Custom 24 vs Custom 24-08

Guys,

Have any of you played both Custom 24 models (regular core Custom 24 with 85/15 pups and the 2016 Experience 24-08....

Any advice? Thoughts?

I own a CU24-08 Experience 2016. When I bought it I compared it to half a dozen normal CU24s at the store. I found the CU24-08 to be more versatile than the normal Cu24 and the single coil sounds superior. Specifically, the CU24 single coil positions experience a significant volume drop compared to the full humbucker positions. They are almost seemed unusable since the volume drop is so severe in comparison to the CU24-08 single coil sounds. With the 408 switching and extra winds on the slug coils, the 24-08 has an even volume level across the single coil and humbucker positions. Playing the two models back to back made it a no brainier for me. Of course, the gaboon ebony board and abalone birds helped as well!

Thanks, I hadnt thought of it that way. I think in my situation, I want something completely different from what I already have and I love the bright almost acoustic quality that most Custom 24s have. None of my guitars have that at the moment (except my S2 but being that it was my first real guitar it still sports necknotes stickers all over its fretboard... so I dont really count it in my guitar harem but I digress). The volume loss when switching to single coil would be a major reason for me to choose the 24-08... If I didnt already have a 408 to address that concern. Honestly, I am still chasing that 'PRS' version of a strat tone so the magazine review that stated that the Custom 24's single coil tone was more stratty than the 24-08 pretty much had me at hello.

Sorry, I did not catch you had a 408. Yeah, I totally get what you saying. The 24-08 siingle coils are not really Strat-like compared to the splits on the normal 24. Unusable may have been the wrong word to use in my original post. Just for my application I just found them better. I already have a real twangy Telecaster so I did not need that sound.

Have you considered a P90 guitar? I have a CU22 with P90s and it is a great sounding instrument. Totally different than my CU24-08. As someone once said, it sounds like pissed off single coils. Mine has three P90s and it gets some real good in between, single coil sounds. I play it far more than my Tele.

Sorry, I did not catch you had a 408. Yeah, I totally get what you saying. The 24-08 siingle coils are not really Strat-like compared to the splits on the normal 24. Unusable may have been the wrong word to use in my original post. Just for my application I just found them better. I already have a real twangy Telecaster so I did not need that sound.

Have you considered a P90 guitar? I have a CU22 with P90s and it is a great sounding instrument. Totally different than my CU24-08. As someone once said, it sounds like pissed off single coils. Mine has three P90s and it gets some real good in between, single coil sounds. I play it far more than my Tele.

No problem... Thanks for posting your comments. Its great to get other opinions especially when some of us cant seem to get our hands on the guitars.

:)

P90? Hmmm. I actually dont have any P90 guitars. I will see if there are any youtube videos on Customs with P90s. Pissed off single coil sounds like something right up my alley. Thanks!

For the three pickup Custom P90 guitars, the five-way switching is: bridge, bridge/middle, bridge/neck, neck/middle and neck/bridge. It gets some nice twang in the in-between positions.

would there be any chance of a gut shot of the pots & wiring of the 24.08 next time the covers off?

I would love to have a P90 cu22. I got a 305 from rider1260 that I'm really thinking about putting a bridge P90 in. I like the 305 but the single coil bridge requires a lot of amp adjustments when switching to it live from all my other HB guitars.

For the record, I have a ce24 set up with push pulls on both Vol and Tone pots. I like this setup and have been thinking about doing it to my Mccarty that' loaded with 8515s

Not quite the same as 2408 but still cool.

Back