Custom 24 to 24-08?

Anachronism

Bassist with a guitar habit
I'd like to add more versatility to my Custom 24, and have been considering my options. Rewiring the existing pickups is on the table, but I was also wondering about effectively converting it to a 24-08. Is there any reason that I couldn't have those pickups put in, with the rotary knob replaced by a 3-way toggle and the coil switching handled either by push-pull additions to the tone and volume knobs, or by installing the mini-switches?

Not sure if you can buy the 58/15 MT pickups though the PTC at this time. Sending it to them to do the work would be the only option. Unlikely that you could find a used set.

Yes, I expect I’d have to send it in to them for this change.

Worth a shot to ask, but I wouldn't count on them installing MT pickups right now.

I can tell you though, the regular 85/15 split VERY well with the 1.1k and 2.2k resistors. Three way toggle with individual mini toggles for splits is an excellent setup.

Worth a shot to ask, but I wouldn't count on them installing MT pickups right now.

I can tell you though, the regular 85/15 split VERY well with the 1.1k and 2.2k resistors. Three way toggle with individual mini toggles for splits is an excellent setup.

Why wouldn’t PRS be willing to install the MTs? Unless there is a technical incompatibility or they don’t have enough for the factory, I don’t see why they would say no.

Why wouldn’t PRS be willing to install the MTs? Unless there is a technical incompatibility or they don’t have enough for the factory, I don’t see why they would say no.

No technical issues, but they're still fairly new and exclusive. For example in '16 they wouldn't install the 58/15 LT.

I don't speak for PRS though, so go ahead and ask! Just remember their main goal is selling new guitars...

I talked to Matt in the PTC, and you were right, they are not installing the latest pickups in older guitars. I'm disappointed in this, as it feels like a sort of planned obsolescence, which seems to run counter to the ethos I associated with PRS.

On the plus side, I should be sending my 513 in soon for some work that will make it a 513+.

I talked to Matt in the PTC, and you were right, they are not installing the latest pickups in older guitars. I'm disappointed in this, as it feels like a sort of planned obsolescence, which seems to run counter to the ethos I associated with PRS.

On the plus side, I should be sending my 513 in soon for some work that will make it a 513+.

I get your feeling. I was a little bummed a couple of years ago when I couldn't get what I was looking for. I also get why they won't do it. A lot of time and experimenting goes into development. Besides, if we could buy them, and drop them in my Cu24, I wouldn't need to buy a new one! In time, they'll hit the market.

I think it's very much in line with their ethos, actually. Always evolving and improving with new instruments, and Paul is unabashed about saying his goal is to sell new guitars. Think of it from their perspective. If they offer a 24-08 conversion, that's going to take away from new guitar sales.

Paul doesn't like selling their pickups at all. He wants to sell you the latest whole package. That's why they don't become available in PTC or in dealer shops until they're no longer the latest generation.

Like I said though, 85/15 with split resistors is an awesome setup, so don't rule that out.

The 85/15s aren't an option right now from the PTC.
I had expected more continuing customer service and support from PRS, to go along with their commitment to improvement. As it stands, guitars with older (but replaceable) hardware will always be kept behind the latest improvements, even if the owners would be willing to pay PRS itself to update them.
I'm not sure that this will actually push sales of new guitars, but it's Mr. Smith's business to run as he wishes, and while I'm disappointed, I'm not going to rage-quit the brand.

The 85/15s aren't an option right now from the PTC.
I had expected more continuing customer service and support from PRS, to go along with their commitment to improvement. As it stands, guitars with older (but replaceable) hardware will always be kept behind the latest improvements, even if the owners would be willing to pay PRS itself to update them.
I'm not sure that this will actually push sales of new guitars, but it's Mr. Smith's business to run as he wishes, and while I'm disappointed, I'm not going to rage-quit the brand.

Ah, bummer, I figured you could at least get the regular 85/15 (non-MT) set. Well, those turn up from time to time on eBay or Reverb, so keep an eye out.

Back