Custom 24 Stoptail: Do I really have to go PS???

juka

Pioneer Of The SCF
GAS strikes again and I'm dreaming about a Custom 24 Artist Package WITH a one-piece stoptail, because that's my prefered PRS bridge of all.

I know that PRS on very rare occasions makes an exception, because a very limited number of non-PS Cu24 Stoptails exists, but what would it take?
Which of the famous PRS dealer (wood library and so on) would be the most likely to convince them? ;)

Yeah, there are a few around, but as you said, they're few and far between. Try calling Eric (or Brandon) at Willcutt. They're a very big and well informed PRS dealer and are close with the company.

Look for a KL1812. They only made about 100 but they seem to pop up secondhand often enough. It's more like a standard than a custom but damn if it isn't a wondrous guitar.

Hey, go P24. Piezo's are awesome.

EDIT: Unless those only come with trems? I thought they were originally stoptailed like a p22

Hey, go P24. Piezo's are awesome.

EDIT: Unless those only come with trems? I thought they were originally stoptailed like a p22

They are not currently in production but there are a handful available from the 2012 PRS Experience (IIRC) in some dealers

Remember, The original Mira came 24 frets. The flame top version edges into your territory.

I think you should go PS to get a stoptail CU24 the same way I had to go PS to get a maple bodied Tonare Grand.

The silver lining, of course, is that PS guitars are wonderful and worth it! :top:

Well, is it a specific type of stoptail you want, or any non-trem bridge? Because the new Mark Holcomb has a string-through-body fixed bridge. Comes set-up and tuned to Drop C, but I'm sure you can tweak it back up to Standard E. Pickups are not standard issue PRS, but they look pretty intense!

It does have a 25.5" scale, vs the 25" scale of a "normal" CU24.

Well, is it a specific type of stoptail you want, or any non-trem bridge? Because the new Mark Holcomb has a string-through-body fixed bridge. Comes set-up and tuned to Drop C, but I'm sure you can tweak it back up to Standard E. Pickups are not standard issue PRS, but they look pretty intense!

It does have a 25.5" scale, vs the 25" scale of a "normal" CU24.

The new Mark Holcomb signature is an interesting offer for sure, especially as I'm into heavier stuff, too.
But for my (smaller) hands the 25" scale seems ideal and I really prefer the super smooth surface of the one-piece stoptail over every other bridge available.

I really hope PRS will add the stoptail option for their 24-fretters to the Artist Package in the future.

I love the PRS trem....it feels awesome to play and stays in tune! For me, it is a tone thing. I was spoiled, as the very first Custom 24 I played was a stop tail and it sounded amazing. Subsequent experiences with the Custom 24 were good, but none had that fullness and punch that the stop tail model had. The mid range and low end don't seem have as much presence. I have noticed this when comparing the Custom 22 models as well. This is actually the main reason I have never pulled the trigger on a Custom 24. It is also one of the many reasons I am so stoked on the Holcomb model!!

I doubt we will ever see that option added to the regular core version....but I will keep my fingers crossed that it finds its way to artist package for you. They added it back to the Tremonti model.....so you never know! :)

DSC_0086_zps74f1d3c0.jpg

Something like this?

You'll be able to find a stoptail cu24 made around 2000-2002, they were making them then regularly. Just a matter of finding someone dumb enough to sell theirs. :lol:

DSC_0086_zps74f1d3c0.jpg

Something like this?

Damn Skippy! With the dual mini coil taps? What IS this? Not a 408 or a PG, what model IS this? I love it!

Sorry, can't be one of those. No narrow field pickups. So what is it? (Showing too much ignorance here) And that is one killer bridge. I need one!

Last edited:
Back