CR's Pickup Shootout w/ my DGT Standard

IMG_2924.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg
IMG_2928.jpg

I got thru 4 sets last night. Had some sound issues I had to take care of before starting. I had to make sure everything is exactly the same during the recording process.
So I have a question. When I start editing, how would you guys like to see this project? By that I mean, the order. I am shooting 2 clean parts, 2 crunchy parts & a little solo stuff per pickup. If the pup is tappable I do all of those parts mentioned before again per pup.
Also, I could put the pups in groups: vintage, modern, pup maker, ect.
I'm pretty sure this will take at least 2 YouTube videos. I can only do them in 15 minute videos. I could do a whole video of just PRS pups or DSG pups or do comparisons of all the different make pups in the catagories (Vintage/PAF) for example.
Any input will be helpful.
I also got another box of pups in today.....PRS Santana, Artist, 57/08, and some DGS models......this is going to be a long week. Plus NAMM is here this week. Gotta make time to go there too!!

Hey Chris it would probably be cool if you used one pickup as a standard pickup to compare everything to at the beginning of each clip. Maybe the 57/08s. Demo the 57/08s first for each setting and include that in each of the videos. That way we can compare tones between pickups in the different videos relative to the 57/08s (e.g. brighter or darker than the 57/08s). Those would work well since you can tap them and many of us have played through them or heard lots of other demos. Sorry for being so analytical about it, I'm a science nerd in real life so I'm all about experimental design. Thanks for doing this. Really looking forward to the results.

As slev says,start with a pickup as a standard to compare the rest to.In my opinion that should be the original DGT pickups.Then also important you play the same riff with every pickup and use the same settings on your amp.

As slev says,start with a pickup as a standard to compare the rest to.In my opinion that should be the original DGT pickups.Then also important you play the same riff with every pickup and use the same settings on your amp.

I did start with the DGT pups. I also wrote/scripted each riff for each part so I should at least be VERY close to playing the same part everytime. That may vary a little tiny bit once I've played the same riff 100 times....but I'll do my best.

I just bought my old '08 DGT pups from my sunburst DGT. I think PRS changed something so I bought them from the guy Al sold them to. I really didn't need to buy ANOTHER set of pickups, but I couldn't pass up the chance to test my theory.

I've gotten thru about 10 -12 sets so far. All PRS. It's amazing to hear the differences. Even in newer vs older versions of the same pups. Jumping into the Howie Leese pups tonight & the rest of the PRS pups. Then on to the other brands. I'm really getting burned out on my 6 licks I'm playing over & over. But the end result is worth it.

Finally done with all but 1 PRS pup. It should be here in a day or so. Still have some DSG pups to go thru.

Just acquired an '07 DGT Goldtop with handwritten stickers on the pups. Says see PRSh in the pup cavity. It's been around. Honestly reliced.
image.jpg

image1.jpg

Anyway, couldn't pass up the chance to measure the '07, '08 & '12's I have here. Here's what I found....
'07 Neck 7.3 - Tapped 3.69
'07 Bridge 8.64 - Tapped 4.38
'08 Neck 7.68 - Tapped 3.89
'08 Bridge 9.5! - Tapped 4.84 (this is the set from my old SB DGT I sold to Al)
'12 Neck 7.5 - Tapped 3.81 (From SDT)
'12 Bridge 8.92 - Tapped 4.55

They all sound good, but all a bit different. Video will be done shooting by the weekend.....I hope.....

Last edited:
UPDATE: Ok, I really thought I'd have this done & posted by now, but I keep getting pups in the mail!! I'm not complaining. I think the last 4 boxes will hit here early this coming week. I am already starting the editing process. The finished product will probably be in 2 or 3 parts. Lot's of VERY cool folks sent some very cool pups. Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

This has been asked more than a few times & I can finally answer it.

I'm very curious what you have planned for being able to listen to specific pups one after the other (as opposed to one ginormous long video).

