Custom 24-08

Can someone confirm if the 24-08 has a treble bleed (as mentioned in this demo @1:54):

Sorry for the delay, but just in case it hasn't been confirmed yet, yes - there is a treble bleed on the volume pot. I opened mine up this weekend to check, and sure enough, there was one there. It surprised me though because, as I said before, the volume swells on this guitar are incredibly smooth...much more so than my Custom 24 with 59/09's and a treble bleed. Not sure what the difference is, but there is definitely a treble bleed on both guitars.

It would be nice for the 24-08 to become the 'standard' for the Custom 24. I have the regular Custom 24 and that gives me 5 options with the blade but 2 and 4 are both pick-ups (like 3) but with some splitting of the coils - both have the neck split but one has the bridge split and one with the bridge in Humbucker. You can't, for example, use the neck or bridge on its own split which would be advantageous in some situations - I can with my McCarty 594 for example or my 509 too for that matter.

It adds options and whilst I love my Custom 24, I almost wish I add tried to find the 24-08 in the same colour with an equally nice top. I don't know that I would necessarily use 'all' the options regularly - especially the split bridge with full neck humbucker option but I would still like that option as its better to have and not need than to need and not have. The McCarty 594 offers this because its got individual tone and volume pots with push/pull's for each humbucker. That's possibly easier than wiring in those little toggle switches and offers more option than having a 'master' tone volume with a single push/pull that splits both simultaneously.

As I already have a Custom 24, I can't say that I can justify another at the moment - just for those extra options - doesn't stop me wanting one though and the Forum guitar could be a way to get one. Ideally I want to get a Hollowbody II with Piezo as that offers more that I don't yet have in my arsenal - a hollowbody guitar or piezo. I know you can get Piezo on a Solid body but there is something that doesn't seem right to me - a solid body with an Acoustic sound seems off in my eyes. I would like to see PRS do a HB3 with Piezo where the input jack is a singular stereo input - like the Music Man Majesty Monachy as it looks so much neater than having two input jacks...

Anyway, that's getting a bit off topic but may explain why I am less in need of a 24-08 at the moment - not that its stopping me wanting one. I can't think of any reason why the 24-08 shouldn't be the standard moving forward - I assume the sounds the current standard gives can be achieved on the 24-08 with the added advantage of playing the two humbuckers as split individually rather than as a 'pair' - that's assuming that the pick-ups are mounted the same way so you get the same 'split' and phase of course.

Prs has offered a mod through PTC which puts a push pull on the tone of normal cu24s. It splits the pickups so you can get single coil tones.

Didn’t know if you were aware.

Prs has offered a mod through PTC which puts a push pull on the tone of normal cu24s. It splits the pickups so you can get single coil tones.

Didn’t know if you were aware.

I wasn't aware - but I am OK with my '5' options. I have a 509 and 594 that offer SC options if I need and tend to prefer full humbuckers anyway. I am looking at adding a new guitar to the collection in the near future and was considering the PRS Special semi-hollow although my first choice is a Hollowbody 2. If I do go for the Special, that does offer SC options too but I don't think they do it in 'my' colour. Waiting to see if NAMM throws up any surprises before deciding...

My Custom 24 is missing the option of split neck, split bridge and split bridge/full neck and I only tend to just use positions 1,3 and 5 90% of the time. I also live in the UK and so PTC isn't an 'easy' option. If it was, I maybe would have sent my 509 in for a push/pull modification to switch between the middle SC and the two humbuckers together. The Special could have done something similar - Position 3 is just the humbuckers but a push/pull option could switch between those or just the Narrowfield.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the 24-08 does become the 'standard' for the Custom 24 in the future. It seems the logical step...

Back