Custom 24 + Mesa ?

Studio 22
Cannabis Rex cone
Few snip snips under the curtain
Liberal application of 12aut, 12ayt, 5751
(There made multiple tasty recipes out there)

you’ll have an amp that breathes you can carry

Studio 22
Cannabis Rex cone
Few snip snips under the curtain
Liberal application of 12aut, 12ayt, 5751
(There made multiple tasty recipes out there)

you’ll have an amp that breathes you can carry

They’re deceptively heavy for their size (I know;))

My gut has been Mark V for some time now. Those of you that played both the iv and V, is the V more versatile?

The IV isn’t as versatile. The V has a “better” crunch/second channel if that’s your thing, and the “fat” mode on channel one is great.

But… I moved my MkV and wound up with a IVa and am way happier. The reverb sounds more fender-y, great clean tones, less “fizz” on the lead channel, the loop isn’t as artifact-y (or is at least in a different way), and since I found the MkIV mode to be the “best” mode on the lead channel in a MkV… I don’t regret my choice one bit. I also dig the smaller foot switch.

Contrary to most MkIV naysayers, I find myself tweaking the IV less than the V too. Can’t really go wrong with either though.

The IV isn’t as versatile. The V has a “better” crunch/second channel if that’s your thing, and the “fat” mode on channel one is great.

But… I moved my MkV and wound up with a IVa and am way happier. The reverb sounds more fender-y, great clean tones, less “fizz” on the lead channel, the loop isn’t as artifact-y (or is at least in a different way), and since I found the MkIV mode to be the “best” mode on the lead channel in a MkV… I don’t regret my choice one bit. I also dig the smaller foot switch.

Contrary to most MkIV naysayers, I find myself tweaking the IV less than the V too. Can’t really go wrong with either though.

the important thing is that it works for you!

you’ve got some nice recordings, Serg. Why not post some links so the OP can get some context Re: your playing style?

What are some of the bands you dig? What gear are they using?

PRS work well with Mesa because they have the double humbucker sound without the Gibson mud, and their intonation works really well with high gain at reducing dissonance so I can play something more complex than a power chord without it going to complete ****.

None of which matters if you really dig CCR.

PRS and MESA have been a timeless combo in my experience.

Had it not been for the Archon, I would've likely kept my Dual Rectifier. That being said, their closed back cabs are still a mainstay for me.

Went with a USA made Archon 50 head. I was also looking at used Mark V heads and may plan to scoop one up if I come across one that fits my bill.

I've owned both Recto & Mark V, and I have to agree with the overwhelming vote for the Mark series for it's versatility, as you will be able to get a more modern sound out of it with pedals & such, where you cannot turn a Recto tone into something vintage very well.
That said, a Mark with extra gain & processing won't do the modern thing as well as a Recto does, so there's the trade off.

I love my Rockerverb 50 MkIII head. My Cu24P and my CE24 Semi-hollow body sound fantastic through it.
It is a great combination from clean through gain.

Just FYI, your RV has a secret feature. Plug shorted jack in to a reverb F/S out and use the Reverb knob as a additional preamp stage. It adds a bit of fullness, maybe a touch of drive. Go easy with it as its crapping the clean channel - its global feature for both channels. Kinda design fault that shorts the spring tank but keeps the reverb triode still in signal chain.

Have fun :)

I'm glad I have both a Rectoverb 25 and a Mark 5:25 so that I don't have to choose between the two.

Your post is right on as well.

Rereading this thread, it occurs to me that I should clarify that I was referring to Serious Poo's earlier post, not the one complimenting my post.

I'm an egomaniac to be sure, but that would be a bit extreme, even for me. ;)

Back