Custom 22s still being made?

kselbee

The custom 22 is no longer on the website and I thought they weren't being produced right now, but see some new ones on Reverb. Incidentally, they have McCarty style switching which I really like. Are they re-introducing the 22 with that update? Anyone know what's going on or are these just 1 offs?

PRS drops models occasionally, especially when there is overlap.

PRS dropping the CU22 from the order sheet doesn't mean they don't have a backlog of orders already in play, so new ones will continue to be available for a while.

The SSH very much covers the essential territory of the CU22, so I suspect that is why the CU22 has been dropped - demand was diminished.

PRS dropping the CU22 from the order sheet doesn't mean they don't have a backlog of orders already in play, so new ones will continue to be available for a while.

The SSH very much covers the essential territory of the CU22, so I suspect that is why the CU22 has been dropped - demand was diminished.

That and the fact that the majority of models are 22fret double HB models - McCarty, 594 models, Hollowbodies, Pauls, DGT & Tremonti that also take away some of the demand for the Custom 22 as well...

Definitely agree with this. I can’t think of any reason to get a custom 22 over an SSH.

It surly is new CU22. Let me know if you find brand new Korina McCarty or P90 McCarty ;)

LOL I will. I'm honestly hoping that this is the design of the new CU22 as I really prefer the McCarty switching. Like I said, there are a few of these on Reverb so it has me wondering.

LOL I will. I'm honestly hoping that this is the design of the new CU22 as I really prefer the McCarty switching. Like I said, there are a few of these on Reverb so it has me wondering.

Same here. My CU24 and STD24 both have McCarty style control layout. Simple and effective.

The non 594 McCarty also sports traditional control layout and 25" scale which could also interest you

I don't see them often in the shops for whatever reason but they are out there... in the wild ;)

Other than that the 35th anniversary, best PRS I ever had or touched. They're still everywhere

Here's one example but there are a few. Hang tag shows made Oct 2021 Custom 22 and it's McCarty switching...

https://reverb.com/item/47162321-pr...ctric-guitar-quilt-10-top-angry-larry-0318156

It surly is new CU22. Let me know if you find brand new Korina McCarty or P90 McCarty ;)

More importantly--it appears that Angry Larry has returned!!! So cool.

Also, Simon, I do happen to know the whereabouts of both a Korina McCarty (an '07 model) and a McCarty Soapbar ('06). But I'm sorry to say I don't intend for anyone else to get their hands on them, though...

Here's one example but there are a few. Hang tag shows made Oct 2021 Custom 22 and it's McCarty switching...

https://reverb.com/item/47162321-pr...ctric-guitar-quilt-10-top-angry-larry-0318156

That does look like the McCarty switching on a Custom 22 but the description doesn't match as it states it has a 5-way blade switch...

Maybe they are about to reintroduce the Cu22 but with the McCarty switching -which isn't too different from the Cu24-08 -albeit without the mini-toggles to split the HB's...

That's what I'm wondering (and hoping).

Its interesting for sure. The guitar you have linked earlier is very recent. The tag on one of the pictures is stamped as made in October 2021.

The most recent Custom 22 incarnation was the 2020 model when TCI pickups and CAB finish was introduced and line terminated for 2021 catalogue

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/custom_22

It would be nice to see them back, especially (personal preference) as with stoptail bridge but I think they are just delayed dealer orders. So many times I have seen people NGD treads stating they have been waiting for months and in recent clip on PRS you tube the factory delays has also been mentioned

Back