CU24 5-way placement: bad ergonomy?

Rachmaninoff

This happens on the models with the tremolo. Basically, the tremolo arm stays hanging over the 5-way blade switch, slowing down every position switching.

Is it just me, or it was really a bad choice for the 5-way placement? :eek:

I only ever have a problem if I have the tremolo arm running almost parallel with the strings. Otherwise, I push the arm back out of the way.

I like the blade over the rotary switch but I just don't know where else you could put a 5 way blade without it looking stupid.

Isn't this how strats are?

The one feature that I don't care for on my S2. For me, the 3-way toggle was pure perfection. Easy to mindlessly reach back and give it a whack to change pickups. I'm sure they had a reason, but until I know what it was, I'm going to wonder why they didn't see the flaw in the blade with trem guitars.

This horse has already been beaten to death several times in past threads. Some folks (like me) like the switch and the placement, and some don't.

I prefer PRS' approach over the placement on a Strat, where it sits right under the arm when you're doing business with the trem. And I was never a fan of the rotary. The weakness of the toggle is the push-pull tone knob that's difficult to grasp when playing, especially with the lampshade knob, and that's what I have on my 30th CU24.

Point is, there's no switch, or placement, that is going to satisfy everyone. One person's great ergonomics is the next person's ergonomic nightmare.

They'd need to make a guitar with a customizable touch screen covering the entire body to please everyone re: switch placement. Which, of course, people would b^tch about because it wouldn't be real wood.

Last edited:
Isn't this how strats are?

No... Leo's placement (the perfect placement IMO) is pretty much this switch on the 513:

iP3yOCu.png

The one feature that I don't care for on my S2. For me, the 3-way toggle was pure perfection. Easy to mindlessly reach back and give it a whack to change pickups. I'm sure they had a reason, but until I know what it was, I'm going to wonder why they didn't see the flaw in the blade with trem guitars.

I honestly believe it was an aesthetic compromise that PRS is cool with. I feel it's a branding thing.

This horse has already been beaten to death several times in past threads.

From the dude with a modeler bashing rant posted earlier this week. :cheers:

No... Leo's placement (the perfect placement IMO) is pretty much this switch on the 513:

iP3yOCu.png

Yeah.. I really wish they'd do this. The 305 and "P" models both have it, it's familiar feeling, and not in the way of the arm.

Last edited:

iP3yOCu.png

A perfect guitar requires a perfect switch position. :D

The rotary has been out of the way in its origin position, but it was an inergonomic position. Switching to another PU-Position ist like: If you know where you are you could walk easily anywhere. If you don´t know where you are you could be everywhere.

A blade switch is a very comfortable solution indeed.

The classical toggle switch position is fine aswell.

I made the mistake in deciding - regarding the layout of my Duesenberg/Rockinger guitar - that putting the toggle switch on the lower part on the guitar near to the neck pickup.
Sure you are reaching the toggle very easy, but it remains in the direction line of my strumming position. So accidentally you could switch around...

no problem here, but I rarely use the tremolo
the musicman jpx blade, that's one hell of an uncomfy position. just try the guitar by yourselves... you will hit the switch almost everytime when the neck pup is selected.

I'm very comfortable with the 5 way blade n my 513
only when the trem arm is parallel to the strings the switching is a bit slower.

iP3yOCu.png

Yeah.. I really wish they'd do this. The 305 and "P" models both have it, it's familiar feeling, and not in the way of the arm.

Since the P22/P24 is a CU22/24 with a piezo, I am surprised more P24s aren't sold - the price differential is not huge when considering the base price of a CU22/24. I know the P24 is a relatively new model, but the addition of the piezo could have easily cannibalized a large chunk of the CU24 market, yet it seems it didn't - almost like most of the folks who buy CU24s will keep doing so because they see the piezo as a useless add on.

Anyway, I hope to have a report sooner or later on what it is like to use a P24 - that is the current target of my GAS. Although I don't have a CU24 with the blade switch to compare, just the old 5-position rotary...

EDIT: Ah, but I do have a SAS with 5-way blade switch in the current CU22/24 configuration. Whew! Crisis averted, I almost had to buy a modern CU24 just to compare...

:D

Last edited:
Since the P22/P24 is a CU22/24 with a piezo, I am surprised more P24s aren't sold - the price differential is not huge when considering the base price of a CU22/24. I know the P24 is a relatively new model, but the addition of the piezo could have easily cannibalized a large chunk of the CU24 market, yet it seems it didn't - almost like most of the folks who buy CU24s will keep doing so because they see the piezo as a useless add on.

Normally I'd agree with the uselessness idea, but in this case it's inclusion actually aids easier pickup selection... So there's that.

"... almost like most of the folks who buy CU24s will keep doing so because they see the piezo as a useless add on."
^^That's me right there.^^ I never had a problem with the trem arm but don't use it that much anyway.

Ahh I see. But I do agree with one of the commenters here that where the switch blade can get in the way of strumming on a strat. I have actually had two strats (sad I couldn't realize the difference in switch placement lol) and I have had this problem.

I don't know if the current placement on the new Custom 24s is the best but at least it's better than the rotary switch haha. Making progress.

Blade is much better than a rotary switch.
I have no problems! My trem arm is left loose so after use it swings back down.

I have all three switching options on my PRSi and the 3 way switch is the only one I have to think about when using ( along with the coil tap on the tone knob ) like them all ;)
rotary has the best range of sounds
blade is just easy
toggle is prob best looking setup
to be honest I like the earlier Santana knob and switch layout when using a toggle.

Back