Cu22 semi-hollow LTD vs Special 22 semi hollow

Tag

Hey guys, hope all is well with everyone!

Looks like it's time for a new PRS!
A question though. I have an old Cu 22 semi hollow LTD I bought from Brent Moss at the guitar shop years ago. It's one of the finest instruments I have ever owned, and the tones are off the hook! So I am interested in a Special 22 now. My question is since I do not need the middle pup, do these guitars sound basically like my old one? I was hoping they may sound even a bit more hollow because of the routing for the middle pup, and of course the new pups will be different than my 57/08s which I love!
I think I am going to stick with a mahogany neck brazzy board, but there is one I like with a "Ziricote" board as well. Does that sound similar to Rosewood?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

I don’t have a CU22 LTD SH but I do have a couple PRS with 57/08s; a 25th Anniversary Custom 24 and a Hollowbody II Single Cut. Generally, the 58/15MTs in my Exp2018 Special 22 Semi-Hollow sound quite different to my ears; warmer, breathier and with a distinctly fuller tapped tone. Tapping the neck pickup in the Special 22 SH and selecting position 4 gives me a delicious Straty 5-4 in-between tone that makes me grin every time. I played the CU24 in a couple different cover bands for hundreds of gigs over the years and the tapped tones on the five way rotary served me very well indeed, but the Special 22 SH takes it to another level. I’m also loving the 58/15 in the neck as much or more than the 57/08 neck in my Hollowbody II (which I do adore, btw). Honestly if I was forced to keep “just one”, the Special 22 SH would be it; it’s just a wonderfully toneful and flexible instrument.

Reactions: Tag
Back