CR's Great American Pickup Shoot out - EPISODE I - PRS Bridge Pickups

crgtr

Zombie Eight - DFZ
Here's the the 1st installment of the pickup shootout. There are so many pickups that I will have to break it down to a pickup at a time and just 2-3 tone changes. On this one...EPISODE 1.....PRS pickups only. There are still more pickups showing up and I will shoot them and include them at a later date. So here ya go, let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions, don't be shy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video but being the jest i am i only get my point proven.I hear the same midrange character of that guitar model in all pickups.Most interesting to me was how good the cheramic HFS sounded.Suggestion would be to try the same pickup in different guitarmodels :).That would be very interesting.

Last edited:
Great video but being the jest i am i only get my point proven.I hear the same midrange character of that guitar model in all pickups.Most interesting to me was how good the cheramic HFS sounded.Suggestion would be to try the same pickup in different guitarmodels :).That would be very interesting.
I have another demo in the works that may get you some of that. I have an '07 & 2012 DGT and I have 3 set's of DGT pups. '07, '08 & 2012. I will be putting all 3 sets in both guitars. Should be interesting!!

Chris, great video. I was disappointed in how my Dragons sounded.......live to me in the exact same guitar they sound good.......I might have to try something else now to compare.....damn you see what you started! :cool:

Great project, and excellent execution. But by the time you get through the 57/08s I kind of lose focus, and when we start reaching the Dragons, I can't even tell what sounds best any more. That's not the fault of the process, it's simply that my mind starts to wander off.

I think brain fatigue happens after a while, and I really just need to live with a pickup to decide if it's going to work for me.

So far my favorites are the original DGTs, the 57/08s, and the 53/10s.

Great project, and excellent execution. But by the time you get through the 57/08s I kind of lose focus, and when we start reaching the Dragons, I can't even tell what sounds best any more. That's not the fault of the process, it's simply that my mind starts to wander off.

I think brain fatigue happens after a while, and I really just need to live with a pickup to decide if it's going to work for me.

So far my favorites are the original DGTs, the 57/08s, and the 53/10s.
I hear ya brotha! I have tried out so many pups playing the same licks for 2-3 months now. But I really like the '08 DGT's, the #6's & the Old Dragons in that guitar

You will inspire SO many people to swap pups now. Not sure how PRS will handle all of the orders!! :D

First I must say Chris very cool of you to do this video and thumbs up to everybody that sent pickups. Second , its hard to remember what sounded the best but for dirty tones I'm liking the 57/08's ( HolyGrail ) , #6's and the Dragon I. For a clean the McCarty and the 57/08's are what caught my ear but thats just me. So far it looks like my next PRS is gonna have to some 57/08's . Thanks again very cool.

I agree with this, so I started skipping around in the video to compare one pickup directly to another.

So Chris, some constructive criticism - if in future videos, you could leave the name of the pickups up on the screen the whole time instead of just for a few seconds at the beginning of the lick, that would help us skipper-arounders! Then we can A-B any two pickups.

I agree with this, so I started skipping around in the video to compare one pickup directly to another.

So Chris, some constructive criticism - if in future videos, you could leave the name of the pickups up on the screen the whole time instead of just for a few seconds at the beginning of the lick, that would help us skipper-arounders! Then we can A-B any two pickups.
You got it John. I will do that on the next one. Keep the ideas coming!!

Very Cool! The 6's were definitely one of my favorites as well, along with the Deep Dish, and the HFS was surprisingly good too. Thanks Chris for the effort you put into this!

I have a few sets you should try.......

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

great job, chris.
gotta listen to it again with studio headphones!
thx man!

Alright, here's my index list for the clean portion of the shootout. Maybe someone else can do the crunch section before I get to it.

DGT STD-0:59
tapped-1:06

08 DGT-1:12
tapped-1:22

07 Gold Top-1:33
tapped-1:43

57/08-1:52
tapped-2:03

59/09-2:11
tapped-2:19

53/10-2:30
tapped-2:42

Mira/245-2:53
tapped-3:04

RP-3:14
tapped-3:23

NOS Dragon-3:31
tapped-3:39

Old Dragon-3:41
tapped-3:57

#6-4:09
tapped-4:18

2nd #6-4:27
vol rolled back-4:37
tapped-4:47

NOS Howard Leese-4:57

Deep Dish-5:07
vol rolled back-5:19
tapped-5:28
tapped vol rolled back-5:38

McCarty-5:45
tapped-5:52

NOS Artist-6:01
tapped-6:12

NOS Santana-6:22

HFS Old-6:23
vol rolled back-6:42
tapped-6:52
tapped vol rolled back-7:00

SE Santana-7:10
vol rolled back-7:21

These should get you pretty close to the beginning of each demo. Hope it helps. Thanks again Chris.

Ya know, I forgot to say thanks! What's cool about this is that you CAN skip around and re-listen to pickups, and I just went back for a second listen.

You are SO the man, Chris! Just a wonderful thing you did.

Back