Crazy wood, what’s the attraction?

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
I kind of stole this from Les. He said fancy, but I’m not sure if I have anything that qualifies.
To get things started:
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

What attracted me to this top as that the lighter grain in the centre looked like a tree growing out of the ground. Finding a fingerboard that extended that imagery sealed the deal. It just called to me, literally in a dream.

The way I see it, there’s art made by man. But when art is made by nature and happens to also make great tone, it’s a quantum leap up. Especially when it resembles something meaningful, be it space, the ocean, the sunset sky, a bonfire.

Therein lies the attraction.

Here’s a example of what I mean. This photo is lifted from PSF thread (1 March 2019)

“The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!”
Vv0fmO8.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys are outfancying the h*ll out of my fiddles. But I do like a nice curly maple top. Just can't afford some of the ones I see here. But I really do love looking at mine.

Again...you guy's woods are kicking my woods' @$$.....But I like mine too :p

prsi_by_klbryanphotography_dd0ckpf-pre.jpg

Yeah, you guys are outfancying the h*ll out of my fiddles. But I do like a nice curly maple top. Just can't afford some of the ones I see here. But I really do love looking at mine.

Nothing wrong with those two pieces of topwood!!!!!! $weetne$$!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with those two pieces of topwood!!!!!! $weetne$$!!!!!!!!!
Don't get me wrong....they are respectable 10 tops....BUT, some of the artist grade tops, wood library stuff and private stock pieces you see on forums like this one make these look dull.

Don't get me wrong....they are respectable 10 tops....BUT, some of the artist grade tops, wood library stuff and private stock pieces you see on forums like this one make these look dull.

Not really... nice @$$ patterns on those guitar tops!

It's not like those suck in any way shape or form! I say appreciate the miracles of nature that have come your way and don't get fussed about what else may be out there!

(Ssshh... I've let some of the prettiest wood I had go to other people because it didn't sound as good as others in the herd.)

Personally, I prefer tops that have some 'character' to them, something that makes it look more 'unique', different and not something that looks as if it was drawn with a ruler across a guitar. I love Quilt maple as that is certainly not 'straight' lines which, according to many, straight lines don't occur in nature - although there are some 10 tops that look to disprove that.

1xL88Ns.jpg

This is one of my favourite tops that I own. This Custom 24 book match has created a Chevron pattern and has varying thicknesses of the lines too which adds to its uniqueness - like its own 'fingerprint'. I love the way it also changes depending on the angle you look at it - for example, the less figured area under the switch & Tone pot actually is more figured when viewed at a different angle.

MNZdo85.jpg

My PRS Special 22 Semi Hollow is another one of my favourites. The actual grain of the wood shows up very clearly and with the flame stripes, make this a LOT more interesting and 'unique' too. The grain is almost like contour lines on a map and really add to the character of this top.

My Hollowbody too has quite a lot of the natural grain showing up on its 1 piece top and back but hasn't really been captured in the photo's but being a 1 piece top, it doesn't have that symmetry which also adds to its unique look. Both my 594 and 509 are more 'typical' in that they are book-matched with horizontal lines with their own unique pattern of lines with different thickness, breaks etc. None of my guitars are 10-tops or better...

I kind of stole this from Les. He said fancy, but I’m not sure if I have anything that qualifies.
To get things started:
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

What attracted me to this top as that the lighter grain in the centre looked like a tree growing out of the ground. Finding a fingerboard that extended that imagery sealed the deal. It just called to me, literally in a dream.

Ohhh My...

I dont usually like fancy in-yer-face tops, but I've been utterly seduced :)

Back