Custom 24 Pickup Covers

Quiksilver

Hi all,

After waiting like it seemed an eternity, Paul Reed Smith has finally released a left handed PRS SE in the Custom 24.

I've already placed my order and waiting to receive it. One snag though, I've ordered the Whale Blue version, but it comes with Zebra pickups which I am not a fan of. I was thinking of covering the pickups rather than replacing them altogether (would like to give the 85/15 "S" a try first)

I've seen other threads of people recommending Philadelphia Luthier Tools, particularly because they even have a "Jet Black" pickup cover haha.

Anyway, my question is to those that have a PRS SE Custom 24 with 85/15 "S" pickups: What dimensions do these pickups have, in other words, which should I buy? 50mm, 52mm, 53mm?

Thanks for you input guys, and a special thanks to PRS for finally making a PRS SE!

I have black nickel covers from Philly on my 2015 SE Custom 24. They are the same alloy used on the original G humbuckers. They're great!

Hi Quicksilver! I have just joined the PRS SE Custom 24 clan with the first electric guitar since I was a teenager. I'm a semi-novice player and I'm still finding my personal playing style, so I need a lot of versatility in my pickups. I have been playing on the "85\15 S" pickups for about a week and so far they are extremely versatile, (especially with my Fender Mustang GT 40 ultra-modelling amp), but like you, I HATE the zebra look. I already got a cheap-ass set of black p-up rings just untill I can order a PRS pair. I'm looking at either putting on chrome covers or buying new ones all together. I also echo your questions about what spacing needs to be used, etc. I'd love to hear what you decide to do.

Thanks shimmilou! Yeah, I am getting the same measurements when I try to measure the 85\15 'S' p-ups but Philadelphia Luthier Tools has 49.2mm & 50mm, (plus 48, 51, 52 & 53mm to boot) and I can't get that accurate. How do you feel the tone of the 85\15 'S' p-ups vary against the SD JB\Jazz set? As I said before, I need lots of variety. I don't have much experience with different p-ups, but so far the 85\15 S's do ok, so that's the benchmark I have to measure by. Thanks for the information!

I didn't care for the 85/15 "S" sound, so replaced them with the JB/Jazz set. Could be this particular guitar with the maple neck affecting the tone enough, or just a wonky set of pups, idk.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ngd-se-custom-24-npd-jb-jazz-set.30897/

The specs on the Seymour Duncan covers are 1.930 inches, which is approx 49.022 mm, and they seem to fit just fine. You can dry fit one to check, and hopefully be able to return if doesn't fit. Just screw out the pole pieces enough to fit into the cover holes, then pop on a cover to try it. Sounds like the 49.2 mm might be perfect, and maybe even the 50 mm. Being soft (plastic?) bobbins, I'm sure there are slight variations between similar pups. The main variation in size is between Gibson sized humbuckers (49-50mm) and the wider spaced trembuckers (52 +mm). A vinatge spaced Fender would be "F spaced" or "trembucker" size (at least for the bridge).

Last edited:
I’m also waiting on a lefty whale blue SE Custom 24. When did you order? Have you been given a timeframe as to when to expect it come in?

Last edited:
My custom order of a Tokai LS138F/L arrived and that put my PRS purchase on hold. However, I was at my local guitar store picking up a cheapo Vintage VS6 (SG-style which felt/played great!) and I saw a Whale Blue and Fire Red Burst lefties, as well as the other righty versions also.

Not sure where you're located, but have you looked at Thomann.de (if you're in Europe)

Hi Quicksilver! I have just joined the PRS SE Custom 24 clan with the first electric guitar since I was a teenager. I'm a semi-novice player and I'm still finding my personal playing style, so I need a lot of versatility in my pickups. I have been playing on the "85\15 S" pickups for about a week and so far they are extremely versatile, (especially with my Fender Mustang GT 40 ultra-modelling amp), but like you, I HATE the zebra look. I already got a cheap-ass set of black p-up rings just untill I can order a PRS pair. I'm looking at either putting on chrome covers or buying new ones all together. I also echo your questions about what spacing needs to be used, etc. I'd love to hear what you decide to do.

I actually ordered a set of IronGear Rolling Mill/Hot Slag combo (Black, no covers) in anticipation of the PRS itself (the cart before the horse indeed!) but I don't have the SE yet and can't say how they work out. I actually ordered a bunch of other stuff in anticipation but went with the maple pickup rings from crazyparts.de :D

Back