Both Hum
Neck screw
Neck Hum
Bridge Screw
Bridge Screw + Neck screw
Bridge Screw + Neck Hum

With Dragon I’s...

Cool, that's my arrangement.

I love having the the neck single available right there on the blade.
I also like having the neck split/bridge HB easily within reach. Great for cleaning up some of the low end that you find with both HB.
And with the push/pull up, I kind of think of it like Tele mode. I got my single coil tones there and I love how the neck HB/bridge single beefs up for clean picking.

I went with:

Bridge Hum
Bridge Hum + Neck screw
Both Hum
Neck screw
Neck Hum
Bridge Screw
Bridge Screw + Neck screw
Bridge Screw + Neck Hum

With Dragon I’s...

With many members here I'd be afraid to ask this question. With a couple guys, NO WAY I'd ask it. With you, I (for now) feel safe asking it. So...

What is Bridge Screw and Neck Screw? :eek::D

Cool, that's my arrangement.

I love having the the neck single available right there on the blade.
I also like having the neck split/bridge HB easily within reach. Great for cleaning up some of the low end that you find with both HB.
And with the push/pull up, I kind of think of it like Tele mode. I got my single coil tones there and I love how the neck HB/bridge single beefs up for clean picking.

Yeah, I’m thrilled with the Dragons... they replaced a set of BK Warpigs and frankly, the Dragons do it better.

Right now, I’m just thrilled to have the two useable single tones. Also, the majority of the available tones are significantly different from each other and I love that. The guitar has not one ‘sterile’ tone...

Tonight, I’m going to compare the neck single/ bridge Hum to that same combo on my 408.

With many members here I'd be afraid to ask this question. With a couple guys, NO WAY I'd ask it. With you, I (for now) feel safe asking it. So...

What is Bridge Screw and Neck Screw? :eek::D

I can draw you a diagram on what screw means.

Sorry but you walked into that one.

Sorry, not sorry.

It’s just screw versus slug on pickup. I think the screw side has a fuller rounded tone. At least to my ear.

Yeah, I’m thrilled with the Dragons... they replaced a set of BK Warpigs and frankly, the Dragons do it better.

Right now, I’m just thrilled to have the two useable single tones. Also, the majority of the available tones are significantly different from each other and I love that. The guitar has not one ‘sterile’ tone...

Tonight, I’m going to compare the neck single/ bridge Hum to that same combo on my 408.

They are definitely different beasts but I like your thinking. I love the singlecoil tones of the 408, and while the Dragons are really good and clear I don't like them as much as the 408's. The bridge pickup on the 408 though doesn't hold a candle to the firebreathing nature of the Dragon 1 Treble.

I can draw you a diagram on what screw means.

Sorry but you walked into that one.

Sorry, not sorry.

It’s just screw versus slug on pickup. I think the screw side has a fuller rounded tone. At least to my ear.

yeah, I get enough zingers in. I don't mind being the Ed McMahon setup guy every once in a while. :D

Serious note. I played with which coil to use on splits on a guitar years ago and found I preferred the screw coil on the neck because it was right near the harmonic, but the slug sounded better on the bridge because it was a bit farther from the bridge (my theory) it was getting a little more string vibration.

Serious note. I played with which coil to use on splits on a guitar years ago and found I preferred the screw coil on the neck because it was right near the harmonic, but the slug sounded better on the bridge because it was a bit farther from the bridge (my theory) it was getting a little more string vibration.

Hmmm. Yeah it might pick up more vibration. We tried the slug coil on both and they sounded kind of ‘not unique’. I can’t really describe it. Some of it might be due to the fact that the Dragon bridge can easily overpower everything. The screw coil seemed to add some thickness while still being single coilly and defined. I was surprised by that.

With my 85/15 set, I originally had bridge splitting to slug, but it sounded weird for some reason. I changed it to screw and it sounded amazing. I think it comes down to the pickups and personal preference.

Hmmm. Yeah it might pick up more vibration. We tried the slug coil on both and they sounded kind of ‘not unique’. I can’t really describe it. Some of it might be due to the fact that the Dragon bridge can easily overpower everything. The screw coil seemed to add some thickness while still being single coilly and defined. I was surprised by that.
I should have clarified. I did flip the pickups and tried it both ways in each position. My theory was that (with those pickups) the "spot" was more important than just which coil it was. Meaning, either way I flipped the neck pickup, whichever one was on top sounded best. That top coil was right at the non-existent 24th fret spot.

I should have clarified. I did flip the pickups and tried it both ways in each position. My theory was that (with those pickups) the "spot" was more important than just which coil it was. Meaning, either way I flipped the neck pickup, whichever one was on top sounded best. That top coil was right at the non-existent 24th fret spot.

Yeah there could definitely be something to your theory.

I just went by whatever sounded the best.

I've become a fan of the CTS full size. They turn a bit stiffer than the PRS pots, which is fine for me on a tone control.

Do you know which manufacturer supplies pots for core PRS guitars these days? I tried to see pots of my ME but nothing stamped on the pot housings.
BTW, I also replaced SE pots with CTS one - completely different feeling. A bit stiffer but feels way more rigid.

Do you know which manufacturer supplies pots for core PRS guitars these days? I tried to see pots of my ME but nothing stamped on the pot housings.
BTW, I also replaced SE pots with CTS one - completely different feeling. A bit stiffer but feels way more rigid.

They sell the pots on the PRS accessory site. All I know is they are modified from original to have less friction when turning.

Yeah there could definitely be something to your theory.

I just went by whatever sounded the best.
As did I. I just found out interesting that I preferred whichever coil was in a certain position, rather than just a certain coil

As did I. I just found out interesting that I preferred whichever coil was in a certain position, rather than just a certain coil

Yeah, it’s interesting how we ended up with different choices based on what sounded best to us. Has a lot to do with preference, pickups, the guitar, and the amp. My custom has a Rosewood neck and Dragons and going into a Mesa. Another Custom that I played around with had the same mod, but was a hog neck with rotary and into a PRS amp and it sounded different in all positions. I do know that the screw and slug were flipped in that guitar... but it definitely didn’t sound good in my guitar.

Back