Custom 22 pickup suggestions?

Funk McNasty

In the pocket
Hello ladies and gents!

It’s my first day here on this forum, so I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m also the proud new-ish owner of a brand new Custom 22 SE in Vintage Sunburst! I have all single coils and needed to get my twin ‘bucker on, and so far I’m very happy with my decision to go with the C22 SE.

I love the way the neck and action feels and love that the non-locking tremolo stays in tune near perfectly with plenty of abuse. Obviously it’s a beautiful looking axe too! My one thing: not a huge fan of the 85/15-S pickups. I think the neck positions sound great and the neck coil spit sounds good, but overall I feel they are a bit lacking in that spongy mid-range that I like in humbuckers.

What do you guys like in your Custom 22’s? I was thinking maybe a set of Seth Lovers or Duncan Pearly Gates?

I play funk, soul, and 70% I’m clean, 20% overdriven, and then about 10% of the time I’m full on brown-sound or Fuzz to the max... so something that sounds good for all of those moments haha!

p.s. would post an NGD photo of my new PRS, but I’m not sure how to upload a pic from my iPhone.. keeps asking me for a url.

thanks!

I love, love love, my Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays in my SE custom 24 they sound very sweet for jazz and blues on the clean channel.

Oh! Forgot about Bare Knuckle’s! I actually have a set of their Mother’s Milk single coils in one of my Strat’s and they are top notch. I bet the Hukbuckers are equally as nice sounding.

great suggestion—will add to the list! Thanks!

I have 2 custom 22s one with dragon 2 and the other with Suhr thorn buckers. I like both sets of pickups not sure which ones I like better yet. I haven't played the thorn buckers enough yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Lots to consider here. I’m not familiar with the Dragons that keep getting mentioned, so I’ll do my research on those too.

my Custom 22 became my number one after getting a set of bkp abraxas last year.

Mules are also fantastic for the cleaner stuff (have them in my HB).

You can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.

Back