CR's Pickup Shootout w/ my DGT Standard

crgtr

Zombie Eight - DFZ
I have gathered a few sets (PRS, Gibson, DSG, Duncan, Dimarzio) and am waiting on the last box now. Should be here by Tuesday. Thanks to all for contributing. If anyone has a set they want to add to the gathering, PM me & I'll add 'em in!
Shooting will start Tuesday or Wednesday. I have wired the DGT (Mr Clean) up for quick pup changes. It's ugly, but it works!
IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

A few other "inerd" shots.
Great volume kit for 'buckers!
IMG_2893.jpg

Awesome tone cap in there!
IMG_2894.jpg

This should be fun. Will take FOREVER to edit!!
Last call if anyone has a set or 2 they want to put up against these others. I promise I will take care of them & return them in a timely fashion.
I only want to do a shootout of this scale once!

Last edited:
I have these uncovered RPs that i cant seem to move and they are a pretty polarizing pickup. Might be interesting to hear them in an all hog fiddle...

Wanna see how they stack up? Or do you think there's enough PRS test subjects?

I have these uncovered RPs that i cant seem to move and they are a pretty polarizing pickup. Might be interesting to hear them in an all hog fiddle...

Wanna see how they stack up? Or do you think there's enough PRS test subjects?

Never enough PRS pups. Send 'em on. I'll PM you my address.

Using 9 volt connectors... IMHO, that's genius! I might just do that in my Epi Sheraton since pickup swaps are such a pain in the rear with that one.

Perhaps vastly different but im sure you will basically hear the same character of the guitar coming through all of em.If you put the original DGTs in different guitars,that would be interesting.Remember Larry Dimarzio started with the Super distortion pickup to meet the need for having the sound of a stack on 10 at lower volumes for players gigging at smaller clubs.

Well I agree that any good pickup will still allow the sound of the guitar to come thru, but a pickup is a microphone basically. And all mic's are not created equally. I've already pre-tested the DGT with my new quick change & the difference between the DGT's, McCarty's & DSG Southern Thunders are very clear. They all sound good, they all sound like that gtr & they all sound like me. Just different versions of me.
I appreciate your your point of view, but we will have to agree to disagree on how large an affect a pickup can have on a guitar. I would bet you would here a huge difference in your P90 PRS I see in your avatar if you tried a Fralin, TV Jones & a GFS P90 in there.

I was told earlier from most here to change pickups in that guitar when concerned with what i called a "boxed-in" sound.I changed the inhertiablock to steel and changed the character of the guitar to boot :).That comes through in the pickups now,killer pickups i might add.Cool test you are about to do i agree with :)

I've got pups being shipped in from all over so I'm gonna push back the shootout for a day or so. Too many good ones incoming. Can't leave them out. Covering a LOT of PRS: DGT, 57/08, 59/09. 53/10, RP, Deep Dish...... Several other builders will be represented also.
The list keeps getting bigger. Still time if someone has one or two they want included in the shootout. I promise to keep them in the same condition I get them in & return them quickly.

I'm anticipating this video more than just about any of your other great demos. You should get community service points for this one. Or maybe I'll just buy you a beer at the Experience. ;)

Tons of folks sending pups, so I'm pushing back a few more days. I need to shoot them all in one day. In the mean time.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f-Hat5Stbk
Last call if anyone has a set or 2 they want to put up against these others. I promise I will take care of them & return them in a timely fashion.

Here's a partial list of what I have on hand so far:

This list is growing as we speak, but so far I have:

PRS: DGT, 57/08, 59/09, 53/10 McCarty, RP, Deep Dish, Artist, Howard Leese

Gibson: Box full. Not sure how many will make it into the game.

DSG: I should have every model made. Around 7 or 8 sets

Duncan: OLD Custom, Pearly Gates, possible Slash set,

Bill Lawrence: 3 sets of mini's that I think I can make work with an altered pickup ring.

Lollar mini: see above

DIMARZIO: OLD un-named double cream bobbin bridge pup that sounds amazing!

Tom Holmes: Unsure what model...incoming

EVH: Frankenstein

Chris pm me your address.......I just got in today from PRS a set of Dragons and would love to hear them demo'ed in a hog DGT, considering getting one and would have tried the swap myself. They are still in the shipping box and I could get them in the mail tomorrow.

I got 6 boxes in the mail today!!! I think it's about 8 PRS sets!! We're getting close to video time!!

Really looking forward to this! I love your videos/demos.

I love the 57/08s in my CU24 but have always wanted to try 59/09s for a slightly hotter option in another future PRS.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I have a BOATLOAD of pups here now. Just waiting on the last 2 boxes. They should be here this week. I went with a different connection system. I didn't like the wire on the 9 volt adapters.
Here's the new system.
photobucket-3449-1341345170410.jpg

photobucket-4342-1341345168486.jpg

I don't think I'm gonna do coil tapping on this run. There are just too many pickups. I may change my mind tomorrow, but for now, I think we're just gonna go FULL-BUCKER mode for this shootout!

UPDATE!!

Ok...I start shooting tomorrow. I am expecting another box to be here on Monday, but I've got more than 1 days worth of shooting. I'll put a complete list up in a few days. Until then I thought I show you a preview of what's been showing up in the mail.
IMG_2910.jpg
IMG_2912.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg
IMG_2914.jpg
IMG_2915.jpg
IMG_2916.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg
IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2919.jpg
IMG_2922.jpg

Back