Custom 24 replacement pickup recommendations

I have a 2011 cu24 with 5909s. That guitar is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever had.

The strange thing is, that guitar sounds good no matter what amp it's plugged into AND before any EQ changes. Bridge is just over 9k

I've had M pickups and they are great . They have excellent note separation and have plenty of output but they have zero muddy tone when pushed into high gain. Like Bodia said, not a one trick pony.

Ms really shine when you tune below standard pitch.

Also remember lowering a high output pickup can totally change its character.

Good luck.

Have you tried raising the bridge pickup closer to the strings? That’s what I did with my 85/15’s. You probably have but just a thought.

I am not a fan of 85/15 pickups in any incarnation. They are jack of all trades, master at none pickups. They are just meh sounding to me. I have them in my 2019 CE-24, but I am too lazy to swap them out for a different set of pickups. I have 57/08s in my Mira Korina. I would put 57/08s up with the best of the best from any winder. I disliked Mira pickups even more than I dislike 85/15 pickups.

I am not a fan of 85/15 pickups in any incarnation. They are jack of all trades, master at none pickups. They are just meh sounding to me. I have them in my 2019 CE-24, but I am too lazy to swap them out for a different set of pickups. I have 57/08s in my Mira Korina. I would put 57/08s up with the best of the best from any winder. I disliked Mira pickups even more than I dislike 85/15 pickups.
I used to think that, now I won’t change them again. Tried that already, and changing pickups is an expensive game. Plus they look great with the squabbins!

I used to think that, now I won’t change them again. Tried that already, and changing pickups is an expensive game. Plus they look great with the squabbins!

The whole premise of the 85/15 is flawed. I could care less if a humbucking pickup splits well. My Strats sound and respond better than any humbucking PRS pickup in split-mode. The PRS approach to single-coil tones is a compromise and that compromise comes at the cost of having a great humbucking tone. I was never as happy as I was when PRS switched to installing the HFS/VB set as standard equipment. I prefer the HFS/VB set to the 85/15 set and the original 1985 T&B set. The 85/15 treble pickup has no depth and the 85/15 bass pickup is no, just no. I am using my CE-24 as a Super Strat, which was the original target market for the design.

By the way, do you change the pickups in a post-2016 CE-24 without changing the cheap trem? A trem swap made huge improvement in the guitar's overall tone, but the pickups have to go as well.

Last edited:
I find 8515/5815 bridge pickup to be below average. I absolutely love the neck pickup.

I have considered putting the 8515 bridge back in my McCarty just because I have more amp/cab options now than I did before. Just to give it one more shot.

You can never go wrong with 57/08s or 59/09s if you want to stay with PRS pickups, either as a set or in a combo as mentioned above.

If you want to try something different I highly suggest you contact Sherm at Stocktone Custom shop. I had him make me a set of pickups and they are absolutely fantastic.

I've been a fan of the BKP Nailbombs and Holydivers for that type of sound. Dragon 1's have been hard to come by for years, even harder to come by without being listed as price gougers sadly.

Late to the game, but let me throw my vote in for a good EQ pedal early in the chain.

You say you like the cleans, which I think is a harder problem.

For gain, you can really alter things with a good EQ curve.

I have a 2016 CE 24 that I swapped in a pair of Lambertone Cremas. Looking to change up again. I took out the coil tap on the tone and just wired straight up with tone coil tap. Thinking about going with a pair of Lollar imperials. The whole reason I took out the 85/15 because the coil tap was just so different in volume. Would like to get the same set that is in the DGT to see how they would sound in the CE.

Back