Custom 22 vs McCarty

starscream67

Hi All,

I have a core Custom 22 (stoptail) which I love, except after owing many PRS, I wish it had the 3 way toggle not the 5 way blade.

I was wondering if the McCarty (2015 onwards) model is essentially the same as a Custom 22? Or does it have a thicker body or any other differences I'm not aware of?

If it's no thicker than the Custom 22 I may look for a way to trade up to the McCarty. If I could find one, the UK only seems to stock the 594 which isn't what I want. And I've only seen 2 normal McCartys for sale here since 2015.

It's my understanding that both are the same thickness. The CU22 used to be thinner, but I think it got beefed up to McCarty thickness when they reissued it in 2013.

So for 15-16, the McCarty was basically a stoptail CU22 with binding and the old school control layout. The other difference was you could get the CU22 with either Pattern or Pattern Thin, while McCarty was Pattern only. They both would normally have 58/15 pickups.

Starting with '17, they made the CU22 slightly more modern and changed to the 85/15 pickups, but dropped the Pattern Thin neck option.

Since you say you love your CU22, one option is to replace the five way with a three way blade and put a push/pull coil split on the tone control. That way you'd have the exact functionality of the McCarty.

Many thanks for the reply. Not bothered about the coil split but I'd never even thought about a 3 way blade as a compromise - would be cheaper than a whole new guitar. Shame it took many SE's, a CU22 and SC245 to figure out that the McCarty configuration is design genius.

Still going to keep my eye out for a 2015 onwards McCarty though. Pity UK dealers only seem to stock 10 tops or Wood Library versions - I could never justify those price tags. Maybe they could order me a normal one in a colour I want...

I'm not sure that the CU22 has the McCarty thickness; the PRS site still states that the McCarty has the thicker back, while it doesn't say anything about the 22.

Of course that doesn't mean it's not just an oversight, but I don't remember reading/hearing about any change in that spec. Perhaps Shawn will read this and set us straight.

I have a 2015 McCarty, and it's a great guitar, but have had quite a few CU22s, and they're super-nice, too. Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
McCarty is thicker, has binding, hardtail, 3 way toggle and push pull switching.

Yeah I think I was wrong on the depth. I measured my two guitars with a digital caliper at the rim by the lower bout strap button. Accounting for measuring error and variation due to sanding and finish, the 594 is a quarter inch thicker.

'16 Custom 22 - 1.35" (34.3 mm)
594 - 1.59" (40.4 mm)

Based on what I've read in reviews, the 594 isn't that much thicker than regular McCarty, so I bet it would fall directly in the middle.

i just got a 1995 Custom 22 with a Wide Thin Neck and Dragon Pickups
and it has the 3 way switch and the push pull on the Tone control like
on the McCarty and I don't like it at all. I love the guitar but the setup
has to go and it's being replaced with a 5 Way Rotary and a Sweet
Switch.

Starscream67 when I get the work done if you want the 3 way
and the other parts you can have them.

If we're talking about one volume & one tone, I'd stick with the 5 way. I'd have to figure out what combos I like the most & wire it up to give me those combos. For instance, I don't care to ever split the bridge humbucker, or use the tone knob.

So I'd take the tone out of the humbucker circuit & wire the 5 way so position 1 is the full bridge humbucker, position two would add the neck humbucker, three would be bridge plus neck single coil, position four just the neck single coil, & position 5 is neck humbucker. I'd use the push-pull on the tone control to add it to the neck pickup or take it out completely.

When I get around to it that's what I plan to do to my S2 Standard.

Last edited:
If we're talking about one volume & one tone, I'd stick with the 5 way. I'd have to figure out what combos I like the most & wire it up to give me those combos. For instance, I don't care to ever split the bridge humbucker, or use the tone knob.

So I'd take the tone out of the humbucker circuit & wire the 5 way so position 1 is the full bridge humbucker, position two would add the neck humbucker, three would be bridge plus neck single coil, position four just the neck single coil, & position 1 is neck humbucker. I'd use the push-pull on the tone control to add it to the neck pickup or take it out completely.

When I get around to it that's what I plan to do to my S2 Standard.

Those are the default settings I changed my CU22 to, except I still have master tone and my push/pull splits the bridge.

The person who owned the Custom 22 before me made the changes the guitar
came with a 5 way Rotary. I realize some people like the McCarty Switching and
that's fine. For me it's a waste of time and if I could do the work myself I would.
I do like the sound of the Pickups.

Apologies, I didn't get any emails that there were more replies here.

The replies so far have given me much food for thought though - so many thanks.

Since my original post I've trawled the interweb looking for a McCarty but I can only find 10 tops or Wood library, which are beyond my price range. I did find one regular McCarty but not in a colour I would buy.

However, I also have a 2016 SE Custom 22 - which has the stoptail and McCarty control layout (even the push/pull thanks to the factory mistake) - so I'm thinking about modding this with USA pickups and some John Mann locking tuners to get it closer to a McCarty. I'm in the UK though and the UK PRS accessory store is always a bit rubbish stock wise as I'd really like some uncovered squabobbins.

Back