Custom 22: My Affair, Farewell, And Rejoice | Part I

Roberto Sosa

Very recently I had to say good bye to my dear Custom 22. She had served me well for almost a decade. So I wanted to share a bit of history with you guys.

My very first electric guitar was a reasonably priced stat, which later felt victim of a trade with a LP-like replica. Those years were filled with alternative, grunge, punk, and then some progressive metal in between. Later on, my dream guitar was envisioned as a 24 fretted axe --but sadly never had the chance to own that Jackson Soloist... one of those that got away.

The truth is that my infatuation with PRS started as a silent killer. During my not so novice years, I realized that what I was missing was a real quality instrument (and set up right for God's sake!), one that would inspire me thru my next phase. I had seen a magazine add featuring a McCarty model in the late 90's, and I knew that PRS was a very well appointed brand. And with with artist like Gustavo Cerati, Ross Childress and Clint Lowery (three different genres for sure) I knew that there was a diversity of tone potential, rooted to that lovely Custom body shape.

So as a new member, I wanted to say a farewell to the one that brought me here in the first place, my beloved dark cherry pie. Hopefully, her replacement will be here later this week. Stay tuned for a NGD Custom 24 follow up!

f8rW1MZ.jpg

SfUhIW2.jpg

zMzC1yn.jpg
5hWQXD7.jpg

ZnSjvO3.jpg

w6hs6d7.jpg
pLqzXro.jpg

Love my Custom 22, as I ahve said over and over and over. Your is pretty sweet looking. Why'd you have to get rid of her? Was it to afford the CU24?

Nice lookin' guitar there, are those Graphtech saddles? Congrats on the new guitar. I'm sure the CU24 will be everything this one was.

Looking forward to seeing that CU24 NGD...and hoping you "dark cherry pie" finds (or has already found) a good loving home.

Nice story. Reminds me of my former CU24. My first PRS and did wonders for me. After about 12 years it was time to move it on, but I still have two PRS left. :top:

And we might have to stage an intervention about those string wraps on the Phase II's. :p

Ditto, my new 408 has zero wraps with the lockers.

Well, yeah - if you don't mind cutting the strings. But that really cuts down on their resale value when you mod them like that.

Love my Custom 22, as I ahve said over and over and over. Your is pretty sweet looking. Why'd you have to get rid of her? Was it to afford the CU24?

Well, although we all feel like we can't have enough guitars, my collection of instruments got pretty decent --and then school screw me over with my Financial Aid refund! I take responsibility for budgeting, but it was one of the factors. I talked it over with the wifey, and we discussed the monies. The idea was that my dad was ought to keep it --but like alantig mentioned, he preferred it with the original Dragon IIs, which are not technically lost (I just can't find them). I also tend to sweat too much, and in the first few years, I tore up those saddles, so I ended up going the Graphtech route. Long story short, I sold my Les Paul, along with my Dean Acoustic to raise some liquid funds.

To me the LP's body shape was more like a wall trophy, with an aggressive bite --but it never felt like my Custom 22... not even close. I bought it from my old roommate, which worked at GC at the time. He really had picked up a gem from the stock, the problem was that my dream neck, and his perfect view of the proper profile, were total opposites. This Classic was a 1960's re-issue with the slimmer neck profile, and we just didn't bond like I expected. Letting go of the Gibson was not as hard at the beginning, because it was staying in the family; and to be honest, once you start looking at it up close, you start noticing these little imperfections that just drove me insane.

So here is the punch line, if I was to buy 'another' PRS, I really wanted to get something that although part of the core line, was quite unique --without having to go Private Stock. I didn't want to just get a good deal because some big store pilled up a bunch of mainstream combinations neither. I wrote down a spreadsheet, and analyzed what I like and didn't like from my Custom 22. Then I found something really striking throughout my online search... but the final price was still a bit far off from my initial estimates.

After a week of migraines, flat tears, and confusion... she had to go along as well. And in retrospect, this was probably one of the worst re-strings ever! What was I thinking?

But to try to make it up to you guys, here is a clip of me, not rehearsed whatsoever... just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yeah - if you don't mind cutting the strings. But that really cuts down on their resale value when you mod them like that.
What mod?
I have the stock Phase III tuners on my 408.
Clip the strings close, I thought the purpose of lockers was to get rid of wraps around the peg which cause slippage/detuning.

What mod?
I have the stock Phase III tuners on my 408.
Clip the strings close, I thought the purpose of lockers was to get rid of wraps around the peg which cause slippage/detuning.

:rofl: I read that as the resale value of the strings. Apparently Alan knows of some used whole string market.

For some reason I'm picturing the kid in Dumb & Dumber buying the headless parakeet. :dontknow:

I like that you called it your affair with the guitar.

I have had a lot of guitars, and haven't hung onto many.

Evidently, I am Casanova when it comes to guitars.

Back