Curious about some older pickups--Treble/Bass and Dragon

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
I've been considering my options lately for some older PRSi, particularly the early Customs with Treble & Bass pickups, as well as early Custom 22's with the original uncovered Dragon pickups. Never played one of these though (of course not, they're not easy to come across!), and I'm wondering if I might love or not-love the pickups.

Granted I can google the specs on these older ones (such as what kind of magnets were used, and the k-Ohm resistance, etc.); but I'm really wondering about the actual character of the sound--whether they're "vintage" vs. "modern" in tonality, compressed or very punchy & forward, bright or dark, etc.

For instance: Are the old Treble & Bass somewhat forbearers of the 85/15 (bright, articulate, powerful)? Are the original Dragons the beginnings of the more vintage-targeted McCarty thing (fatter, warmer, less articulate, PAF's)? That's the kind of thing I'm wondering about. Could or would you describe either of these older pickups by likening/comparing them to some of the more recent pickups (5x/xx and afterward) with which I'm more familiar?

I love the Dragon 1 neck, probably my all time favorite PRS neck pickup. Rumor has it it’s an uncovered McCarty.
Looking at all the specs that have been put out there, that seems very likely the case--my suspicion is that the bass model Dragon, Dragon II, and McCarty pickups are essentially the same, initially uncovered but then covered on the later iterations.

I have had very polarizing experiences with D2 pickups. I liked them in my old Standard 24, and absolutely hated them in my Standard 22.

Looking at all the specs that have been put out there, that seems very likely the case--my suspicion is that the bass model Dragon, Dragon II, and McCarty pickups are essentially the same, initially uncovered but then covered on the later iterations.
Yeah, a bunch of the pickups have differences similar to that of a taco vs a tostada.

I had a '95 maple top CE-22 that had Dragon I pickups. I really liked the bridge, but the neck was muddy and way too quiet compared to the bridge. I ended up putting a Duncan JB in the neck position and oddly enough, it sounded great and balanced very well volume-wise with the Dragon I in the bridge position. My vote is for the Dragon I, bridge anyway.

I had a old McRosie with DI pups and they were the loudest and most aggressive PRS pickups I have played. Full, and thick distortion from the bridge pickup, and a fat clean and lead tone from the neck pickup. The bridge didn't clean up well because it was so hot. They were not vintage sounding, just great though if you play harder rock and metal.

Back