CU 25th Gtr ringing noises

micgeo

I've had my CU25 guitar for a number of years...6-7. Recently, I've experienced ringing that seems to be coming from the pick-up covers. I've set-up my guitar a few times since owning it and never had this problem.
It also seems to have a trailing echo when I'm descending on a scale. For example, when I descend on string 4, 12 down to 9, notes D-C-B, I hear a sound that is louder and tin-like... almost as if I'm shaking a really thin metal plate. When I hit the string, it sounds like it's coming from the gold plates... is that possible? It happens in different areas as well, but mostly from 9th fret and below. The 4th string 21st fret rings louder and longer.
Please share your thoughts on how I can resolve the issue.

Regards,
Mike

What are your pickup heights set to?

I had an issue with a single coil guitar, when I changed pickups on it. It turned out that the magnetic field was causing the strings to oscillate in an odd way, making a weird sound. I lowered the pickups, especially on the bass side and the noise subsided.

What are your pickup heights set to?

I had an issue with a single coil guitar, when I changed pickups on it. It turned out that the magnetic field was causing the strings to oscillate in an odd way, making a weird sound. I lowered the pickups, especially on the bass side and the noise subsided.

^^^This^^^

Thank you for the quick response. My pickup heights are set to the 3/32 on bass side and 5/64 on treble.

After verifying the heights, I tweaked the bass side to 4/32. The sound in the link was made after I had changed the bass side.

Yes that sounds like the issue I was experiencing with mine. It might not meet factory spec, but try lowering the pickups incrementally to see if the sound goes away.

Have you made any changes to the guitar, strings, pickups etc.?

Thank you for providing more insight. Yes, I recently changed my strings. I was using 10-52 and, after they were worn out, changed my strings to 9.5 - 44.
I had to make an adjustment of tremolo because the side closest to the bottom of the guitar was almost touching the guitar. I kept at spec, but the change did not correct the problem.

Sounds like you need to adjust your action ( most likely the truss rod ) Going from 10-52 to 9.5-44s is a pretty big change.
Betting if you check your relief it is setting on the neck.
I would do a full set up if you what your guitar to play its best ( IMHO ) and its possible that your nut slots could be too low also if they were cut for the bigger strings.

Yeah it could be number of things. I’d also suggest setting it up again. I had a Strat years ago and the tremolo springs were over-stretchd and actually caused a ringing

Thank you to everyone who responded. I didn't realize that 9.5 - 44 was such a big change. This week I plan to do a full set-up as suggested. I'll post back with the results.

Back