6 to EL34

gman1951

Question for those who've done this swap; can you tell me what's involved? I know I will have to rebias, but is anything else needed?

Thanks in advance,

gman1951

Not yet, but getting ready to. There are several who have. Sure they'll be around soon to advise.

That should be all that's necessary. My amp came with EL34s so I didn't have to go thru this.

I've got some grippyfinger mechanics rubber gloves that I use to grab the tubes. I've never heard anyone say that it is required but it is a habit from my days changing automotive halogen bulbs (finger prints on the bulbs will cause them to fail prematurely) and seemed like a good idea. The tubes in the amp get hot and I don't think I want my fingerprints on the tubes when they do.

You also need a very short and very skinny flat tip screwdriver if you have an ARCHON. For good habit practice, I keep one hand behind my back whenever I reach into the amp to twist the screwdriver.

Remember to be gentle when you depress the metal retainers on both sides of the tubes and wiggle the tubes out of the sockets. Don't break the round center cover in the middle of all those pins by wiggling the tubes too hard.

Watch a few reputable videos on youtube. Use a good multimeter.

Back