Custom 50 2-Channel Questions

mapleleaf14

I just bought a new Custom 50 2-channel C.A.D. Head and inside the bag that had the footswitch cable, power cord, warranty card, and safety instructions, I didn't see any kind of actual "owners manual"...should there be one?

Is there an online resource? I checked the support/Amplifier Manuals section of the PRS website, but there's not one listed specifically for the Custom 50.

Also, when I want to play quietly at home with it, is there any negatives to doing the "jumper" technique with a patch cable in the effects loop and adjusting the effects loop levels to lower the volume?!?

I probably won't need to do that much, but I was just wondering.

So, anybody else out there have one of these amps?

Bought one of the first ones. Love it! I'm more of a Marshall type of guy, so I switched the tubes out to EL34s. It does kill a *bit* of the shimmer of the clean channel, but it certainly warms up the crunch side. Before the switch, I wasn't really digging the distortion sound, it was either too bright or it didn't feel like it had enough drive. The 34's seem to help the crunch out a bit. Was listening to a video of a gig I did where the tubes were changed. 57/08s into it was really great sound. Too bad my playing was a bit off, or I'd post the video :)

I did have one problem, there was a weird ground issue with the reverb knob. PRS fixed it under warranty, shipped it both ways. I'm VERY happy!

I also feel like I'd want to change it to EL34. Which means ordering it that way cause I'm no tinkerer.

My last few heads have been EL34 so I'm enjoying the change.

So nobody has any experience or thoughts about the jumper technique with the effects loop?

My last few heads have been EL34 so I'm enjoying the change.

So nobody has any experience or thoughts about the jumper technique with the effects loop?
I know a lot of guys will use volume pedal in the loop. What you're talking about accomplishes the same thing, right? I seem to remember Paul himself talking about doing what what you're saying, but I'm not 100%. Not sure why it would hurt anything.

Yeah, my dealer said its basically an option for playing lower volume at home - lower the volume via the loop instead of the volume/master.

Like I said, not sure how often I'd need that option, but good to know in case.

Not sure about the CAD, but I recall with the 2-channel C that the "sweet spot" on the effects loop volume controls was about 2:00. Other than that...I'm not an amp expert, so I've got nothing other than that.

Not sure about the CAD, but I recall with the 2-channel C that the "sweet spot" on the effects loop volume controls was about 2:00. Other than that...I'm not an amp expert, so I've got nothing other than that.

The 2-Channel "C" has a post-phase inverter master volume; therefore, the loop is before the master volume (the early 2-Channel "H" amps also had post-phase inverter master volumes). I could be wrong, but I believe that the loop is after the master volume on the 2-channel Custom.

For some reason, I thought the effect loop volume on the new amps worked whether there was a cable in it or not? Wasn't there a video demonstrating that effect by PRS himself?

As to the owners manual questions, the HX/DA didn't come with a manual either. Might just be how the CAD amps roll.

So to learn how to use it, I just watched Paul Smith walking us through the demo on the website video.

I figured that when the time comes to change/rebias tubes I'll give PRS a call to find out the recommended settings.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't really need a manual, but thought if I should have one with it, I'd as PRS for it.

Seems like you need a "jumper" cable in the loop for the volumes to work. No biggie, I'm getting some SWEET sounds from the amp...it's really an impressive piece of equipment.

As to the owners manual questions, the HX/DA didn't come with a manual either. Might just be how the CAD amps roll.

So to learn how to use it, I just watched Paul Smith walking us through the demo on the website video.

I figured that when the time comes to change/rebias tubes I'll give PRS a call to find out the recommended settings.

I agree those videos are a great way to hear and see how to set up those amps.

Yeah, don't really need a manual, but thought if I should have one with it, I'd as PRS for it.

Seems like you need a "jumper" cable in the loop for the volumes to work. No biggie, I'm getting some SWEET sounds from the amp...it's really an impressive piece of equipment.

I think they H's and Customs are insane values.

I think they H's and Customs are insane values.

Absolutely! Some of my recent amps include a Boogie Mark V, a Boogie Royal Atlantic, an Orange Rockerverb 50, and an Egnater Tour Master and I like the Custom 50 better than any of them. Before the PRS, I think the Royal Atlantic was my favorite...fantastic clean channel and reverb.

I hope they are doing well for PRS. Everybody that owns one seems to really like them, but you don't come across very many people that have them! I tried an SE30 combo and an SE20 head into my Boogie 212 and didn't really care for either of them and I hope people don't hear the SE line of amps and assume the USA amps are similar. The SE Line is far more readily available (at least around me) and I know more people are hearing those over the USA amps. The SE's aren't bad, but they're nowhere near what the USA's are! My dealer got the one in that I bought and I demoed it on his recommendation and I'm glad I did, because I absolutely love my Custom 50 2-Channel!

Absolutely! Some of my recent amps include a Boogie Mark V, a Boogie Royal Atlantic, an Orange Rockerverb 50, and an Egnater Tour Master and I like the Custom 50 better than any of them. Before the PRS, I think the Royal Atlantic was my favorite...fantastic clean channel and reverb.

I hope they are doing well for PRS. Everybody that owns one seems to really like them, but you don't come across very many people that have them! I tried an SE30 combo and an SE20 head into my Boogie 212 and didn't really care for either of them and I hope people don't hear the SE line of amps and assume the USA amps are similar. The SE Line is far more readily available (at least around me) and I know more people are hearing those over the USA amps. The SE's aren't bad, but they're nowhere near what the USA's are! My dealer got the one in that I bought and I demoed it on his recommendation and I'm glad I did, because I absolutely love my Custom 50 2-Channel!

I JUST took delivery of my 2x12 Stealth Cab (Paisley)! I'm excited because my 2 Channel Custom 50 (Paisley) has been sitting in my living room for a month, patiently awaiting the arrival of my PRS Cab :) Just have to finish out my work day and I will be hooking up the rig tonight. Last year I bought & sold a 2 Channel H. It was great but didn't have as much gain as I desired. Hoping the Custom 50 fits the bill!

When I took ownership of my prototype, I emailed Matt at Customer Service for "care and feeding" instructions... He was very helpful with tube and bias setting info.

Back