There will be edits that, for example, will go,
Bridge pup #1, bucker mode 3-4 second lick/chords, then every other bridge pup doing the same thing. Then I'll tap it (if it can be tapped) & do the same thing.
Then I move to middle position (neck & bridge) and repeat process. When tapping here, it will always be both tapped.
Then neck, same ole, same ole.
Then clean lick #2 & repeat everything above.
Then crunchy chords. Repeat everything above
Lead lick. Repeat everything AGAIN.
Then move onto the next set of pups. And so on, and so on, etc........
There are a few times where I have a bridge pup by itself. When I did those I left out a neck pup. The strings ring out a bit more w/o a neck pup. Less magnetic pull. Kinda like a LP JR or an Esquire.

Each lick/chord thingy is only a few seconds long. 2-5 seconds. I tried to play the exact same thing every time, but after doing it a million times, the licks changed slightly. The tone on the Dallas and settings on the EP Booster & Kalamazoo never changed. Also, the mic never moved. I have a dehumidifier in the room so the humidity was always between 60-65%. Believe me, the amp sounds different if the humidity goes above that. Speaker doesn't move the same.

Even with doing these short licks, I will most likely need to break this up into a few videos. I may edit all PRS pups in 1 video, all DSG pups in another (I have more of those than any other builder) & then do the GREAT AMERICAN SHOOTOUT in a complete series of 2-3 videos. If I can't fit it all in 15 minutes, I'll break up into a clean video & a dirty one. I will try to keep them in some kind of order. For example, vintage, hot vintage, modern, etc.

This has been the longest and coolest project I've done so far. (it was easier copying that PRS Factory DVD & shipping over 100 of them all over the world!) I already have 3 more projects ready to start so editing has started and I will shoot the remaining pups that are coming in this week.
Thanks again to everyone who contributed. I really hope you all can hear what I heard. Some pups had minor differences, some major. I also discovered some new faves.
So anyway, that's how I'm doing it.

I hope to see a comparison between 57/08s (what's in my PRS) and the "Squabbin" 59/09s... Contemplating ordering those for my PRS. 53/10s are nice but probably not hot enough for me from what I've heard.

I hope to see a comparison between 57/08s (what's in my PRS) and the "Squabbin" 59/09s... Contemplating ordering those for my PRS. 53/10s are nice but probably not hot enough for me from what I've heard.
I am shooting the 53/10's on Wednesday. From what I've heard, they are the most vintage sounding of the "5's". The 59/09's, both covered & squabbed, sounded really nice. I have the covered ones in my TGS CU22 & they sound great. Warm & vintage with a little more attitude than the 57/08 which also sounds great and are a bit more glassy sounding to me.
Anyway, going in the dungeon to shoot some more, then back up for editing.
If you want more power, I would get the 59/09's if you stay w/ PRS pups.

Last edited:
OK. Just when I thought it was all said & done, I get an email from Tom (TV) Jones last night. He wants in. How can you say no to that? I didn't. I love his pickups & am VERY curious how they will sound in a DGT. SOOOOOOO........ Here's what I'm gonna do.
I will edit a PRS ONLY version & try to get that out ASAP. Then once the TV Jones pups are done I will put the whole thing together in (hopefully) 2 videos. Not sure if it will be one Clean & one Dirty, or just do the by groups with both Cleans & Crunchy's. Probably all cleans 1st.
Anyway, I know this is taking FOREVER. Believe me when I say I'm ready to finish this one up.
So again, I apologize for the delay. I never, in a million years thought this thing would get as big as it's gotten. It HAS been fun & I've discovered some cool pups. But I now have a backlog of about 8 demos to do and need to finish this one up.
I'll keep you all posted & thank you for your patience.

OK. Just when I thought it was all said & done, I get an email from Tom (TV) Jones last night. He wants in. How can you say no to that?

Anyway, I know this is taking FOREVER. Believe me when I say I'm ready to finish this one up.
That's awesome about TV jones. I've been curious about his pickups and just how different they are vs. others.

It's okay that it's taking a while to do. The reason is because it needed to be done. It's way WAY overdue that someone would take this on and all the pickup manufacturers (including PRS) should be paying you for this.

That's awesome about TV jones. I've been curious about his pickups and just how different they are vs. others.

It's okay that it's taking a while to do. The reason is because it needed to be done. It's way WAY overdue that someone would take this on and all the pickup manufacturers (including PRS) should be paying you for this.

Thanks John!

Back