CU24 Nut Replacement

Muziqman

Last December I picked up a '94 Custom 24 Stoptail in Whale Blue that I love, but I'm continuing to have tuning issues. I've tried different nut lubrications but the issues persists. I tried doing a search of the forum but most nut replacements are done are SE models and not Core guitars. I'm looking to get a Black Tusq XL nut but looking on their website there are 50 different nuts. Any help with which one I should get specifically would be very helpful. Because I've never replaced a nut before and don't want to damage my guitar I'll be having a local tech install it for me.

I recommend having your tech custom make a bone nut for you. That or I'd also highly recommend buying a new core PRS nut. They've improved the formula over the years. Part number is ACC-4204, available from dealers.

That said, it could just be that your old one needs some care. Before replacing, have your tech see if a little filing is needed. Could just be that grooves have formed over the decades.

I recommend having your tech custom make a bone nut for you. That or I'd also highly recommend buying a new core PRS nut. They've improved the formula over the years. Part number is ACC-4204, available from dealers.

That said, it could just be that your old one needs some care. Before replacing, have your tech see if a little filing is needed. Could just be that grooves have formed over the decades.

This was a total case queen with the original strings from the factory still on it.. and rusty. (rusty frets, bridge, strings etc.) The dude bought it as an investment, played it 3 times and stuck it in a closet for 26 year. I think its very likely that grooves have formed in the nut. I know technology has come a long way and I'd like to replace the old nut. Do you feel there's a big difference between a new nut I'd get from PRS and a new Tusq XL nut ?

This was a total case queen with the original strings from the factory still on it.. and rusty. (rusty frets, bridge, strings etc.) The dude bought it as an investment, played it 3 times and stuck it in a closet for 26 year. I think its very likely that grooves have formed in the nut. I know technology has come a long way and I'd like to replace the old nut. Do you feel there's a big difference between a new nut I'd get from PRS and a new Tusq XL nut ?

Eh, probably not, other than the PRS will be a sure thing direct fit and will keep a more exact look.

I'm with you on confusion about which Graphtech to use. Tusq is great, I've used it on F style guitars, but don't know if they have a perfect fit for PRS.

Eh, probably not, other than the PRS will be a sure thing direct fit and will keep a more exact look.

I'm with you on confusion about which Graphtech to use. Tusq is great, I've used it on F style guitars, but don't know if they have a perfect fit for PRS.

I'm up in the Great White North ( Canada ) so legit PRS parts are expensive and shipping takes forever, so I'm leaning towards a Tusq nut I can get from Amazon much easier.

Also have your trem claw looked at. I have an 03 CE 24 that wouldn’t stay in tune for 4 years after I got it. Turns out the trem claw was drilled wrong. Had it fixed, and it stays in tune now. I wouldn’t give up on the guitar because PRSi stay in tune. Besides, it’s Bavaria Blueburst wrap.

Also have your trem claw looked at. I have an 03 CE 24 that wouldn’t stay in tune for 4 years after I got it. Turns out the trem claw was drilled wrong. Had it fixed, and it stays in tune now. I wouldn’t give up on the guitar because PRSi stay in tune. Besides, it’s Bavaria Blueburst wrap.

I'm dealing with a Stoptail, not a trem.

To me it sounds the problem can be the tuners or the bridge.Does the guitar intonate correctly?Does the bridge tilt forward?Have you put on the strings correctly?What string gauge are you using?PRS nut works very good for 008-010 sets.

Go for the original PRS part. It's a direct drop in. That's the easiest swap if your not used to do this. On the other hand I think its strange that you have tuning issues with a stoptail, locking tuners and a prs nut.. :confused:

Tuning stability with a CU24 - right up my alley!

I am a CU24 guy and here is what I do to make tuning better, not perfect. Its not a Floyd so there are trade offs.

- good strings
- everything is clean
- Big Bends nut sauce in the grooves of the nut
- good set up
- before you play stretch each string numerous times with big two hand bends at the 12th
- tune up to pitch only
- play and retune play and retune

Back