CR's Great American Pickup Shoot out - EPISODE I - PRS Bridge Pickups

What an effort, thanks a lot for doing this. Watched the whole thing twice last night :D

To me it has an extra informative value because I have the DGT Std as well. Must say that I'm very pleased with the DGT pickups but the sound of the 57/08s, 59/09s and Dragon I got me thinking.... :eek: ;)

Holy Crap!!!!!! I would consider reopening the shootout for those badboys...........Oh Momma!!!

At some point, you will have to go outside into the sunlight. Remember? That big, bright yellow disk in the sky? The one you can't seen from the basement? Hopefully someone is sending you food. ;)

At some point, you will have to go outside into the sunlight. Remember? That big, bright yellow disk in the sky? The one you can't seen from the basement? Hopefully someone is sending you food. ;)

Well, I DO see the sun most days. I usually eat....Oh yea, and I still have to go to my fulltime job 5 days a week..........What I REALLY need is sleep.... I can sleep when I'm dead. The pic of those rare PRS pups has me VERY curious!!!
I spoke w/ TV Jones. They are moving their facility right now so it will be a few weeks before he sends his pups. Kinda relived. Was ready for a break. But that pic above makes me do it all over again!

Here is an updated time index that includes the crunch tones as well. This is really good stuff Chris. Can't wait for the rest of the demos.

DGT STD-0:59
tapped-1:06
Crunch-7:35

08 DGT-1:12
tapped-1:22

07 Gold Top-1:33
tapped-1:43

57/08-1:52
tapped-2:03
Crunch-7:50

59/09-2:11
tapped-2:19
Crunch-8:10

53/10-2:30
tapped-2:42
Crunch-8:22

Mira/245-2:53
tapped-3:04
Crunch-8:44

RP-3:14
tapped-3:23
Crunch-9:07

NOS Dragon-3:31
tapped-3:39
Crunch-9:25

Old Dragon-3:41
tapped-3:57
Crunch-9:43

#6-4:09
tapped-4:18
Crunch-10:02

2nd #6-4:27
vol rolled back-4:37
tapped-4:47
Crunch-10:24

NOS Howard Leese-4:57
Crunch-10:47

Deep Dish-5:07
vol rolled back-5:19
tapped-5:28
tapped vol rolled back-5:38
Crunch-11:07

McCarty-5:45
tapped-5:52
Crunch-11:27

NOS Artist-6:01
tapped-6:12
Crunch-11:47

NOS Santana-6:22
Crunch-12:06

HFS Old-6:23
vol rolled back-6:42
tapped-6:52
tapped vol rolled back-7:00
Crunch-12:48

SE Santana-7:10
vol rolled back-7:21
Crunch-12:26

DiMarzio Tone Zone Crunch-13:10

Holy Crap!!!!!! I would consider reopening the shootout for those badboys...........Oh Momma!!!

Your welcome to them....I've never had them in any of my guitars, so it would be nice to hear what they sound like. The PAF +'s are suppose to be pretty special!

Thanks so much for this shoot-out Chris. It is hard to pick a favorite, each one has such a cool quality to them. A walk through PRS pickup history!!! You're work is appreciated!!!!

Very cool. The conclusion I came to was that none sounded bad:D
And really, it comes down to very specific personal taste for what you play and want your tone and dynamics to be like. The 5708 grail stood out to me on 1st listen through, as well as the 5909. At least I own both those pickups:)

Thanks for your dedication to this process to give folks an idea of pickups they maybe haven't heard and can't try out. Lots of work doing the demos, swaps - not to mention editing and putting it all together.

Ok, I'm taking Whitey up on his offer, so next month I will start another pup shootout with his rare bunch of PRS pups. Maybe TV Jones will have theirs here by then. In the mean time, I just finished editing a PRS neck pup shootout. All cleans on this one. Couldn't fit any crunch tones into the 15 time limit. SO here's a question....DO you guys want to hear the tones with both pups on together? I don't mind doing it, but if their is no interest in it, I may just leave it out for now. I haven't even gotten to the non-PRS stuff yet!!

Last edited:
Chris if your doing another round of PRS pups I have a swamp ash treble pup that I dont remember seeing in your shoot out if you want it.

PM'd you. Send it on, but take your time. It'll be mid-Sept before I start shooting again. Much, much editing to do. If anyone else has something they want in the shootout, let me know. I'll add it in Round II.

Ok, I'm taking Whitey up on his offer, so next month I will start another pup shootout with his rare bunch of PRS pups. Maybe TV Jones will have theirs here by then. In the mean time, I just finished editing a PRS neck pup shootout. All cleans on this one. Couldn't fit any crunch tones into the 15 time limit. SO here's a question....DO you guys want to hear the tones with both pups on together? I don't mind doing it, but if their is no interest in it, I may just leave it out for now. I haven't even gotten to the non-PRS stuff yet!!
I would say leave the middle position out(even though I use middle more than just neck position), unless you're going to pair the neck with it's match bridge pickup...but I think that'll be too much info and sensory overload in one video. I know some people have matched set, some mix/match.

Back