Custom 24 Vs. Standard 2S Sound

YetAnotherRushFan

I have two S2 Cu 24s and a S2 Standard 22, all with 85/15 pups. I was expecting the Standard without the maple top to sound more warm, and mellow, but to me it just sounds "thinner." It sounds less interesting, even boring. I don't know about "more mids" (as people say the all-Mahogany guitar will have) - it just sounds worse to me.

The only other difference is the Customs have 10s and the Standard 9s. I don't think one string size could make this kind of difference.

I am comparing all guitars on BRIDGE PICKUP only.

Before I put 10s on the Standard, am I nuts, or is this normal?

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

The bridge and bridge pup are in different locations on the bodies of the 22 vs the 24, this could account for some of the difference, as well as the string gauge difference, and the wood differences.

I didn't expect them to sound the same, but what surprises me is that they don't sound different in the way I expected. I expected the all mahogany guitar to have more mids and be warmer. It's not.

I'm probably going to have to throw a set of 10s on and see what happens.

To keep the same scale length as well as add another 2 frets, the Bridge is moved closer to the neck. The sound of the Pick-ups are relative to their position from the bridge - the closer, the more brighter the sound.

If I'm not mistaken though, the S2 Standards have the plastic pick guard with the PU's, pots and switches all mounted to the Pick guard - similar to a strat in that regard and compared to the S2 Customs which, use Pick up rings with the Pots/switch mounted to the body. I don't know whether or not that makes a difference but that could explain why its not having the same impact as say a Les Paul Studio vs the Maple capped Les Pauls.

From what evidence I have managed to find on the subject of tone woods, the most important part of the body seems to be the part around the PU's and bridge with the wings and back having 'less' impact on the sound. There is a video trying to 'disprove' Tone Woods by slotting on different woods for the body but the bridge, PU's and Neck/head are exactly the same in each 'test'. The body made little difference to the tone. I have also seen another video that was looking a the 'body' for sustain purposes and cutting chunks off but the tone didn't really change so it seems that the most important part would be the part from the bridge to the neck that also has the PU's mounted.

Another aspect of course is the thickness of the Maple Cap. On a Core PRS, the Maple is very thick in the area the bridge and PU's are but thins out towards the edge due to the style of the carve. On an S2, the maple is a lot thinner. I believe it starts off around half the thickness of a Core. That could also mean the impact of the maple on the S2 Custom builds are not that different from the all mahogany S2 with the plastic Pick guard having some influence on the sound.

Generally, I do think that all mahogany versions are darker with the additional Maple top making the sound brighter. A Custom S2 doesn't have a very thick maple cap and still has a mahogany back and the Standard has the Plastic pick guard but the bulk of the guitar, especially the area below the strings is very much the same. Both have the same neck and a lot of mahogany in the body. Maybe the Maple isn't thick enough to have a big impact tonally with the plastic Pick guard having a similar impact on tone. The difference may well be minimal and the maple more of a cosmetic difference.

The other option of course is that the Standard 22 you bought just so happened to have the characteristics you describe - after all the majority of it is a Natural material that can vary in density and weight. Another Standard may well be a bit darker than yours. You do have to remember though that the bulk of the guitars are made of the same materials...

My general experience with the S2 Standards vs Customs is as you expected - the standards being a little fatter sounding. That being said, my S2 Satin Standard 22 was a little bright when I got it. I think a nice dose of time has mellowed it out, sometimes the wood on a new guitar can be a little brash in my experience.

Also, I do think moving to 10’s will help, and make sure you’re using the same type of strings as your Custom - you wouldn’t want to be using nickel plated steel on the Standard and pure nickel on the Custom, the NPS are brighter.

Man that is some great information above!

I was not aware of the bridge PU-neck spacing difference. Never thought of that. When I read about 24 vs 22 fret differences, it seems most people concentrate on the *neck* PU (better fundamentals on the 22) and the difference in PU spacing.

I also was not aware that the Standards are *routed* like a Strat. That makes sense, tho - why have the guard otherwise.

Thanks!

I have two S2 Cu 24s and a S2 Standard 22, all with 85/15 pups. I was expecting the Standard without the maple top to sound more warm, and mellow, but to me it just sounds "thinner." It sounds less interesting, even boring. I don't know about "more mids" (as people say the all-Mahogany guitar will have) - it just sounds worse to me.

The only other difference is the Customs have 10s and the Standard 9s. I don't think one string size could make this kind of difference.

I am comparing all guitars on BRIDGE PICKUP only.

Before I put 10s on the Standard, am I nuts, or is this normal?

Ever think to invest in a small and simple EQ pedal? This would provide all the tone-shaping you'd need, without ordering pickups and modifying an otherwise good guitar that would lower the resale value.

Also, what @bodia said about pickup height. Invest in a small machinist's ruler (6" will work) that delineates down to 1/64" and 1/32" as well as millimeters.

The PRS Support page has info there regards set-ups and adjustments.

It’ll be interesting to get your take on the guitar once you get .010s on it, and experiment a little with pickup height.

I’ve found that string brands and gauges can make a significant difference.

If you’re looking for a warmer, more “mid-centric” tone, consider a set of pure nickel wrap .010s. My favorite are the Sono-Tone Hex Core pure nickels, but the D’Addario pure nickels are also very nice, and a little darker.

Nickel plated steel strings weren’t introduced until 1969 or 70, so pure nickel will give you a more vintage tone as well.

Back