CU24 lacking character?

Perry

I have a 2002 Custom 24, which physically, plays very well and yet lately, I feel lacks character. It has the standard HFS/VB PUs but I swapped out the 5-way switch for the PRS kit 3-way toggle and coil tap via the tone control. As with all my guitars it is strung with 10-46 gauge strings and with a standard action and neck relief.

Sound-wise, the HFS is strong but rather bland, lacking in both harmonics or 'bloom'. The VB I feel lacks all character to the point where I now rarely use it - coil tapped or otherwise. By comparison, my PRS 513, Ibanez 1550 (with Dimarzio Evolutions) and Gibson Les Paul (with Classic 57s) each sound very distinctive, in a very good way.

I am well versed in setting up guitars and I have experimented with the PU pole and body heights, but with little success. Has anyone else found this with these PUs?

I did like them in my CU24 to get the best from them you need to use the Vol and Tone knob :) , I have also played the VB/HFS combo with the Switch and push pull and have not liked it as well as the Rotary.
I would look at a set of 57/08 or 59/09s or the Suhr Aldridge

... It has the standard HFS/VB PUs but I swapped out the 5-way switch for the PRS kit 3-way toggle and coil tap via the tone control. ...QUOTE]

There's your trouble.

I never go along with the HFS/VB pups. I just don't gel with ceramic pickups. That could be your problem :)

... I swapped out the 5-way switch for the PRS kit 3-way toggle and coil tap via the tone control...
I have a friend who it still has the 5-way switch, and it wasn't hurtin' for character.

What amp are you using? Make sure you are using a tube amp. I'm fond of Vox's wide open sound, and PRS' of course.

Try toying with the pickup height (a little at a time goes a long way).

I have a 2002 Custom 24, which physically, plays very well and yet lately, I feel lacks character. It has the standard HFS/VB PUs but I swapped out the 5-way switch for the PRS kit 3-way toggle and coil tap via the tone control. As with all my guitars it is strung with 10-46 gauge strings and with a standard action and neck relief.

Sound-wise, the HFS is strong but rather bland, lacking in both harmonics or 'bloom'. The VB I feel lacks all character to the point where I now rarely use it - coil tapped or otherwise. By comparison, my PRS 513, Ibanez 1550 (with Dimarzio Evolutions) and Gibson Les Paul (with Classic 57s) each sound very distinctive, in a very good way.

I am well versed in setting up guitars and I have experimented with the PU pole and body heights, but with little success. Has anyone else found this with these PUs?
Brother! You aren't alone in your plight. I've been down this very road and feel I'm still on the path of discovery. I'll share a few of my thoughts:

> consider the entire rig - amp+speaker cab(s), pedals, guitar - when shopping for pickups. Video demos alone will only guide you in a general direction.
> low output pickups worked well with this guitar, for me. But it leans toward a huge mid hump that I continue to attempt to neutralize.
> PRS makes fantastic pickups, but they aren't the only ones. Experiment with pups that other guitarists use in similarly constructed guitars to yield results you like. Artist endorsed pups helped me zoom-in on a certain list of specs.
> don't be afraid to change string gauges. Until, 3 days ago, I had 11s on mine for 3 years straight and they sound amazing. It took the guitar in a completely different direction for me. The nut worked fine, as is, but the trem needed a 5th spring.

Right now, I have a 59/09 in the bridge and it sounds really good. Am I inspired? Hmm, that's too strong of a term...more like, currently content. It meshes well with the stock VB, which is a great pickup, imo. My next direction will probably be a Duncan '79, from their custom shop, which is their EVH offering. After hearing it in a Knaggs Kanai, I'm optimistic.

Don't feel like you're being sacrilegious by changing up PRS' iconic model. Make it your own.

Since PRS themselves have changed up the pups in the CU24 over the years, you should probably start there. Depending on what you want, you might find any of their current offerings applicable, or maybe not, and there are lots of other pup makers out there.

My CU24 had the VB/HFS combo. Seemed to me that it wasn't quite the PRS sound that I remembered from trying out the guitars years before (when I couldn't swing one). I grabbed a pair of the vintage T&B reissues - and there it was, especially the 2 & 4 sounds (5-way rotary switch). It added a bit of character that I didn't seem to find in the VB/HFS. So don't be afraid to change things up.

I have uncovered 57/08s in my CU24 (My avatar pic) and it rocks my socks off. In fact, they sound way better then my covered 57/08 and covered 59/09s. I have considered replacing all my covered pickups with uncovered ones because I think they sound so much better even though I like the brushed cover look.

I have a pair of uncovered \m/ 's that I am considering putting into my 594.

I did like them in my CU24 to get the best from them you need to use the Vol and Tone knob :) , I have also played the VB/HFS combo with the Switch and push pull and have not liked it as well as the Rotary.
I would look at a set of 57/08 or 59/09s or the Suhr Aldridge

5909s are fabulous pickups and I recommend them. They sound great and are reasonable to buy used. I would also recommend 5708s and 5310s but they will cost you much more and not readily available.
I never cared for HFS accept when used in D tuning or lower. That's where they come alive.

Good luck.

I have uncovered 57/08s in my CU24 (My avatar pic) and it rocks my socks off. In fact, they sound way better then my covered 57/08 and covered 59/09s. I have considered replacing all my covered pickups with uncovered ones because I think they sound so much better even though I like the brushed cover look.

I have a pair of uncovered \m/ 's that I am considering putting into my 594.
Dibs on your pickups!!!

I have a 30th Anniversary CU24, as well as some other fine PRSes, and I absolutely love it; it's equipped with the 85/15s. I think they're superb pickups.

I will add that I was never a huge fan of the HFS/VB pickups in my earlier CU24s, and swapped them out.

I have a CE24 that had the same problem. I find ceramic pickups to be harsh in many tone settings. I went with 57/08`s, instant gratification. That bad boy rules.

I have a CE24 that had the same problem. I find ceramic pickups to be harsh in many tone settings. I went with 57/08`s, instant gratification. That bad boy rules.

Fwiw. I also put 5708s in my ce24 which happens to be my avatar. It is a very fine instrument.

Back