Its Luke

Hello

I am new to the PRS world, and had the chance to play my first PRS guitar.

Have had my eye on the Custom 24 58/15 for a little while now, and enjoyed a short test drive yesterday.

Love the whale blue finish and the look of these limited edition guitars. Like the 58/15 pickups a lot, and they seem to cover a lot of ground. Other specs seem to be: Birds not outlined, covered 58/15 pups, gen 3 trem (whatever that means) different selector switch, natural back.... Think that about covers it.

Just picked up a Kemper profiling amp and am hoping to consolidate down to 1 amp and 1 guitar.

I am a blues rocker at heart, and it seems like this guitar might do everything I need it to:
-humbuckers with some grit
-roll down the volume and they clean up
-coil split for decent single coil tones

PRS friends, what are your thoughts on the CU24 58/15 guitars? Are they worth the premium over other models? How are the build quality on these? What are your thoughts on the 58/15 pickups?
Anybody here have one of these guitars?

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Appreciate it!

Hello

I am new to the PRS world, and had the chance to play my first PRS guitar.

Have had my eye on the Custom 24 58/15 for a little while now, and enjoyed a short test drive yesterday.

Love the whale blue finish and the look of these limited edition guitars. Like the 58/15 pickups a lot, and they seem to cover a lot of ground. Other specs seem to be: Birds not outlined, covered 58/15 pups, gen 3 trem (whatever that means) different selector switch, natural back.... Think that about covers it.

Just picked up a Kemper profiling amp and am hoping to consolidate down to 1 amp and 1 guitar.

I am a blues rocker at heart, and it seems like this guitar might do everything I need it to:

PRS friends, what are your thoughts on the CU24 58/15 guitars? Are they worth the premium over other models? How are the build quality on these? What are your thoughts on the 58/15 pickups?
Anybody here have one of these guitars?

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Appreciate it!

I think the custom24s are just amazing guitars, and my personal favorite. I love the 85/15 pickups as well, but even though I've never had the opportunity to play both together, I think this would be an awesome combination. I think a guitar such as the on e you played is a great one guitar to have and I feel like you wouldn't regret it.
Cheers mate!

PRS friends, what are your thoughts on the CU24 58/15 guitars?
I think it'll meet your needs perfectly.

The guitar you speak of is a limited edition Custom 24 58/15 model. Yes, they do have a heftier price than a Custom 24 or even an Artist Package Custom 24. It is limited in that it was PRS's first offering of the 58 15's to the core model, Artist Grade Tops, Ebony fingerboards I believe, possibly fingerboard binding as well, and the Private Stock only Generation III tremelo, which others here on this forum have said has more to offer such as sustain, and an Artist Grade Black Paisley case. The Gen III tremelo has other features you should check up on. The guitar was made in small numbers, certain colors within that small number, and certain specific colors of abalone birds depending on the color of the guitar. I played one several times at my local store and spent several hours contemplating buying it until it sold to some other lucky buyer. Very, Very nice guitar. If you want, you can get an Artist Package Custom 24 with 58 15's with an ebony or Brazilian board, Artist Top, choice of about 60 colors, and black paisley case paisley case for less. You will not get the Gen III tremelo though or neck binding. Also with the Artist pack, you could opt for a Rosewood or Figured Maple Neck and spend about the same.

Bottomline: If you like the guitar. It is worth every bit of the coin! I just wanted to answer your question about the model and that it is significantly different from a Custom 24 or Artist package Custom 24.

Update to my post. You can read all about the 58 15 by going to the PRS product page (Guitars). scrolling to the bottom and clicking on (2015 models). After clicking, the screen will not change, but will allow you to scroll further down. Scroll to limtied editions and click on the 58 15 model. And yes it is an ebony fretboard with binding. Was not sure about that, but that was correct. Whichever you choose, post pics of your new guitar or let us know your specs if you order one. Enjoy!

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone!
Seems like a good little community you have here.

The only other color I like better than the faded whale blue is the Northern Lights Smoke Burst which I am imagining is a Private Stock color only? Is that correct?

Thanks again

I've got a 25th Anniversary Custom - essentially a Custom 24 with early 57/08s in it, neck binding, and five way dial switching - and I absolutely love it! It's the guitar that really brought me into PRS big time (the third Custom 24 I'd owned over the years) and I find it the perfect Classic Rock Cover axe... I used it for six years as my main live guitar in a Classic Rock cover band that did Stones to April Wine to Robert Palmer, The Band, Jerry Doucette, Eric Clapton and U2, and it covered all the necessary bases beautifully. It's a joy to play and I find it endlessly inspiring, and though I've been out of that particular band over a year now, I had it out again last Saturday night... Personally, I can't recommend a CU24 with five-way switching and PAF-like pups enough!

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone!
Seems like a good little community you have here.

The only other color I like better than the faded whale blue is the Northern Lights Smoke Burst which I am imagining is a Private Stock color only? Is that correct?

Thanks again
Correct. Faded whale blue is one of my favorite colors too. My understanding is the Gen 3 trem is the most stable trem in terms of tuning. That's what I've heard from those that have one. I believe the bridge on the one you're looking at has slots that the string height set screws sit in which keeps them from moving back and forth. There's more info here: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/gen-iii-tremolo.16642/
The guitar is also an artist package top, which is nicer than a 10 top and nicer birds.

edit: If you've played the guitar and love the guitar, it's a no brainer - get it. I like the artist pack upgrades.

Back