Custom 24 vs Custom 24 (SE vs S2)

Perception is an interesting thing.

{snip...}

Maybe you're just a glass half empty kind of guy, where Paul is definitely a glass half full kind of guy.
Actually, what I am is I'm the guy who - when he's told there's a half-full glass - says, "show me". That's all I'm doing here... There's an assertion that the specs for S2 HFS/VB pups are different than for SE HFS/VB pups, and all I'm saying is "prove that", because until someone does prove it, I don't see any evidence that it is true at all.

Sounds to me like you are the perfect customer for the new CE 24....

I want to like it but it's missing the mark for me. It's sitting right at the price point where I look at it, then I look at it's hardware, and I think to myself that if I'm going to spend that much I might as well save a little more and get a Core, or spend a little less and get an S2.

However, I do reserve the right to change my opinion once I get my hands on one and compare it to the other models.

Actually, what I am is I'm the guy who - when he's told there's a half-full glass - says, "show me". That's all I'm doing here... There's an assertion that the specs for S2 HFS/VB pups are different than for SE HFS/VB pups, and all I'm saying is "prove that", because until someone does prove it, I don't see any evidence that it is true at all.
Well to start with, it's been discussed a while ago when the S2s first came out. But in the Customer Support area of the PRS site (https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq_s2.html) it does specifically refer to the pickups as S2 HFS/VB as well as the S2 Mira and S2 Starla, while it does say that it has an SE bridge. So I'm basing it off the fact that they are distinctly calling them S2 pickups instead of SE pickups.

I'm not too obsessed over the details of the pickups. I have a SE Cu22 Semi-Hollow and despite all the differences there's still a certain tonal consistency between it and my McCarty. When I got the SE Cu22 I assumed I'd be swapping the pickups, but after playing for awhile I've found that I like them. And, while they're probably not something I would've chosen myself they work and provide me with variety.

Which brings me to the CE24 and Core24. From what I've read on here the 85/15s are basically uncovered 58/15s... and I already have a set of those in my McCarty (which I love). Part of the appeal of the SE/S2 Cu24 is that it still has VB/HFS, which will give me more variety. I know I could achieve the same results with a pickup swap, but spending the extra money on a CE24/Core24, only to turn around and swap pickups seems like a bit of a waste.

However, I am open to opinions on the matter...?

Personally in your situation I'd probably look at used cores (Custom 24, CE) Maybe P24/P22/etc. if you want the extra variety provided by the piezo?

If you're just as happy with the SEs though (and I do still like my SE Custom 24), that would get you an extra guitar or two for the same price, and maybe having a 7 string would be more useful to you? :)

In my opinion buy the S2. I am a big believer in buying the best you can afford. Buying two lower quality guitars instead of one high quality guitar is false economy IMHO.

Personally in your situation I'd probably look at used cores (Custom 24, CE) Maybe P24/P22/etc. if you want the extra variety provided by the piezo?

If you're just as happy with the SEs though (and I do still like my SE Custom 24), that would get you an extra guitar or two for the same price, and maybe having a 7 string would be more useful to you? :)

Used PRS is really hit and miss in my area. Very small selection, usually the worst colours.

In my opinion buy the S2. I am a big believer in buying the best you can afford. Buying two lower quality guitars instead of one high quality guitar is false economy IMHO.

I have an end state in mind. In the past I kept of focusing on "the best" and ended up with a bunch of guitars with similar pickups/setups that basically sounded the same, so I'd generally use the one that sounded the best and the rest sat around unused.

This time around I have a plan. I want to end up with two main guitars with the same basic feel, but one being a lower output that lets me dial things back a bit more and one higher output that lets me drive the amp harder (aka, McCarty and Custom 24). Those I want to compliment with a few cheaper guitars that are setup and left in alternate tunings... drop D, open G or D, C#. To that I may add a 7 string and a baritone, neither of which I technically have a need for and are largely a curiosity at this point, but if they inspire me to play or produce something different then I'm for it, and if they don't I'm not out that much money when I sell/trade them.

I believe the S2 will hold it's value better than an upgraded SE.

In my experience (I upgraded an Epiphone Explorer will JB/Jazz and CTS pots), you get nothing for the upgrades. There's a guy selling a Tremonti SE Custom, with Bare Knuckles, locking machine heads, and Tremol-No on Ebay, and it's not shifting as he's asking a high price.

FWIW - I got an S2 Standard 24 Satin, which I believe were released a few months after this thread.

