Cu24 - Thinking about replacing the 85/15s with HFS/VB

I like the 85/15s, but I'm finding the bridge lacks midrange. I switch to the bridge and there's just not enough "oomph" in the mids.

Thinking the HFS might get me to where I want to go. Thoughts?

That's a move I would not make. That is only my opinion. HFS is cheap enough to buy used so you won't be out much if it's not what you're after.

I know what you mean SD. I don't have 85/15's on my 24's, but comparing HFS to either 57/08's or 59/09's (through my Mesa's in particular), I prefer HFS uncovered by a wide margin. Just something about that combination that works well through my rigs, and complements the DNA of the Mesa's better than the others IMO. Still articulate, but the grunt factor is where I want it to be for classic rock playing. And the 5 way rotary switch single coil tones in VB/HFS are stellar

Through my Carol Anns, I generally prefer 59's .. for the same reasons

Worth a try without question

I like the 85/15s, but I'm finding the bridge lacks midrange. I switch to the bridge and there's just not enough "oomph" in the mids.

Thinking the HFS might get me to where I want to go. Thoughts?
Im glad to hear more people that think like me - the 85/15 sound good but lack of midrange. i bought a 2016 custom 24 with them and feel not happy.. they very dry and thin - but because people cant buy them seperatly, their value is pretty high and because of that its a hard decision to replace them (at least for me). i think i will sell my guitar and buy another guitar that will fit me, insteaf of replacing them.

That's a move I would not make. That is only my opinion. HFS is cheap enough to buy used so you won't be out much if it's not what you're after.

I may be in the market for a set of squabbins...

I know what you mean SD. I don't have 85/15's on my 24's, but comparing HFS to either 57/08's or 59/09's (through my Mesa's in particular), I prefer HFS uncovered by a wide margin. Just something about that combination that works well through my rigs, and complements the DNA of the Mesa's better than the others IMO. Still articulate, but the grunt factor is where I want it to be for classic rock playing. And the 5 way rotary switch single coil tones in VB/HFS are stellar

Through my Carol Anns, I generally prefer 59's .. for the same reasons

Worth a try without question

Yeah, this is with Mesa's. Been using PAFs for a long time now (did the conversion around 2005) with the goal of making the amp do more of the heavy lifting. It works great to an extent, but I'm a little tired of the mushy bottom, scooped mids and biting highs.

Over the last year or two I've experimented with a few high output guitars and was pleasantly surprised at how much better they sounded once I adjusted for them. I'd kind of adopted the internet's bias that anything high output would sound terrible, and it just isn't so. It reminds me that Mesa used to recommend against low output pickups in their manuals and that one of the guitars used for design/testing is an Anderson with an H3 ceramic in the bridge.

I do plan on keeping my McCarty stock with the 58/15s. It sounds amazing as is and is my go-to guitar for that kind of sound. The Custom 24 with 85/15s also sounds amazing, I just don't need multiple guitars doing more or less the same thing. The McCarty does old school in spades, I want the Custom 24 to be more modern.

Im glad to hear more people that think like me - the 85/15 sound good but lack of midrange. i bought a 2016 custom 24 with them and feel not happy.. they very dry and thin - but because people cant buy them seperatly, their value is pretty high and because of that its a hard decision to replace them (at least for me). i think i will sell my guitar and buy another guitar that will fit me, insteaf of replacing them.

It'll probably be cheaper to swap pickups than it will be to sell the guitar and buy another, and the stock pickups can always be reinstalled if you decide to sell.

Back