Custom 24 Re-wire? More options?

Casi1

Guys,

Has anybody successfully re-wired a Custom 24 (with 5 way blade) to get additional or different than stock pickup combinations?

If so, can you share how you did it or provide a diagram? I remember seeing something in the forums awhile ago but it was for the rotary switch not the blade. I gots the blade.

Thanks!

You rang?

You can certainly get up to some shenanigans with the stock switch, but it's somewhat limited. Things get more interesting with a push/pull in the mix. Even more options open up if you replace the PRS blade with a four pole super switch.

Here's what I did with mine. Stock blade with added push/pull to get 8 combos.

jV17UOr.jpg

You rang?

You can certainly get up to some shenanigans with the stock switch, but it's somewhat limited. Things get more interesting with a push/pull in the mix. Even more options open up if you replace the PRS blade with a four pole super switch.

Here's what I did with mine. Stock blade with added push/pull to get 8 combos.

jV17UOr.jpg

Thanks!

I’m thinking about doing this with my 3 conductor Dragons. I don’t think the split will be as nice as 85/15 pups...

Do you know what the standard PRS pots are rated for? I will try to find a push/pull.

I've thought about redoing mine but I somehow managed to get a blade with the rotary switch combinations from the factory.

I was thinking last night how it would be cool to do a push pull for some other sounds.

Thanks!

I’m thinking about doing this with my 3 conductor Dragons. I don’t think the split will be as nice as 85/15 pups...

Do you know what the standard PRS pots are rated for? I will try to find a push/pull.

Dragons! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I love those pickups

Thanks!

I've become a fan of the CTS full size. They turn a bit stiffer than the PRS pots, which is fine for me on a tone control.

85/15 are amazing split, but who knows the Dragons may be cool too. You can try with or without the resistors.

I've become a fan of the CTS full size. They turn a bit stiffer than the PRS pots, which is fine for me on a tone control.

85/15 are amazing split, but who knows the Dragons may be cool too. You can try with or without the resistors.

Splits on the Dragons are actually really nice. I’d love to have a set with 408 switching.

I’ve got a leftover pack of BK pots that I may use for this. They are a touch over 500k though. I kinda wish I could find a suitable bridge pickup to match with my 85/15 neck in case the Dragons don’t work out with this mod.

What are the purpose of the resistors in this diagram / what effect on the tone do they have?

Also, do you happen to have a wiring diagram for the stock wiring or know where I could find one on the Internet? In case I have to restore this guitar to original config in the future.

:)

...do you happen to have a wiring diagram for the stock wiring or know where I could find one on the Internet? In case I have to restore this guitar to original config in the future...

Always the best path is to disconnect the original wiring harness and parts in as complete sections as possible and save to the side, then do all the mods with new parts. That way if you ever want to go back you have the original to drop in -- you might miss the original tones or want to sell the guitar.

Volume pots over 500k actual readings will be brighter, measured pots under 500k will be darker. If you like the tone you have now, measure the current pots and match them for actual readings on any new circuit mods you do. Pots have a 20% spec range and it matters.

I tend to grab Bourns pots over CTS, after I saw the limited run of white relic EVH touring guitars a few years back that sold retail at $13k were built with Bourns -- EVH does a lot of swells five nights a week for a tour season -- so I knew they would be durable from that stress test. And I find I like the feel of them.

Factory wiring diagrams: https://prsguitars.com/support/schematics

Look up the Ibanez RG wiring diagrams for some varied pickup bobbin combination ideas.

Remember to keep the switching simple enough so you can remember what you have while on stage or months later.

Always the best path is to disconnect the original wiring harness and parts in as complete sections as possible and save to the side, then do all the mods with new parts. That way if you ever want to go back you have the original to drop in -- you might miss the original tones or want to sell the guitar.

Volume pots over 500k actual readings will be brighter, measured pots under 500k will be darker. If you like the tone you have now, measure the current pots and match them for actual readings on any new circuit mods you do. Pots have a 20% spec range and it matters.

I tend to grab Bourns pots over CTS, after I saw the limited run of white relic EVH touring guitars a few years back that sold retail at $13k were built with Bourns -- EVH does a lot of swells five nights a week for a tour season -- so I knew they would be durable from that stress test. And I find I like the feel of them.

Factory wiring diagrams: https://prsguitars.com/support/schematics

Look up the Ibanez RG wiring diagrams for some varied pickup bobbin combination ideas.

Remember to keep the switching simple enough so you can remember what you have while on stage or months later.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, I’d love to have a complete set of separate parts for the mod but I don’t have another PRS switch in my parts drawer so I’m kinda stuck with using the existing one.

What are the purpose of the resistors in this diagram / what effect on the tone do they have?

The resistors keep the coil from being completely cancelled out. A small amount of signal comes through, which beefs up the split tone a bit.

You could always buy new parts, but it's not a big deal to rewire things later if you change your mind.

Did you have a particular set of tones in mind? I based my mods on my own personal logic and how I like to use the guitar. Works great for me, but maybe not for everyone else.

One of the mods PTC was doing for a while leaves the blade alone mostly, and uses a push/pull to split the humbuckers. There are tons of other options. It just depends on what your end goal is.

I think beefing up the tone will be good. I’m trying to make this guitar as Swiss Army knife as possible (now that I’ve decided to keep it and keep my strats in E flat) so I want to get a nice split tone (probably neck split), a decent thick tone (probably neck or both), a growly gainy tone (bridge), and a split bridge (definitely need resistor).

One more question, I see that the 85/15 wire colors are different than the Dragons... Garrett, are the Red and White wires flipped on the new pickups versus the older ones?

I found an old PRS document that shows that the 3 conductor grey Dragon has Neck: white is hot / Black is ground and Bridge: Black is hot / white is ground.

Did your mod purposely switch those wires or does the newer 85/15 have the stock wires different from the old Dragons?

I think beefing up the tone will be good. I’m trying to make this guitar as Swiss Army knife as possible (now that I’ve decided to keep it and keep my strats in E flat) so I want to get a nice split tone (probably neck split), a decent thick tone (probably neck or both), a growly gainy tone (bridge), and a split bridge (definitely need resistor).

That's pretty simple. You can rework the PRS blade to give you:

Bridge HB
Bridge slug coil
Both HB
Neck screw coil
Neck HB

One more question, I see that the 85/15 wire colors are different than the Dragons... Garrett, are the Red and White wires flipped on the new pickups versus the older ones?

I found an old PRS document that shows that the 3 conductor grey Dragon has Neck: white is hot / Black is ground and Bridge: Black is hot / white is ground.

Did your mod purposely switch those wires or does the newer 85/15 have the stock wires different from the old Dragons?

The newer pickups are a little different. You'll be able to tell the start and finish wires from the tap wire by measuring with a multi-meter.

Thanks for all of the help on this. I got my Custom back yesterday and it’s ridiculously awesome with this mod. The pickups can convincingly go from LP tone to Strat-like now with the additional tones on tap. I feel like I’m goin crazy trying to decide if I like the tones with pot pulled out vs the tones with pot pushed in! I want to like one config more than the other and I can’t make up my mind!

I ended up using the original PRS switch.

Thanks for all of the help on this. I got my Custom back yesterday and it’s ridiculously awesome with this mod. The pickups can convincingly go from LP tone to Strat-like now with the additional tones on tap. I feel like I’m goin crazy trying to decide if I like the tones with pot pulled out vs the tones with pot pushed in! I want to like one config more than the other and I can’t make up my mind!

I ended up using the original PRS switch.

Cool! Which wiring scheme did you go with?

Back