Crazy prices for PS on reverb

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
After being told to look on reverb if I ever wanted a PS, there is stuff on their for 5 or 6 grand! I wonder why it sells so cheap, since these guitars are very limited, one offs and just generally expensive.

From my experience in playing Custom Shop Jackson guitars, and the difficulty in selling them, I can offer this:

Not every one-off guitar speaks to a lot of buyers. If one that is spec'd in a way that appeals to you, as a buyer, then that's great. But, a lot of times, a one-off is just enough outside of the box that most players aren't willing to shell out the cash.

Most of my CS Jackson's were based on the PC1, which is a mahogany body, quilted top, bolt-on with a quilted fretboard. It made for a nice, classy base. Surprisingly they were hard to sell because my one-off specs weren't globally appealing to Jackson players. Dyo, I'd sell at a significant loss to move an instrument.

When I'd spec Custom Soloists, I'd still lose money, but not as much because some of the Jackson hallmarks were there: NTB, and a pointy head stock.

I know when I'm dropping big dollars on gear it needs to fit exactly what I want. I see some good deal PS guitars, but they are still priced high enough that I get picky enough to pass.

From my experience in playing Custom Shop Jackson guitars, and the difficulty in selling them, I can offer this:

Not every one-off guitar speaks to a lot of buyers. If one that is spec'd in a way that appeals to you, as a buyer, then that's great. But, a lot of times, a one-off is just enough outside of the box that most players aren't willing to shell out the cash.

Most of my CS Jackson's were based on the PC1, which is a mahogany body, quilted top, bolt-on with a quilted fretboard. It made for a nice, classy base. Surprisingly they were hard to sell because my one-off specs weren't globally appealing to Jackson players. Dyo, I'd sell at a significant loss to move an instrument.

When I'd spec Custom Soloists, I'd still lose money, but not as much because some of the Jackson hallmarks were there: NTB, and a pointy head stock.

I know when I'm dropping big dollars on gear it needs to fit exactly what I want. I see some good deal PS guitars, but they are still priced high enough that I get picky enough to pass.
I found this beauty on reverb:https://reverb.com/item/31751257-paul-reed-smith-prs-nf3-private-stock-2010-natural-smokeburst and I am seriously gonna consider that! When would you ever find something like this ever again?? A bolt on PS with a flamed neck and abalone birds? Sign me up!

They don’t seem like particularly great prices. Just being a PS doesn’t mean a guitar is what someone wants. When a person is in the market for a pricey guitar, they likely have specific wants.

The used market reflects supply and demand. It really comes down to whatever the market will bear. At that price range, there are almost unlimited choices for a buyer, be it new or used.

It’s a lot like any sort of luxury goods. New prices are high, but used are often at a lower percentage of the new price than non-luxury goods.

That NF3 has been for sale for 8 months. That alone gives you the knowledge that there isn’t much demand for it.

I have looked at that guitar several times, and - even for that price - the specs don't speak to me enough to buy. I know of several other instruments I'd grab for that money.

However, if it speaks to you, then that's awesome.

My point above is proven.

They don’t seem like particularly great prices. Just being a PS doesn’t mean a guitar is what someone wants. When a person is in the market for a pricey guitar, they likely have specific wants.

The used market reflects supply and demand. It really comes down to whatever the market will bear. At that price range, there are almost unlimited choices for a buyer, be it new or used.

It’s a lot like any sort of luxury goods. New prices are high, but used are often at a lower percentage of the new price than non-luxury goods.

That NF3 has been for sale for 8 months. That alone gives you the knowledge that there isn’t much demand for it.
Well obviously, everyone has different tastes. And personally, I like that guitar, it's kind of a one off thing you never really see. It's a mix between a strat and a custom 24 which I like, mixed with a mira/starla. Like PS look insane, but this one just isn't really too flamboyant, which I like.

I've often seen some Private Stock guitars on the Internet where I find myself saying "Why is this a PS? It looks like a normal Core line guitar." I'd love to have a PS guitar but I'm not willing to pay that much for one. That's just me.

I personally don't need one that fancy and I'd be just as happy with a non-ten top as I would with a 10-top, Artist Package or better. If you are ever in a pinch and you need to sell something like a PS model to raise cash, it is a lot more difficult to find a sucker just like yourself who is willing to pay a whole lot more for an instrument that does the same thing as a lesser expensive model. You've got to "find the right buyer" as they say and that can be a very difficult thing to do sometimes.

I've often seen some Private Stock guitars on the Internet where I find myself saying "Why is this a PS? It looks like a normal Core line guitar." I'd love to have a PS guitar but I'm not willing to pay that much for one. That's just me.

I personally don't need one that fancy and I'd be just as happy with a non-ten top as I would with a 10-top, Artist Package or better. If you are ever in a pinch and you need to sell something like a PS model to raise cash, it is a lot more difficult to find a sucker just like yourself who is willing to pay a whole lot more for an instrument that does the same thing as a lesser expensive model. You've got to "find the right buyer" as they say and that can be a very difficult thing to do sometimes.
Well, I found something I really like that is a cheap PS and it's mint: https://reverb.com/item/31751257-paul-reed-smith-prs-nf3-private-stock-2010-natural-smokeburst I mean it's not too outrageous but very classy

I’ve bought a couple of fantastic PS’s on Reverb in the past 12 months or so. There are some great deals out there if you know what you’re looking for and are patient.

Also, ya gotta remember PSs weren't always well north of $10K. They started out more modest in price (and perhaps accoutrements), and a used "thing" is automatically discounted 30% from the "new" price if no other elements are at play. I'm not gonna pay 90% of new for a PS if I can go and actually spec out a new PS exactly the way I want it for that extra 10%! Exceptions might be super-limited materials (if you want mammoth ivory inlays, used market is only place now, for example).

Back