Custom 24 vs. Custom 24-08/35th Anniversary Switching

phoenixbt

Hope this isn’t a dumb question, but I’m having some trouble with figuring out the differences in switching between these 3 models (CU24, 24-08, and the 35th Anniversary core CU24).

1. Does the 5 way blade of the CU24 give any pickup configurations that you can’t get with a 24-08/35th switching setup?

2. Is the switching system on the 35th CU24 the same as on a 24-08, just with a 3 way toggle instead of a 3 way blade? (Plus the two mini toggles on each)

3. Are the core 24-08’s switching from the 3 way blade to a 3 way toggle? I’ve seen models with both and the current PRs product page seems to show the toggle. Are these in essence the same just with a toggle swapped for the blade? Or is the switching different too?

Thanks!!

1) I believe the 5-way blade switch utilizes a different wiring schematic in reference to series parallel. I'm not the least bit educated in this, so I'm sure someone else can elaborate. Also, on the 24-08 models (and 35th Anniversary) the neck pickup is reversed, so the pole pieces sit favoring the bridge. This changes the tone a bit for the split sounds. I would say that on my Custom 24 models equipped with a 5-way blade, there is a "quackier" sound to the split tones than on my 24-08 and 35th Anniversary.

2) I believe so. Although, I'm not 100% certain that the newer 24-08's reverse the position of the neck pickup. My 24-08 (2018) and 35th Anniversary both have a reversed neck pickup.

3) Yeah, the newer 24-08's now utilize the same switching mechanics of the 35th Anniversary Custom 24's.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

1) I believe the 5-way blade switch utilizes a different wiring schematic in reference to series parallel. I'm not the least bit educated in this, so I'm sure someone else can elaborate. Also, on the 24-08 models (and 35th Anniversary) the neck pickup is reversed, so the pole pieces sit favoring the bridge. This changes the tone a bit for the split sounds. I would say that on my Custom 24 models equipped with a 5-way blade, there is a "quackier" sound to the split tones than on my 24-08 and 35th Anniversary.

2) I believe so. Although, I'm not 100% certain that the newer 24-08's reverse the position of the neck pickup. My 24-08 (2018) and 35th Anniversary both have a reversed neck pickup.

3) Yeah, the newer 24-08's now utilize the same switching mechanics of the 35th Anniversary Custom 24's.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks! That’s super helpful. It seems like you’re a good person to ask this since you own all of them haha - which do you prefer? If given the chance to only own one (CU24, 24-08, or 35th), which one would you go for? Not taking price into account, figure they are all about the same.

I think the Custom 24-08 is derived from the switching on Paul's Guitar. PRS standardized on the 5-way blade switch due to player preference.

The key upgrades to the 35th Anniversary Guitars beyond the 24-08 switching is the small abalone Eagle on the headstock (Private Stock exclusive) and the abalone Birds neck Inlays. Since the PRS 35th Anniversary was in 2020 when COVID-19 hit, PRS was still shipping these models into 2021. Go for a Ten Top or Wood Library to get an extra special collectable PRS.

Watch the PRS and Peach Guitars (and Peach Boutique) YT Channels to get an overview of the 35th Anniversary Models. Then search Reverb to see the remaining selection of 35th Anniversary Models. There are lots in the UK, and fewer in the USA.

Cheers

Thanks! That’s super helpful. It seems like you’re a good person to ask this since you own all of them haha - which do you prefer? If given the chance to only own one (CU24, 24-08, or 35th), which one would you go for? Not taking price into account, figure they are all about the same.

Really, it's all circumstantial. For instance, I like to be able to switch pickups quickly when playing live....at home, it's not as necessary. For this, I always thought the 35th Anniversary was my perfect switching setup....the toggle behind the bridge, so I don't have to "jump" the trem arm to get to my pickup selector like on my 24-08 or "standard build" Custom 24. And then having mini-toggles for the coil-splitting.

However, I've come to find that I also like being able to go from bridge-humbucker to neck-and-bridge single coil all in one movement and not having to flip multiple switches to get there.

I have also found that the split sounds in a 5-way blade work better for the music I do for various reasons than the guitars with the different 24-08 switching. However, the split-neck tones on my 35th and my 24-08 are pure bliss....clear, yet warm and round. My 24-08 has 58/15MT pickups, 35th Anniversary has 85/15. My "standard" Custom 24 has 59/09's and my two Custom 24 Piezo's have 85/15's, for reference.

In the end, it's one of the reasons why I can't bring myself to ever sell a PRS....there's just too much to love about them.

Last edited:
Really, it's all circumstantial. For instance, I like to be able to switch pickups quickly when playing live....at home, it's not as necessary. For this, I always thought the 35th Anniversary was my perfect switching setup....the toggle behind the bridge, so I don't have to "jump" the trem arm to get to my pickup selector like on my 24-08 or "standard build" Custom 24. And then having mini-toggles for the coil-splitting.

