Custom 24 buzzing on low E and slightly on G

Pooly

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone can help me, I have just bought a Custom 24 and the low E seems to buzz a fair bit when picked quite hard and it is audible through recording and the G string buzzes less but again still audible through recording I am quite concerned as I have invested a lot buying this guitar.

any help would be much appriciated

Kind regards

Pooly

You may have to raise the action at the Bridge until the Buzz goes away, You should also check that there is no excessive bow in the neck. An experienced Luthier or Guitar Shop can help you with this, if you are not comfortable or equipped to do it yourself.

You may have to raise the action at the Bridge until the Buzz goes away, You should also check that there is no excessive bow in the neck. An experienced Luthier or Guitar Shop can help you with this, if you are not comfortable or equipped to do it yourself.

Hi Wakester,

Thanks for your help, I am pretty handy when it comes to adjustments and stuff but not had much experience with guitars I am just wondering if I would be best going back to the shop and getting them to rectify? the videos I have watched don't really explain enough about what the bridge should look like if evenly adjusted.....

Hi Wakester,

Thanks for your help, I am pretty handy when it comes to adjustments and stuff but not had much experience with guitars I am just wondering if I would be best going back to the shop and getting them to rectify? the videos I have watched don't really explain enough about what the bridge should look like if evenly adjusted.....
I would suggest going back to the shop and working with the Guitar Tech to get the exact sound you want out of the Guitar. The process is fairly easy to do, and should only take about a half hour at most. Any tech worth his pay will help you set up the guitar the way you want it, not the way they want it.

If you do try it yourself, here is the link to the best way of doing a set up, hope it is helpful:

I would suggest going back to the shop and working with the Guitar Tech to get the exact sound you want out of the Guitar. The process is fairly easy to do, and should only take about a half hour at most. Any tech worth his pay will help you set up the guitar the way you want it, not the way they want it.

If you do try it yourself, here is the link to the best way of doing a set up, hope it is helpful:

Many thanks for this, set up looks very simple may be best to do this before returning to the shop?

You have some explications here : http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html
I tried myself but it's long to find the good setting (if I move a little the trust road I had to wait 2 days for stabilisation). Finally I payed 40€ (35 $ ?) and a professional (luthier ? ) did the job very well.
When you spend so much money in a guitar it's better to give a billet to have the good setting ? Probably your custom will do it for free.

so after a bit of examination it seems worse open and when fretted it gets better but definitely not gone, is this a indication of action/truss problems or nut?

so after a bit of examination it seems worse open and when fretted it gets better but definitely not gone, is this a indication of action/truss problems or nut?
If it is buzzing up the entire scale, it is the action, if it only buzzes at a specific area of the scale it may need a truss adjustment or fret leveling.

If it is buzzing up the entire scale, it is the action, if it only buzzes at a specific area of the scale it may need a truss adjustment or fret leveling.

does it all the way up the neck so hopefully it is the action as you said. thanks for so much for your advice much appreciated.

better get some gauges now haha.

Wakester- thank you very much!
This video is terrific- absolutely the most solid, detailed, & comprehensive that I have seen
It takes all of the mystery out of guitar setup and puts it on a by the numbers basis.
I was able to get the feeler gauges and string height gauge both on Amazon for $15.
Amazing...
Anyone who is interested- the string height gauge is here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDBXXG0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the feeler gauges are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYGIR4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wakester- thank you very much!
This video is terrific- absolutely the most solid, detailed, & comprehensive that I have seen
It takes all of the mystery out of guitar setup and puts it on a by the numbers basis.
I was able to get the feeler gauges and string height gauge both on Amazon for $15.
Amazing...
Anyone who is interested- the string height gauge is here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDBXXG0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the feeler gauges are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYGIR4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes it is a very informative video, I believe the guy who did it is or was a forum member. To be 100% honest, I used an American quarter as my string height gauge, and a 18" level as my neck gauge. Whatever works I guess.

Whatever works indeed.
For years I've managed my solid body guitars just by eyeballing & getting the right feel by trial and error.
But, I recently got a Hollowbody II which is absolutely refusing to cooperate the way the solid bodies do.
By applying the techniques in this video, I tamed the beast in 20 minutes.
A real eye-opener for me

yep you'll need to teach yourself how to check neck relief and action, and how to adjust these.

That's not necessarily true about the buzzing in sections or up the whole neck. My Starla and strat for example will buzz evenly the whole length of the boards when you straighten the necks. And more relief stops buzzing, to a point, not the other way around. You will find most good guitars will buzz unevenly when you drop the action too far and the relief is decent, unless they have fallaway in the upper frets.

The only proper rule of thumb is to check your relief and your action, and play test the guitar and figure out which is the cause, if not both. Another thing to check on if the relief is okay and the action where you like it is the fret health, if you have a small straight edge you can roughly check how level your frets are. If they are worn enough you will experience buzz in sections. The cure is a fret level and it's good as gold.

Back