Custom 24 w/ unfinished neck?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by titansfan4196, Apr 13, 2017.

1. titansfan4196

titansfan4196 New Member

I was at guitar center and saw a PRS Custom 24, but it had an unfinished neck. At first I thought it was a ce model but it wasn't a bolt-on neck. It was one piece and was labeled a custom. I can't seem to find this model anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know what it is? or where I can find one?

I've been wanting to get a ce model because I'm getting tired if the glossy feel on the neck of my S2.

2. Elliot

Elliot Gandalf the Vintage Yellow

My guess is it's a maple neck with a "natural" back and neck; possibly satin finish if it felt like satin and not gloss. I've seen maple necks on mahogany bodies with no finish. I kind of like that look.

It could have been an artist CU 24. Also, I think you can find maple necks outside of artist builds when they are ordered like that by dealers, but I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: "I've seen maple necks on mahogany bodies with no STAIN***"

#2 Elliot, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. dsenoj

dsenoj Old dude in a PRS T-shirt

I have a 2012 Experience P22 with an unfinished maple neck. They had another 2012 Experience model with an unfinished maple neck. I don't remember for sure but it may have been a Custom 24.

4. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

PRS isn't going to let a maple neck out of the factory without finish. They do however use a very thin "in the wood" finish on them now.

Maple neck is an Artist Package option, so that's likely what it was. The Floyd also has a maple neck. They do occasionally put maple necks on non AP guitars, with matching stain and gloss finish even.

5. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Oh yeah, and dealers can also spec maple neck when doing a Wood Library run.

6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

This! I have a Cu24 WL with a maple neck. It has the "in the wood" satin finish. I'd swear there's no finish on it. Sure feels really close to bare wood.

And, as stated above, a hog or maple neck isn't leaving with no finish on it. Heck, the PTC won't let bare wood out on a refinish. I tried with my Cu22 last year. Wouldn't do it. I went with a satin finish instead. Love it!

7. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

Same here - CU24 Wood Library with satin "unfinished" neck. Slicker than a frog's butt - love it!

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

At the 30th Anniversary event at the factory, we were shown the equipment they use to cure the finish on these satin maple necks, and if memory serves it was a UV thing.

Having had the McCarty WL with one, I can see how someone might think it isn't finished, but in fact they are finished.