Custom 24 2009 vs 2016

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Leistera, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Leistera

Leistera New Member

Year ago, I traded my 2009 model Custom 24 for Gibson LP R8, that I deeply regret now. The acoustic sound of the Cu 24 was excellent, but I didn't like the HFS pickups. To me, the HFS pickups destroyed the sound coming out of otherwise excellent guitar.

I have a budget for a new gore PRS and seriously considering the new Custom 24. How do you see the new 85/15-pickups compared to HFS-pickups?

2. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

I can't quote on the HFS-pups but I have a few others including a 30th Anni CUS-24, 85/15s.
    Some of these are very nice indeed but if there was a fire and I could only save one I believe it would be that.
    For me it does the lot. Best guitar I've been lucky enough to own.
    There are a few clips of Paul talking of these. check e'm out my man & good luck.

Leistera likes this.
  3. Leistera

Leistera New Member

Thanks, Alan. I like the 85/15 sound clips in Youtube, although it is hard to judge on that basis. I own Modern Eagle Quatro with 53/10 pickups and I like them better than HFS. To me the 53/10 are more "transparent" with the overdrive sound of my Mesa Mark V.

4. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc #NeverGibson

I've heard really good things about the 85/15's. I didn't care for the HFS either in mine. I'm on my 2nd pickup set in that one, currently 53/10 neck with \m/ bridge. I'm thinking about putting a 59/09 neck in or maybe an 85/15 if I can find one to make it a bit more modern all around. I love that 53/10 though just like you said. it's a beautiful sounding pickup.

Leistera likes this.
  5. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

I didn't care for the hfs either. I have a cu24 with 5909s and it sounds really good. Don't have any experience with 8515s

Leistera likes this.