Once I factored in the cost of upgrades to an SE I'm into the price range of an S2 Standard Satin, which (IMO) comes with a much better neck than an SE and most of the mods I'd want on an SE already factory installed.

I don't know if my experience can bring much to the table here, but I have 2 SE CU24's, both 30th anniversary models, but one I had 59/09's put in and the other I kept the HFS/VB's, but potted and covered with smoled black because it came with an ebony board and maple neck. They'll both do the job, and I think amp settings will have quite a lot to say about the sound. FWIW.

We seem to be degenerating into a pickup discussion. Part of my guitar disease is buying and reselling, but PRS only. I`ve stumbled across amazing guitars of every type. (Some good,but never a bad one). The important thing is the whole package, to your ears only. My old beater SE Tremonti can`t be sold because it sounds too good. My SE 30th Anni CU24 is the same. My old ce24 just screams when I crank it. At each level, I`ve stumbled across guitars that just seemed to have that mojo. The trick is to get lucky and find one. Play as many as you can, and do look hard at the CE24 (both new and used) if you want to rock hard. There is no guarantee that any model series will give you exactly what you want, but you should know when you find it, if you listen rather than just look. The biggest problem is that they`re all drop dead spectacular in my eyes.

After having the Vela, what's you your opinion the Vela vs S2 vs SE? I'm considering a Fender or G&L Strat. Preferably American made.

I'm trying to decide between a Vela or an S2 or upscale SE. The lack of trem is making me hesitate. I already have a Godin LGX 2HB with coil split and Piezo. But it has comfortable but flat 16" radius neck that makes my R&B John Mayer SRV thumb over the top a little difficult.

Trying to like my 1990 American Peavey Falcon Custom strat with 12" radious neck. While it's great and beautiful, it's just not giving me the sound that's in my head. It could be improved, but that means money.

The Vela is just cool, but want Birds and tremelo.

After having the Vela, what's you your opinion the Vela vs S2 vs SE? I'm considering a Fender or G&L Strat. Preferably American made.

I'm trying to decide between a Vela or an S2 or upscale SE. The lack of trem is making me hesitate. I already have a Godin LGX 2HB with coil split and Piezo. But it has comfortable but flat 16" radius neck that makes my R&B John Mayer SRV thumb over the top a little difficult.

Trying to like my 1990 American Peavey Falcon Custom strat with 12" radious neck. While it's great and beautiful, it's just not giving me the sound that's in my head. It could be improved, but that means money.

The Vela is just cool, but want Birds and tremelo.
The Vela is an S2 model. If it’s a trem you really want, I’d press for an old CE. The SE and S2 models do well but the best stability is from the core line and I’m not big on replacing a trem right out of the gate (John Mann makes a great replacement, though). The neck carve is fantastic, comfortable, and easily adaptable regardless of your hand size. But if you want the Vela for what it is - which is amazing - then embrace the plate bridge...its innovations are stinking brilliant!
vela-sun.jpg

The Vela is an S2 model. If it’s a trem you really want, I’d press for an old CE. The SE and S2 models do well but the best stability is from the core line and I’m not big on replacing a trem right out of the gate (John Mann makes a great replacement, though). The neck carve is fantastic, comfortable, and easily adaptable regardless of your hand size. But if you want the Vela for what it is - which is amazing - then embrace the plate bridge...its innovations are stinking brilliant!
vela-sun.jpg
Beautiful! And you have birds. Not the current dot inlays. Is this a reclaimed wood version?

There's one available on Reverb but with paint chip / bare wood on the high point of the head stock.

Update: PRS just replied that "the dot inlays were the overwhelmingly popular choice, so the birds were discontinued for these models." The Vernon Reid Vela with Floyd was the only trem model that is now discontinued.

Last edited:
Yep, that’s a Reclaimed Vela! I’d have been just fine if it came with moons. Dots aren’t horrible, but they ain’t moons. This guitar would still smolder with no inlays, frankly. And if the pickups aren’t what you’re after, vintage PAFs in the bridge freakin’ rock...just leave that Type D in the neck because it’s the sh@t!

Yep, that’s a Reclaimed Vela! I’d have been just fine if it came with moons. Dots aren’t horrible, but they ain’t moons. This guitar would still smolder with no inlays, frankly. And if the pickups aren’t what you’re after, vintage PAFs in the bridge freakin’ rock...just leave that Type D in the neck because it’s the sh@t!
Played a Vela yesterday. Pickups would take some time to get used to. Loved the neck and light weight. Played a Music Man Cutlass SSS and could not put it down. So, I brought it home.

Back