Custom 24-08

I was just referring to the layout. I find the blade switch too far away on the Custom and 408 design. Plus it's always competing for space with the trem arm.

The location of the blade on the 509 is much more ergonomic for me. If you sweep the whammy bar back, you have full access to all controls.

With the Signature layout, it's no problem to quickly reach back and smack the toggle around. You can position the trem arm in between the volume and tone, so it isn't too much in the way.

I guess that depends on where you keep the Trem arm in general if you use it a lot too. I know a lot that have it facing completely backwards when not in use and some that look like they keep hold of it when switching PU's so its not in their way. I do agree that the 5-way blade is slightly better positioned - being that little bit further forward but also lower down on the guitar. I admit I haven't played a 408 or Custom 24 myself to know how much that position gets in the way of a trem and I don't use a trem often either. I always preferred the 'Gibson' and McCarty 594 switching position myself to having a blade on the lower section but with a 5-way switch, I can see that being more of an issue to have it on the top. You would need to move the Trem arm so its pointing further back to have clear access so I can appreciate your comment - maybe worth forwarding that to PRS so they look at the ergonomics and refine their positioning for future Custom 24-08 and 408 guitars and potential players. Maybe not enough use the Trem to have come across that - you don't see Bryan Ewald or PRS use them often (if at all) so they may not have given it as much thought as they do to the tone and build quality. One thing that impressed me with the Music Man Majesty is the ergonomics of everything - even down to the directions of the switches so there is room to improve there...

I just took delivery of this. Going with a 24-08 was a great decision. Really great ability to have a great single coil tone for the neck pickup for part of a solo, and then switch to humbucking on the bridge to give it some fire. I'm really in love with this guitar. Side note, I'd like to see PRS go with more stoptail 24 fret guitars...I'm just saying ;)

I've been scouring the web for Cu24-08s and I realise some special orders and private stocks have the neck humbucker in the "correct" facing, with the screws nearer the neck. Does anyone know if tonally, having the neck pickup reversed changes the tone, which is why some people want it in its "correct" facing?

Any updates or thoughts? For those who have, how is it after the honeymoon phase?

Any owners or future owners? Thoughts/pics?

I seriously want one but it seems I am somewhat financially restrained at the moment and figuring out how to pay for one of these is a bit of a challenge. :)

I seriously want one but it seems I am somewhat financially restrained at the moment and figuring out how to pay for one of these is a bit of a challenge. :)

Clark-Griswold-Credit-Card-ATM-Cash-and-Smile.gif

Can someone confirm if the 24-08 has a treble bleed (as mentioned in this demo @1:54):

It would be nice for the 24-08 to become the 'standard' for the Custom 24. I have the regular Custom 24 and that gives me 5 options with the blade but 2 and 4 are both pick-ups (like 3) but with some splitting of the coils - both have the neck split but one has the bridge split and one with the bridge in Humbucker. You can't, for example, use the neck or bridge on its own split which would be advantageous in some situations - I can with my McCarty 594 for example or my 509 too for that matter.

It adds options and whilst I love my Custom 24, I almost wish I add tried to find the 24-08 in the same colour with an equally nice top. I don't know that I would necessarily use 'all' the options regularly - especially the split bridge with full neck humbucker option but I would still like that option as its better to have and not need than to need and not have. The McCarty 594 offers this because its got individual tone and volume pots with push/pull's for each humbucker. That's possibly easier than wiring in those little toggle switches and offers more option than having a 'master' tone volume with a single push/pull that splits both simultaneously.

As I already have a Custom 24, I can't say that I can justify another at the moment - just for those extra options - doesn't stop me wanting one though and the Forum guitar could be a way to get one. Ideally I want to get a Hollowbody II with Piezo as that offers more that I don't yet have in my arsenal - a hollowbody guitar or piezo. I know you can get Piezo on a Solid body but there is something that doesn't seem right to me - a solid body with an Acoustic sound seems off in my eyes. I would like to see PRS do a HB3 with Piezo where the input jack is a singular stereo input - like the Music Man Majesty Monachy as it looks so much neater than having two input jacks...

Anyway, that's getting a bit off topic but may explain why I am less in need of a 24-08 at the moment - not that its stopping me wanting one. I can't think of any reason why the 24-08 shouldn't be the standard moving forward - I assume the sounds the current standard gives can be achieved on the 24-08 with the added advantage of playing the two humbuckers as split individually rather than as a 'pair' - that's assuming that the pick-ups are mounted the same way so you get the same 'split' and phase of course.

Prs offers a rewire option for cu24 5 way blade. Push pull on tone to get single coil neck and bridge pickups. Won't get 2408 options but it does expand your stock cu24.

I want to do it.

Prs offers a rewire option for cu24 5 way blade. Push pull on tone to get single coil neck and bridge pickups. Won't get 2408 options but it does expand your stock cu24.

I want to do it.

In reality, I am happy with my Cu24 as it is. I may wish I had waited just for the extra options - more out of greed than need but I am more than ok to with the 5 options I have.