However, I've come to find that I also like being able to go from bridge-humbucker to neck-and-bridge single coil all in one movement and not having to flip multiple switches to get there.

I have also found that the split sounds in a 5-way blade work better for the music I do for various reasons than the guitars with the different 24-08 switching. However, the split-neck tones on my 35th and my 24-08 are pure bliss....clear, yet warm and round. My 24-08 has 58/15MT pickups, 35th Anniversary has 85/15. My "standard" Custom 24 has 59/09's and my two Custom 24 Piezo's have 85/15's, for reference.

In the end, it's one of the reasons why I can't bring myself to ever sell a PRS....there's just too much to love about them.
Well now you’ve given me a lot to think about I’m not sure one 24 is going to be enough now haha

Well, the good news is that, either way you go, you can't go wrong. They're all incredible guitars with lots of great features to be had.
Great point I think I’m going to start with a 35th because they are hard to come by and will be gone soon I think. Then I’m sure the next one will tempt me soon after

Great point I think I’m going to start with a 35th because they are hard to come by and will be gone soon I think. Then I’m sure the next one will tempt me soon after

Great choice! My 35th is a fantastic instrument with incredible tonal balance and rock-solid stability. No doubt yours will be the same!

And yeah, it's usually best to just accept the idea that there will be more acquisitions somewhere down the road....it's pretty much inevitable. :p

The Custom 24 35th Anniversary is a dream! Second PRS in my collection and hands down the best :)

PRS_Custom_24_35th.jpg

Hope this isn’t a dumb question, but I’m having some trouble with figuring out the differences in switching between these 3 models (CU24, 24-08, and the 35th Anniversary core CU24).

1. Does the 5 way blade of the CU24 give any pickup configurations that you can’t get with a 24-08/35th switching setup?

2. Is the switching system on the 35th CU24 the same as on a 24-08, just with a 3 way toggle instead of a 3 way blade? (Plus the two mini toggles on each)

3. Are the core 24-08’s switching from the 3 way blade to a 3 way toggle? I’ve seen models with both and the current PRs product page seems to show the toggle. Are these in essence the same just with a toggle swapped for the blade? Or is the switching different too?

Thanks!!

Here is the control diagram on the standard five way blade..

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL2N1c3RvbS0yNC1jb250cm9scy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJqcGVnIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjgyLCJwcm9ncmVzc2l2ZSI6dHJ1ZSwidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWl6ZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxMjAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjkyNSwiZml0IjoiY292ZXIifX19

And here is the control diagram of the 24-08 (same as 35th Anniversary)..

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL2N1c3RvbS0yNC0wOC1jb250cm9scy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJqcGVnIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjgyLCJwcm9ncmVzc2l2ZSI6dHJ1ZSwidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWl6ZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxMjAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjE0MDUsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn19fQ==

Thanks!!

The main difference between the 'regular' Custom 24 with a 5-way blade and the Cu24-08 (either layout as the blade is a 3-way but in a different position to the toggle switch layout) is the neck pick-up active split coil. On the regular Cu24, the active coil is the one closest to the bridge where as on the 24-08's, it's the coil closest to the neck.

What that means is that any combination (2 and 4 on a regular) that uses the Split neck will sound different because you have an active single coil in a different position under the string. So essentially, you can get 3 of the 5 sounds and the other 2 will be a bit different.

In answer to your second point, the only difference is the position of the switch/blade and they have now adopted the 35th Anniversary 'layout' as the Cu24-08 layout - replacing the older style 'Blade' layout they used originally. That also answers your 3rd question too. The other thing to note is that from the 35th Anniversary (2020) models onwards, they have switched to Nitro over CAB finish and applied the TCI process across all their Pick-ups too. So the 'newer' 24-08 will have these differences too over the older, pre 2020 'blade' style Cu24-08's - I know they still made some in 2020 and 'switched' to the new/35th anniversary layout after their 35th anniversary - essentially opting to keep the 35th Anniversary layout beyond 2020 whilst deciding to drop the original blade layout...

As an owner of a 35th Anniversary S2 Custom 24 - it's an incredibly versatile guitar. I actually find myself splitting the coils and playing the single coils positions more often - at least when recording.

Quick question - I am thinking of upgrading the pickups (considering the good old Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz or PRS 57/08s).

Will all of these pickups still allow me to get the coil splitting features I have in the S2 Custom 24 with the two mini toggles?

As I said, I really enjoy the single coil sounds, but when it comes to the full humbucker tones, I need a bit more bite in the bridge, and smoothness in the neck.

Thanks in advance!

Back