Custom 24 Truss Rod..

IanJekelis

I just got my brand new Custom 24 10-Top in, and I love it. I noticed a bit of fret buzz and even slight fretting out on the high E string, so I assumed it was a truss rod issue. I took off the cover, and it seems as I adjust the nut of the truss rod, the whole rod moves, not the nut independently like I'm used to in my other guitars... Does the Custom 24 have an odd truss rod, or did I get a broken guitar? Thanks..

Edit: It seems I posted a bit too hastily... I checked the support section on the PRS site again and it says that the truss rod nut is "fused" to the rod. So I'm assuming that's what I'm seeing here, and everything is ok... WHEW!

Last edited:
It's easy to check whether the truss rod needs adjusting. Put a capo at the first fret. Press down the low E string at the 14th fret. That makes a straightedge. At the seventh fret, the string shouldn't touch the top of the fret. There should be a gap, about the thickness of a high E string. If its more, the neck may need to be straightened, by tightening he truss rod. If the string touches, the neck is back bowed, and the rod should be loosened.

Once the neck is right, if there's buzzing, it's probably a bridge issue, which you fix by raising the bridge, or a fret or nut issue, requiring repair.

Back