Custom 22 Trem Saddle Adjustment

fstrat76

Hi,

I just purchased a brand new Custom 22 with a trem.

I do setups myself on all my guitars and as with all new guitars, I set them up as soon as I get them.

I set the Custom 22 up to spec as listed on the PRS site. Trem is 1/16" up, truss is adjusted nicely, intonation good, and action set to spec at 2/32.

The guitar plays great, however, I prefer the string height just a little lower.

In order to get the action to 2/32, I had to lower the high E first string saddle and it is now flush/flat on the bottom with nowhere to go.

How can I get it lower?

Reduce the relief or drop the trem on the mounting/pivot screws assuming the string height in nut is good and that's not the issue. I'd probably leave the trem screws alone to start with although they're pretty straightforward to adjust (there is a great John Mann video on YouTube). I've currently got both my PRS at 2/32" on the high E. Both will go lower but the terms are set lower than the current factory spec of 1/16" up. That said I'd put money on it that the earlier guitars have slightly shallower neck angles than currently used (my two are not new) and that they left the factory as currently set. (A shallower neck angle needs a lower trem height setting). Both my guitars are adjusted to around 0.007" relief using a notched straight edge and a set of feeler gauges. Hope that's some help.

Last edited:
Reduce the relief or drop the trem on the mounting/pivot screws. I'd probably leave the trem screws alone to start with although they're pretty straightforward to adjust (there is a great John Mann video on YouTube). I've currently got both my PRS at 2/32" on the high E. Both will go lower but the terms are set lower than the current factory spec of 1/16" up. That said I'd put money on it that the earlier guitars have slightly shallower neck angles than currently used (my two are not new) and that they left the factory as currently set. (A shallower neck angle needs a lower trem height setting). Both my guitars are adjusted to around 0.007" relief using a notched straight edge and a set of feeler gauges. Hope that's some help.

I'll qualify that by saying I wouldn't go anywhere near the pivot screws on a new guitar (or any other) if you're not 100% happy you know what you're doing. Pay someone you trust to do a good job if in any doubt. I've seen enough older PRS with chewed-up trem screws to last a lifetime so don't do anything unless you're 100% sure. I'd also say while my guitars will go quite a bit lower than 2/32" on the high E I've tried that and ended up putting them back to factory as I think it plays cleaner and sounds better overall. Good luck!

Loosen the strings and lower the trem a bit easy job it moves fast so a small adjustment will do it for you

Its certainly acceptable at 2/32, but I would like that little extra if I can get it.

My relief is at .010 spec (which is a higher than my other guitars which are anywhere between 005-008). I will try this first as its an easy adjustment but I don't think it will affect much at the 12th fret.

Its worth a shot - plus I will check out that video.

Thanks.

Back