Curious about the SE 20?

mountain2012

Can any who have played this describe the sound of this amp? Is it more British or American toned?

How about the gain? Do you describe it as tight or loose?

Any other characteristics to the general tone such as it being mid rangey or scooped?

thanks!

I have played one briefly. Not sure whether to classify Brit or American tone. I think of most 6V6 amps as an American tones and associate EL-84s as Brit. I found the gain to be kinda squishy and more loose sounding. I thought it was pretty balance EQ wise, not scooped or midrangey. Since the gain was looser sounding, I switched back to the SE 50 and liked that more. I'm more of an aggressive hard rock type player most of the time so I like high gain a little tighter than what the 20 was.

I found the gain to be kinda squishy and more loose sounding. I thought it was pretty balance EQ wise, not scooped or midrangey. Since the gain was looser sounding, I switched back to the SE 50 and liked that more. I'm more of an aggressive hard rock type player most of the time so I like high gain a little tighter than what the 20 was.

+1. I'm not quite that heavy of a player, but still found the second channel a little loose. The cleans were nice--like Mike said, pretty well balanced in the EQ. I seem to remember the clean channel taking pedals well.

I really like low wattage amps (I love the Sweet 16), but I think I'd check out the 30 and 50, too. If you can stretch a bit, the Sweet 16, Sweet 16+ (possibly my next amp), and the Two Channel amps are worth saving up the dough.

I have played one briefly. Not sure whether to classify Brit or American tone. I think of most 6V6 amps as an American tones and associate EL-84s as Brit. I found the gain to be kinda squishy and more loose sounding. I thought it was pretty balance EQ wise, not scooped or midrangey. Since the gain was looser sounding, I switched back to the SE 50 and liked that more. I'm more of an aggressive hard rock type player most of the time so I like high gain a little tighter than what the 20 was.

I own the SE 30, which I think is very similar to the 20, and I agree. Clean tones on the whole range are fantastic. For drive sounds, whether on the rhythm or lead channel, the sound has the most punch and presence when the mids are turned up past 1/2, and the character is similar to a more modern Marshall sound, if i had to compare it to a Marshall. It has its own twist though. Gain structure is looser than a recto, etc., but still sounds good, and really tightens if you hit it with a boost or OD pedal out front.

They're not amps for scooped tones, unless you want to use pedals. They'll do anything else though. I sold an Egnater Tweaker 40 because my SE30 blew it away in a side by side comparison. But beware, they aren't for bedroom jamming, you really have to turn the master up to get the goods from them.

Back