The only guitar I would consider trying to find a way to rewire is my 509. I would love to be able to switch from just the middle pick-up on its own (position 3 on the blade) to using the two outer pick-ups (like the middle position dual humbucker guitars). Obviously with the ability to individually switch the humbuckers to singles, just that wiring rework would give 4 more options - and all the options you would get from a Cu24-08. Obviously different pick-ups, PU placements and scale length does give it its own sound but that wiring change is enough to give it the versatility of a tele/strat/LP in one guitar. The fact that you can't use the two humbuckers together means some compromise or guitar swapping so having the option to use either the single coil on its own or the two humbuckers together would add more versatility to an already very versatile guitar. I would be more inclined to do that than rewire my Cu24. I do have a 594 with coil taps and the 8 options a Cu24-08 offers - albeit with different PU's and tone.

Can someone confirm if the 24-08 has a treble bleed (as mentioned in this demo @1:54):

I haven't opened mine up, but going off of comparisons, I want to say no. My 2012 Custom 24 with 59/09's had a treble bleed that I just couldn't get along with because I use volume swells a lot. The treble bleed was causing the volume to "jump" in rather abruptly and, after inquiring here, disconnecting the treble bleed corrected my issue.

My Custom 24-08 has incredibly smooth volume swells, which led me to believe there isn't a treble bleed. However, thinking about it now, I don't know if it's just because of the different pickups.

I will try opening it up to confirm.

Side note: Interesting that in the video, his 85/15 pickups were uncovered. All I've seen have covered pickups.

I would love to be able to switch from just the middle pick-up on its own (position 3 on the blade) to using the two outer pick-ups (like the middle position dual humbucker guitars).

I just shared a couple of diagrams for that very thing on another thread yesterday.

Also, I devised an 8 position wiring mod for Customs.

I'm waiting for the P24-08 version. Why not have every option in one guitar? 24 frets, 8 sounds, piezo. Add a semi-hollow or hollow body version of that and I know what my next purchase would be.

I just shared a couple of diagrams for that very thing on another thread yesterday.

Also, I devised an 8 position wiring mod for Customs.

Cool! Have you got a 509 yourself? Its almost a 513 by doing that - 5 pick-ups and 13 different options - although not the 13 the 513 had... LOL

I would love to have the confidence to be able to do that wiring job - I doubt it would cost much more than a push/pull pot to do but I don't have the confidence to attempt doing that myself on a very expensive guitar. I would be nervous doing it on a cheap guitar.

I am not so bothered about having the options on my Custom 24 as I bought that because it offered the Custom 24 options I am not so keen on single coil sounds - not on their own. My 509 is my Single Coil guitar and like I said, I can split the coils on my 594 too - although I tend to use it more as a double humbucker LP type guitar. As someone who prefers 'humbuckers', the option to have both on with my 509 instead of just the middle would be much more useful - although I would still like the option to use the middle on its own if I ever needed to. In my preference, I would have the middle selection having both humbuckers active as the default and pull up the pot to switch to the single coil as that would be used far less - as long as positions 2 and 4 still use the middle single as it does now.

but seriously, if I were to buy another Custom 24 (which is one of my two most favorite guitars) I would prefer it to be a 24-08 just so I would have the additional switching options. I am not aware of any other differences than the switching options.

I'm waiting for the P24-08 version. Why not have every option in one guitar? 24 frets, 8 sounds, piezo. Add a semi-hollow or hollow body version of that and I know what my next purchase would be.

The only reason would be because you don't want/need split coil tones on your Custom 24 and don't want to spend the extra on the 24-08. 2 of the extra 3 are just the neck or bridge split and the other option is the bridge split with neck humbucker (I believe) so may not be much used for some people - enough to warrant buying. I do think its better to have and not need than to need and not have but I bought mine because I wanted that classic Custom 24 guitar. As I said, I would have bought the 24-08 just because I would rather have and not need...

The reason I would rewire (or get rewired) my 509 is because I would use the two humbuckers - the equivalent to the middle position in my 594 and Cu24 and rarely (if ever) use the middle single coil. I don't really use my coil splits on my 594. I would rather add a Cu24-08 than rewire my Cu24 just because my Cu24 is a guitar I have lusted after for more years than I care to admit.

I do want a Hollowbody 2 with Piezo too as that offers things I can't get with any of my other guitars. I don't really use the full 24 frets but the position of the neck pick up changes the tones. Therefore I would be happy with a HB2 with Piezo or even a Hollowbody 594 with Piezo

Cool! Have you got a 509 yourself? Its almost a 513 by doing that - 5 pick-ups and 13 different options - although not the 13 the 513 had... LOL

I would love to have the confidence to be able to do that wiring job - I doubt it would cost much more than a push/pull pot to do but I don't have the confidence to attempt doing that myself on a very expensive guitar. I would be nervous doing it on a cheap guitar.

I am not so bothered about having the options on my Custom 24 as I bought that because it offered the Custom 24 options I am not so keen on single coil sounds - not on their own. My 509 is my Single Coil guitar and like I said, I can split the coils on my 594 too - although I tend to use it more as a double humbucker LP type guitar. As someone who prefers 'humbuckers', the option to have both on with my 509 instead of just the middle would be much more useful - although I would still like the option to use the middle on its own if I ever needed to. In my preference, I would have the middle selection having both humbuckers active as the default and pull up the pot to switch to the single coil as that would be used far less - as long as positions 2 and 4 still use the middle single as it does now.

I haven't played a 509 yet, but the concept really intrigues me, moreso than the 513. Even moreso with the idea of getting the outside pickups together to turn a 509 into a 513 of a different sort.

I also want to try the 24-08 especially to see how the split sounds stack up.

Back